Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

And they say Solly isn't tall enough????????

edited August 2011 in General Charlton
Don't know if anyone else mentioned this but Bury's goalkeeper is 5'8...........same height as Solly who is apparently too short to play in defence.

Comments

• Options
    LOB HIM!
  • Options
    He's 6ft 2
  • Options
    He's 6ft 2
    Not according to the guys on charlton live this afternoon and a bury supporter they were interviewing.

If this is wrong I'll be suing charlton live for irreversable damage to my flawless reputation.

BDL, if you're reading this, my lawyers will be in touch.................................
  • Options
    Well he is 6ft 2
  • Options
    Quality game today
  • Options
    Tutt Tutt text me that Solly was motm.
  • Options
    I agree Solly doesn't need the height, he is fast, fearless and has a football brain. At Bury he was the best player.
  • Options
    he played great. didnt win every ball, but when he loses it he chases down untill he gets its back and continually pressures. a great engine in a small frame. his never give up attitude is heartening and must run off on his elder team mates. agree he was immense today.
  • Options
    That's thee player some of us saw as a kid and knew would grow into a real charlton player , solly or s dog as his friend calls him is a proper footballer
  • Options
    Their goalie could barely reach the cross bar when jumping - would say under 6 foot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    S-dog is 5' 8" or 8 inches depending on what way you look at him.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Hopefully this will put an end to all those stupid comments about our full backs being too short.

This is the players profile from the official Bury cub website:

Name: Cameron Belford
    Nationality: English
    Date of Birth: 16/10/1988
    Height:5' 8" (172cm)
    Weight:12st 4lbs (78.0kg)
    Previous  
    Clubs:Coventry City, Worcester City (loan), Tamworth
    Position: Goalkeeper
  • Options
    Plenty of excellent smallish full backs, past and present. It can be an advantage in terms of balance, low centre of gravity, agility. The only disadvantage is in the air  but that can be compensated for by using upper body strength to put off the attacker whilst jumping or by the centre halves covering. I really don't know why people think this is an issue with Solly, he's hardly a midget, anyone remember, Johnny Harrison or even Allan Simonson, both were 5'4" or perhaps even smaller.
  • Options
    How tall was Worner? Out of interest?
  • Options
    I don't think anybody is saying Solly is rubbish because he isn't so tall, just that he would be even better if he was. He did good yesterday and has played well this season but maybe if he was 6ft he might not be playing with us.
  • Options
    I don't think anybody is saying Solly is rubbish because he isn't so tall, just that he would be even better if he was. He did good yesterday and has played well this season but maybe if he was 6ft he might not be playing with us.
    and maybe if he was 6ft, he wouldn't be as good? His strengths would be different and he might not be as determined as he's had to maybe give that little bit more to compensate his height?

Just sayin..............
  • Options
    I think his posture makes him look even smaller than he is, from a distance he looks like one of the kids in my sons Under 9 team, but as the new saying goes if you're good enough your tall enough.
  • Options

My MOTM yesterday.

So composed on the ball with a great footballing brain IMHO .

Love him to bits ! And think SCP does too...

• Options
    Listening to the commentary yesterday, Stevie Bown was singing his praises saying he was our best player yesterday.
  • Options
    How tall was Worner? Out of interest?

Wikipedia says 6ft 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A certain ex-left back isn't exactly tall either, but managed to jump out the tunnel ok!

Am glad to hear Solly is doing so well. I always thought he had promise and thought I'd got it wrong when I read comments on CL before.

• Options
    Solly was excellent yesterday ,a class act we must have some very tall people on Charlton Life ;0

I'm glad he's not tall otherwise he might have been a window cleaner ;0
  • Options
    i'm 5, 4", so to me solly is quite tall, lol. what we wouldn't give to have an allan simonsen back in our side. only saw him play once and that has stayed with me long enough to know 5, 4" is enough if you're good enough. isn't maradonna 5, 4". ok he may be a cheat but he was bloody good and it never stopped him holding off 6 ft+ defenders of world class quality.

Solly is in our team on merits and his build is irrelevant. FACT
  • Options
    Most people look small next to me (hence the name) and Solly looks short even when he isn't standing next to me, but.......

Yesterday he was outstanding.  A proper 'Charlton player' if I ever saw one - his grit, determination and intelligence were a joy to behold.  It was truly great to see.  Well done 'S-dog'!
  • Options
    Plenty of excellent smallish full backs, past and present. It can be an advantage in terms of balance, low centre of gravity, agility. The only disadvantage is in the air  but that can be compensated for by using upper body strength to put off the attacker whilst jumping or by the centre halves covering. I really don't know why people think this is an issue with Solly, he's hardly a midget, anyone remember, Johnny Harrison or even Allan Simonson, both were 5'4" or perhaps even smaller.
    Not sure Johnny H is a good example QA.
    Remember one of his early games he came up against arrogant self-loving Brighton centre back Steve Foster; who proceeded to dump him on his pants then pick him up and pat him on the head like a small child.
    I don't think Johnny ever recovered
  • Options
    Alan Wright - 5ft 4ins - Kenny Dalglish's first signing at Blackburn for £500k. Played 260 games for Villa & England u-21 international. Height wasn't a problem.
  • Options

Going back a bit, but Billy Bremner was only 5'4" and he more than made up for his height with his aggression

• Options

Going back a bit, but Billy Bremner was only 5'4" and he more than made up for his height with his aggression

Going back a bit further Napoleon was only 5ft 1 and he conquered half of Europe.
  • Options
    Was he any good at football?
  • Options
    Billy Bremner - I thought we were discussing full backs?.......N.Bonaparte was a midfield General. Tactically weak and struggled at times in European competition. Did ok against weaker Eastern European countries.