Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gary Neville

There have been times when I reflected on my international career and just thought: ‘Well, that was a massive waste of time.’

At Euro 2000, we could have played for
30 years and we’d never have succeeded. We weren’t good enough, not by a
million miles. My brother would take terrible stick for the way we went
out, with him giving away a penalty against Romania, but he did us a
favour by sparing us any more punishment.
I told him repeatedly that he had nothing to feel bad about. ‘We were s***, Phil. We were going home soon enough anyway.’
Great attitude Gary

I regard
myself as patriotic but, truth be told, playing for England was a bonus.
Winning for my club was always the most important thing, and given a
straight choice of a European Cup with United or a European Championship
with England, it’s United every time.

So, not that patriotic, then, Gary.

I thought I might even be captain
when David Beckham missed a friendly against Paraguay in April 2002.
Sven sat me down at the front of the coach on the way to the ground.
‘Gary, I’m going to make Michael Owen captain tonight.’ Typical Sven, he
tried to be diplomatic. He practically told me that I was a more
natural captain than Michael. He was almost apologising to me.

So
why didn’t he give me the job? Nothing personal against Michael, but
there were other players, like Rio Ferdinand, Gerrard, Frank Lampard and
me, who were more obvious contenders. But Michael was the bigger name,
and Sven could be a little weak like that.

Possibly your attitude, Gary?

Comments

• Options
    sounds to me like he is talking a lot of sense? ...
  • Options
    ..and trying to sell his book!
  • Options
    no, he would get someone else to write it then try and sell it.
  • Options
    would he write it and not try to sell it?
  • Options
    no, he would get someone else to write it then try and sell it.
    you make a good point
  • Options
    He's gone up in my estimation over the last few weeks. A pundit at last that has played the game recently and is not afraid to say what he thinks.
  • Options
    sounds to me like he is talking a lot of sense? ...
    Agree
  • Options
    Saw David James, Phil Neville and i think Lee Nixon talking about the first quote and even Phil looked shocked at him saying it. James looked downright annoyed with him! I agree we wouldnt have won anyhting with our "golden generation" but it isnt really acceptable, you would hope that the players would care more. I feel bad for people like Becks working their arse off while Gary wallows in the back saying "we're not good enough".
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Leaving aside Kevin Keegans inspired management, around the period RedNev's talking about there was no love lost between the Arsenal and Man Utd players in the squad, which probably made it even harder for them to function as a unit. Beckham once referred to it in a "that's all behind us" sort of way, probably after he went to Madrid. As a fan you just wish they would grow up and get on with it. Every time I see Neville, I just think of one of Ronnie Barkers lines in Porridge - "he's a charmless nurk"
  • Options
    Think back 11 years that team was shocking, I make him a 100% right bar the shit that went out to south Africa and put in dross performances game after game the team from 2000 under performed more than any other squad of my adult life

The problem is we don't like to hear it yet we all think it,

Gary Neville was a great full back, you used to get the ridiculous comments he wouldn't have played for England if he didn't play for man utd , yet those saying it didn't understand that if he was a shite as they say he wouldn't have played for man u ,

Fair play to him turning into a great pundit, I enjoy him on there and I thought he would be crap,
    I agree with everything he says, if i was a pro footballer winning things with my club over a season would mean more to me than with England,

As a fan i want england to win something more than charlton but that's my opinion Neville is entitled to his
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds fine to me
  • Options
    There have been times when I reflected on my international career and just thought: ‘Well, that was a massive waste of time.’

At Euro 2000, we could have played for
    30 years and we’d never have succeeded. We weren’t good enough, not by a
    million miles. My brother would take terrible stick for the way we went
    out, with him giving away a penalty against Romania, but he did us a
    favour by sparing us any more punishment.
    I told him repeatedly that he had nothing to feel bad about. ‘We were s***, Phil. We were going home soon enough anyway.’
    Great attitude Gary

I regard
    myself as patriotic but, truth be told, playing for England was a bonus.
    Winning for my club was always the most important thing, and given a
    straight choice of a European Cup with United or a European Championship
    with England, it’s United every time.

So, not that patriotic, then, Gary.

I thought I might even be captain
    when David Beckham missed a friendly against Paraguay in April 2002.
    Sven sat me down at the front of the coach on the way to the ground.
    ‘Gary, I’m going to make Michael Owen captain tonight.’ Typical Sven, he
    tried to be diplomatic. He practically told me that I was a more
    natural captain than Michael. He was almost apologising to me.

So
    why didn’t he give me the job? Nothing personal against Michael, but
    there were other players, like Rio Ferdinand, Gerrard, Frank Lampard and
    me, who were more obvious contenders. But Michael was the bigger name,
    and Sven could be a little weak like that.

Possibly your attitude, Gary?

There's nothing there that I disagree with, in fact it makes sense.

-- At Euro 2000 we were shit and the tournament only came to life for me once we went home, I think the four semi-finalists were France, Portugal, Italy and the Dutch, four great footballing sides who would have embarrassed England had we come got that far. Yet our mypoic press always builds these things up and treats the customary rude awakening as a national tragedy.

