Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Improvement of the football league

Now Charlton are in league 1 and have been for a few years its good to keep in touch with league 1 (of course), 2 and blue square league. I think football has improved in all these leagues too and has been more interesting and entertaining in recent years; Especially this year. Including us, there are more 'big clubs' in the lower leagues too, and are more attractive clubs to look out for such as the great success of afc Wimbledon, Swindon (Di canio's antics) and Just more interesting bigger talking points to come from the lower leagues. I hate Charlton being where we are and of course immidiate promotion is required for this season, but being where we are you get to learn more about other teams around you and it broadens your football knowledge. I happily watched the full 90 of Swindon vs Rotherham yesterday which a few years ago I would not have 'wasted my time' with or bothered watching. Of course it was interesting because of Di canio and stuff, but it was a big game as Rotherham were top and swindon were on a slide. Good entertaining game and not bad football. My main point is that its good to take an interest in all the football leagues which I would not have previously done when we were in the premiership. There all good leagues.

Comments

• Good post Dave. I've heard a few football people suggest their is actually better quality of football being played in league one than in the championship, which is supposedly a lot more physical in the last couple of seasons.
  • From what i have seen of the championship it seems much more like the top flight quality of the 70's and 80's before the money and sky player influx.
  • i often see quite a few championship games as my brother plays in the under 11's @ millwall and get free tickets. i notice that the gap between league 1 and championship is small. i sit there thinking we could easily beat both these teams, we play better football etc and its is much more exciting then the pren. on paper anyone of the 24 league 1 or championship teams could win the league whereas in the prem you know its going to be the top 4 who wins. 
  • have thought for some time that the premiership is essentially a super league. the english football structure starts at the championship and works its way downward.