Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Walliams

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but this Thames Swim he is doing is amazing.

Even swimming along having bad "thames tummy" last week.  Imagine what he has swallowed.  Yuck.

I swim for an hour at a time and get badly fatigued after just that.  I think its brilliant what he has done and he hasnt given up even tho he's been in a right old state.
Raised nearly a million now.

Comments

• Options
    Imagine what he has swallowed.

And he is doing this swim :-)

Him and Eddie Izzard have staggered me with their achievements the last couple of years. Unbelievable
  • Options
    Undoubtedly what he is doing is amazing, his comedy isn't brilliant (a bit too stupid for my liking) but he is a lovely man, he also comes across as relatively intelligent in various interviews I have watched so his character is probably his binary opposite. But yes wonderful, brave and challenging thing he is doing and I am sure he will be doing many more charity fundraisers in the future.  
  • Options
    Imagine what he has swallowed.

And he is doing this swim :-)

Him and Eddie Izzard have staggered me with their achievements the last couple of years. Unbelievable
    Never really had a lot of time for Walliams or Izzard but their physical challenges over the last couple of years have been nothing short of remarkable.  Got a lot of respect for the pair of them now.
  • Options
    Dont like the guy but as its been said this is an impressive effort
  • Options
    Yes Izzard's one was also staggering.

On the final stretch now, should be at westminster about 6.30-7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqVOMMVB2Fo

• Options
    Nutter , would not fancy swimming in the Thames if you paid me.
  • Options
    Good publicity isn't !
  • Options
    Good publicity isn't !
    For what? He could have sat in a bath of beans and got good publicity but is doing something most of us wouldn't have a chance of finishing. Jeez dont be so cynical...
  • Options
    Wasn't really a fan at all, but after seeing an interview and reading about just what he's gone through on this swim, you really have to hand it to the bloke.
  • Options
    Take my hat off to the man. I love swimming but wouldn't risk swimming in that cess pit.

How Thames Water can dump 500,000 cubic litres of untreated sewage into the Thames in this day and age is beyond me.  If that's what I pay my water rates for, then I think I'll cut out the middle man and save my money.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    saved a drowning dog to
  • Options
    Gotta say David Walliams has certainly walked the walk ;-)
  • Options
    Gotta say David Walliams has certainly walked the walk ;-)
    No, that was Ian Botham
  • Options
    He should do an advert for imodium now.
  • Options
    I was hoping he'd pull Miranda in and see if she floats.

I'd give em a fiver for that.
  • Options
    Good publicity isn't !
    ...for the charity.

Well done David.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    If you think the Thames is a cess pit, you really have no idea of the river at all.  I've been around the river all my life, and most of my family worked on it.  Can remember getting on boats from Barking power station pier, and even though it was a lot better in the 70's and 80's compared to the 50's you wouldn't want to go in it then.  The huge number of litres of untreated sewage, whatever it is amount they were talking about, happens when there's a big increase in rain fall.  They used to send out the Thames bubbler in scenarios like that to help pump oxygen into the water.  Don't know if they still do.  You don't get porpoises or seals up the river if there's no fish, and you don't get large amounts of fish in a polluted river.

Good luck to him and well done on his achievement.  But they do like a bit of hyperbole in the mix, seen as most of that sewage would have gone in at Beckton/Woolwich I'd suggest it had little effect on him.  Indeed the rain might have propelled him that little bit faster on tide.

• Options
    Agree on the river - live near Henley and swim in it from time to time in the summer - though it's been bl00dy cold all this year. Never had a problem with Thames Tummy, and if it hasnt recently rained the water is often crystal clear.

Saw Walliams swimming past Hambleden lock last Friday. The support boats made me laugh - speed limit on the river is 8kph, they are following a marathon swimmer doing 2 mph so of course they had to have two massive RIBs with 250hp engines. Bonkers!

• Options
    Fantastic achievement - hate the blokes name - it just grates on me.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Very modest too on the One Show last night. Described his achievement as "Just swimming really".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fantastic achievement - hate the blokes name - it just grates on me.

Wanted to use "Williams" as his professional name, but that was already taken.

Hats off to the man - must be very fit.

• Options
    I really respect the man. Not as a comedian, but as a person. How many people would swim down that river? I know I wouldn't. After all it was "just swimming really."