Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shops with decent real ale range

Could you recommend me any offies or similar which have a good choice of real ales?  Eltham /Welling/Bexley area.

Thanks!

Comments

• If you're not opposed to shopping in the major supermarkets, they all carry a decent range of real ales these days. Sainsburys in Eltham will have a decent selection, as do Asda in Charlton. Beers like Black Sheep, London Pride, Brakspears Oxford Gold, Spitfire, Tribute, Old Speckled Hen and dozens of others. Enjoy! 
  • What I am really hoping for is to pick up one of those IPA beers that have been brewed especially to go with Indian food, since we are having a big curry night at home on Sat
  • Bit out of your area R but Bitter End in Bromley has the more obscure as well as mainstream stuff.

Oddbins normally have a good range but most supermarketd as PG says have a few these days
  • Innis and Gunn, a pale ale is excellent with spicy food.
  • Punk IPA by Brewdog is very nice with hot food (and in general!) and can be found in Sainsbury's.
  • Have you ever ordered a box or barrel from a brewery? You can get 18, 36 or 72 pint boxes delivered to your doorstep and its about the same price if not cheaper than buying bottles at a superkmarket and tastes better in my opinion. You have to finish it within about a week though is the downside but good for things like xmas or parties. 
  • Timothy Taylor's Landord (Pale Ale) is the champagne of Ales. Waitrose has the best supermarket selection and normally has several beers on offer (cheaper than other supermarkets).
  • What Cordoban said...Waitrose in Dartford stock a lot of indie/microbrewery stuff on top of the old favourites. Never quaffed the old Tex Ritter with curry meself so can't recommend anything specific.
  • Timothy Taylor's Landord (Pale Ale) is the champagne of Ales. Waitrose has the best supermarket selection and normally has several beers on offer (cheaper than other supermarkets).
    Even my local in Cornwall has been doing Timmy Taylor's Landlord for months now - they say it's their best seller.

Lovely stuff!
  • I don't think IPA was brewed to go with curry, more to go with hot weather (British troops serving in India), but its got to be better than gassy lager that seriously bloats you meaning you can't get as much food in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Get yourself some Sierra Nevada.  Available in most supermarkets and utterly superb.
  • Waitrose in Bromley is pretty good and they seem to vary their range quite a bit.They even had Otter Ale from Devon in there a few weeks back!
  • Thanks for all the advice guys. Half the problem is knowing where to get the stuff. As an occasional visitor I find that  Eltham , where my Mum and sister live,and where I was brought up, is pretty useless. At least I now know where the nearest Waitrose's are, and will probably get down there. 

• Get yourself some Sierra Nevada.  Available in most supermarkets and utterly superb.
    That is good gear for an American beer. Was drinking that on Friday night in brew wharf in borough Market.
  • Morrisons in sidcup has a large selection of bottled ales. In fact i'm drinking one now.

• By the way,  can I get a pint of Courage Best in the East Stand on Monday night?
  • By the way,  can I get a pint of Courage Best in the East Stand on Monday night?
    yes, i believe its available in all stands now
  • why not try the Faversham Hop Festival on all this weekend in the market square Faversham, hosted by Shepherd Neame, good bands, good beer no football to mess it up untill Monday. perfect, sore head time !!
  • not trying to be an ale party pooper but i find landlord a bit boring!
  • Not a big fan of Shepherd Neame's, when it was hard to get a good ale in my youth we used to drink Spitfire quite often as it was in a lot of pubs.  Though I must say I do like their Late Red which is a relative new addition to their range I believe.  Asda have that one, and are in general very good for ales.

For me Badger's are about the best that are reguarly stocked in supermarkets.  Though I wouldn't go near their elderflower one.

If you're around Crofton Park/Brockley Mr Lawerence is a cracking beer shop.  When I used to live there it was a family run businees, with a very helpful oldish lady, and a brilliant selection of ales.  Quality selection of beers, especially local, and good prices unlike the bollox charges you'd get in say Borough market.

http://www.mrlawrencewinemerchant.co.uk/id18.html

PS IPA wasn't brewed for India or curry.  Pale Ale was one of the only beers that survived the lengthy sea journey under sail, and supposedly improved under sail.  So I believe it became profitable for breweries to make it and ship it to India, as other export markets were closing and India was where the money was.
  • Sponsored links:

Courage Best....Surely we could have a better ale than that!
  • Sorry for going off thread slightly, but does anyone know how to get Ruby Leffe in this country? I had it in Lens a couple of years ago but i cant get it online. Bloody lovely stuff from a drunken memory...
  • Think I saw it in sainsburys today- but I'm in Plymouth...
  • Bitter End- Bromley. 6 barrels of proper beer rotated regular.
    Last Friday I bought 4 pints of Harveys and 4 pints of something else which I cannot recall the name of. They let you taste before you buy.

Courage Best....Surely we could have a better ale than that!

Agreed - it's better than no real Ale though and they didn't ask what we wanted. I think its quite a harmless and inoffensive choice though - and won't get you steaming drunk - maybe suggest a second barrel is brought in which they vary each game. The guy to at the club i contacted is Paul Ellison i think. Over to you.
  • You cant beat a Piddle

http://dorsetpiddlebrewery.co.uk/

Thats what i was drinking last night - from Morrisons, a £1.00 a bottle 'piddle in the hole' or something i think its called - not bad at all.
  • Waitrose in Bromley is pretty good and they seem to vary their range quite a bit.They even had Otter Ale from Devon in there a few weeks back!

Just back from Devon and sampled the delights of the Otter Ale, absolutely superb drop.

My local Sainsbury's in Wallington stock quite a few decent bottles.

• edited September 2011
    Think I saw it in sainsburys today- but I'm in Plymouth...
    Red Mist .......Whereabouts in Plymouth are you? ......... I'm not so far away in SE Cornwall.
  • Get a great selection here in totnes, my local supplies the Houses of parliament bar