-- In football club comes before country, very few players put country first and then club, that's the way it is. Our own Dean Kiely retired from international football to prolong his club career and his earning potential and plenty of good footballers have never had a decent look in because they played for the wrong club team. How often did football fans despair when seeing Lampard and Gerrard continually get picked when it was blindingly obvious that their games and skills did not complement one another? Our very own Darren Bent somehow managed to miss being picked for England in the 2004 WC squad despite being top goal scorer in the prem that year. Yet SGE preferred to take Walcott, an untried and untested player, who just happened to play for a bigger club. Playing for England is not about patriotism or pride, but a matter of club politics. The players know that and so do we fans.

-- Why didn't he get the job as captain, I think he's on the money here again. Owen was the bright, attractive player who you could rely to look good at the toss-up, but not really a leader of men or the type to lead by example. As with everything SGE did it was a political decision. 

• Options
    Gary Neville's problem as an England player was that he had to play behind Beckham who to be fair did get back to help out, but for all his footballing skills further up the park was a complete liability in defence. Once goldenballs had retired he looked a much better player. What I liked about him was that he never did anything that he knew he wasn't technically capable of - his strength was that he knew his game and played to it. Too many defenders try and play like wingers and compared with say Ashley Cole he looked weak but really was just not flamboyant, rarely was he beaten on the outside or had wingers running rings around him all match. He would never have lasted that long at OT if he couldn't defend.
  • Options

Like and respect Neville a lot, he was a fine RB and been impressed by him as a pundit. Seems to talk sense and despite his United bias, already prefer him to Redknapp. From the passage above, it is hard to disagree with any of it and looking forward to reading his book.

On another note, Theo Walcott also had a book out, least Neville has something to talk about.

• Options
    I always thought Neville was a solid right back. Made the marauding runs in support when he had to and was reliable. I agree with his opinion in all three of those statements. Bad management has held back England progressing into an actual class International team. 

I understand people not liking the fact that a player capped as much as Neville has made such negative statements about England throughout the years, but why is it surprising? Look at the continuity in failing to perform at major tournaments from 2000 to 2010. England have not advanced with all their (apparently worth) 60k a week players. 
  • Options
    BlackForestReds said:  Our very own Darren Bent somehow managed to miss being picked for England in the 2004 WC squad despite being top goal scorer in the prem that year.

I completely agree with this but since when was there a world cup in 2004 and when did Darren bent play for us? not 2004  

But yes the bigger your club the more likely you are to be picked no matter how good/bad your playing 
  • Options

-- Why didn't he get the job as captain, I think he's on the money here again. Owen was the bright, attractive player who you could rely to look good at the toss-up, but not really a leader of men or the type to lead by example. As with everything SGE did it was a political decision. 

Great post BFR. The only thing I think I disagree with (and I still agree with most of it) is your statement quoted above.  

I'm not sure all players, even the modern ones, regard international football as second best to club football.  I might be wrong and may make myself look naive here, but to me Beckham was a brilliant choice of captain because you felt he would give his all for England to win in every game he played.  Bryan Robson, Terry Butcher, Tony Adams, David Platt even - all wore the armband and played their best football at international level. 

That Neville didn't is, for me, a symptom of where his heart was - Utd - and every reason not to give him the armband. 
  • Options
    Unlike a lot of the (self-proclaimed) stars who have turned out for England in recent years, Neville always gave his all and is entitled to an opinion. Always makes me smile when an ex-player or manager comes out and says what the fans figured out ages ago and it's a big revelation. OK fans don't know the whole story all the time, but they can see when things are chronically wrong like the period Neville was talking about.

Still think he's a sourpuss though....!
  • Options
    He might be right, he might be wrong, but he still is a boring manc twat who can't grow a moustache.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    make him right club over country every time
    england winning the world cup or us getting promotion out of this pub league

promotion for me

doesnt mean winning the world cup wont be brilliant but when push comes to shove my love towards charlton is far greater than my national identity
  • Options
    He might be right, he might be wrong, but he still is a boring manc twat who can't grow a moustache.

Lol
    make him right club over country every time
    england winning the world cup or us getting promotion out of this pub league

promotion for me

doesnt mean winning the world cup wont be brilliant but when push comes to shove my love towards charlton is far greater than my national identity

This. Spot on OooohAaaaah
  • Options
    Charlton first for me every time.
  • Options
    I think Neville is right, he's pretty much spot on with what he says there.
  • Options
    But the best team doesn't always win the competition so going with the attitude, we're shit we'll be out soon is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Great player. His brother was one of the best signings ever.
  • Options
    From the BBC this morning
    Paul Ince has launched a stinging attack on the England team, claiming
    players no longer consider it a privilege to play for their country.
    "Playing for England used to be the pinnacle of your career. Now it's
    not that important as we have the Champions League and Premier League."
  • Options

Is that the same Paul Ince who refused to take a penalty in the Euro '96 semi? The same one who sat with his back to the shoot out? The Guvnor??? Pah! 

• Options
    It looks as though Gazza has got the Andy Gray skyjob .. all I can say is ... Bring back Andy f f s,  at least Gray has a sense of humour
  • Options
    I couldn't agreee more with Neville and he's only saying what we've all been thinking for years, what's the problem?