Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• I see nothing wrong with that.
  • I take issue with the shirt-tie-suit combo.

• I take issue with the shirt-tie-suit combo.

Good spot, that is a very bad choice.

• More offensive that Jenkinson was playing non league last season. Pratt.
  • Can't see why she's apologising..............................it's not as if anyone can understand him with his thick Oirish accent.
  • Its not really offensive, just insensitive really. More htan anything its plain stupid. People surely recognise by now that its a stupid thing to do
  • I do think that to refer to a game of football in the same lines as having a Holocaust is pretty distasteful and the apology was therefore quite correct.

• He's below Merson in the brains dept
  • He's below Merson in the brains dept

Bloody Hell, that is a big call!

• More offensive that Jenkinson was playing non league last season. Pratt.

TBF he was. Jenkinson was on loan at Eastboune, before we recalled him to play in the JPT against Brentford.
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't see the problem . It's only a word to describe a terrible event , it's not offensive unless it's perposely directed at someone who is Jewish.
    Another fuss over nothing.
  • Agree with Bedsaddick - it means "total destruction, usually by fire" unless the context dictates otherwise.

In written form, a capital letter is used when referring to the Nazi atrocities.
  • Oirish accent? He's about as Oirish as the Dali Lama. He played for Ireland under the granny rule but after he retired from international football it was revealed that his link to the Oirish granny was through an adoption so he had been an illegitimate international player all those years.
  • it makes no sense any way. also has any one seen the two most liked comment's 
  • Nobody would ever be offended by what he said. Certain people would just think he maybe shouldn't have said that and complain like everything else because they have no lives.
  • As people have said, it doesn't make any sense. It's one for the Colemanballs column of Private Eye rather than the International War Crimes Tribunal.
  • The fact they apologised immediately should have been the end of it. People do like to have a moan.
  • Ridiculous use of the word.
  • Bad use of the word and played for Millwall...........will he ever learn!   
  • You sure thats not Parky?
  • Sponsored links:

• The batsmans Holding the bowlers Willey. Things get said that given even a seconds thought would not have been said. Add to that the lack of intelligent vocabulary available to Cas then why be surprised. Confident that nothing distasteful was meant but apology was appropriate.
  • Agree with SHG and others that nothing offensive was intended. It's just such a remarkably silly choice of word. Sportsmen being interviewded are constantly trying to introduce new terms to describe the same scenarios, resulting in someone having a good game being "massive", the new ball in cricket becoming a somewhat oversized "cherry" etc. Some are amusing and colourful, some are annoying and catch on until everyone feels obliged to quote them, and some are just plain nonsense. Cascarino's autobiography's a good read though. 
  • I'm not sure anyone has actually been offended, have they? I've not seen or heard from anyone who heard that comment and went "Oh my god, I am very distressed by this." any more than most on-air screw ups. This is the standard approach to news - something is said that COULD be deemed offensive. News outlets pick it up, decide if it's worth turning into a story, and contact any possible organisations they can think of for a quote. 

"Hey, Holocaust survivors would you find this offensive..."
    "Who is Tony Cascarino?"
    "Doesn't matter. Are you offended?"
    "Well.. I guess he could have picked his words better..."

Ergo: HOLOCAUST SURVIVORS OUTRAGED BY CASCARINO COMMENT
  • Should have revised his choice of words as 'holocaust' was always going to give the media something to talk about.
  • edited August 2011
    Just watched "The Boy in the striped pyjamas" film on TV - pretty moving stuff and shows just how ridiculous the use of the word was in a football context to be fair. Ignorance / stupidity is no excuse.
  • Maybe that's what Clarke and Di Canio were arguing about.
  • I'm sorry the meaning of holocaust, meaning a great slaughter?  What double standards many of you have.  Pardew says a defenders been raped and many of you call for his BBC head.

I think an event where hundreds, or thousands, or millions are killed is a little more severe in mis-appropriation.  Be you Zorostrian, Armenian, Delhian, Nanjingian, Russian or Romany I figure it's up there with one of the most inappropriate hyperbollox that a talksport operative can say.

It makes you wonder if he should be placed on a different pogrom.
  • Small point Jimmy, whilst I think this was innapropriate and awful, apart from those survivors or direct relatives, you'd have to be pretty pathetic to take offence to complaint level.  Who many complaints did J Ross and Twat Brand get after their broadcast?  Hmmm I think it was none.  How many did they get when the Daily Mail picked up on a tiny buzz?  Hmmm a record total.

Whilst I don't think many survivors listen to rent a quote twats, they are still about.  We all make mistakes, but these verbal prats shoudl stick to talksport.