Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car Insurance for 18 year old who has just passed test

I am expecting my son to pass his driving test in the next 1 or 2 months - when he will be pestering me to make him a named driver on my car.

Has anyone got experience re 'cheap quotes'? I have got a few quotes on line - ranging from 2K up to 10K!! I can get a bit off if he does the 'Pass Plus' extra lesson. Insurance is a total rip off!

Comments

• I am expecting my son to pass his driving test in the next 1 or 2 months - when he will be pestering me to make him a named driver on my car.

Has anyone got experience re 'cheap quotes'? I have got a few quotes on line - ranging from 2K up to 10K!! I can get a bit off if he does the 'Pass Plus' extra lesson. Insurance is a total rip off!

I passed last year at 23

I added my mum and step dad to my policy and it went from 1700 to 1300. They have both driven for 20+ years, no points, no claims.

I also found it was cheaper to say i parked it on the road rather than a drive . This is something to do with the keys being stolen and then the cars being easily identified on the drive or something. This took about £30 off.

Policy was still 1270 with a hefty excess but at least it saved me 430 quid

• Insurance companies = Totally bent bookies.
  • Insurance companies = Totally bent bookies and licensed thieves.
    Just made that more accurate for you.
  • I am expecting my son to pass his driving test in the next 1 or 2 months - when he will be pestering me to make him a named driver on my car.

I passed last year at 23

I added my mum and step dad to my policy and it went from 1700 to 1300. They have both driven for 20+ years, no points, no claims.

I also found it was cheaper to say i parked it on the road rather than a drive . This is something to do with the keys being stolen and then the cars being easily identified on the drive or something. This took about £30 off.

Policy was still 1270 with a hefty excess but at least it saved me 430 quid

Those prices make my eyes water, its hardly worthwhile having a bloody car at those prices.

Jesus! A kind of car mortgage.
  • I make you right Ormy - especially when you consider that he will spend the next five years ferrying his mates around for free, being unable to drink when he goes out and eventually ending up with the inevitable six points on his license from speeding fines.
  • You can get a 'SmartBox' on your car with Co-operative Insurance that measures how you are driving according to speed, g-forces in corners etc and adjusts the premium at the end of the month accordingly. Someone I know with a 17 year old son had a quote with that which was half what other insurers wanted and cos the boy drove sensibly, they also got a refund at the end of the year. Was still bloody expensive mind.

Also depends what car you have/are getting him insured on. Insurers really racket up the premiums for 17-20 year olds on anything more than a 1 litre engine, so might be worth remembering that. Also, depending on the value of the car, it might be better to only get 'Third Party', not even 'Third Party, Fire and Theft' cover, which can be stubstanially cheaper.

But saying that, generally from the experience of people I know, for a 17 year old boy who has passed their test and has a 1 litre, the best price will be around £1300 a year. You'll be lucky to get anything less but use gocompare, comparethemarket etc. to see if you can.

I'm 21 and did Pass-Plus 3 years ago when I started driving, but after the cost of the lessons, I'm not sure if it saves you money on the insurance. However I certainly found it useful experience, and it made motorway driving after my test far easier/safer having done it for the 1st time with my instructor as part of Pass-Plus.

Hope that helps.....
  • I make you right Ormy - especially when you consider that he will spend the next five years ferrying his mates around for free, being unable to drink when he goes out and eventually ending up with the inevitable six points on his license from speeding fines.

By way of comparison, here in Oz, you pay around A$1000 per year (UK630) for insurance for an 18 year-old kid driving a regular car, that's for fully comprehensive insurance.

As an aside, some 18 year-old dickhead smashed into the back of my brand new Honda Odyssey a couple of months back, he caused $7,500 worth of damage and was on his parents insurance. I bet they loved him when he went home and told them.

• Sorry, but just spent weeks trying to get car insurance for my 17 yr old son - cheapest quote was £4k for a basic car at a London postcode address. Gave up in the end! My broker told me that insurers do not want the 17/18 yr old driver market. Can't even go down the named driver route as insurance companies are on to that and increase the premium enormously as soon as a young driver appears on any policy.
  • I wrote a post on this a while back, i was getting 5k qoutes all the time then a woman at AA told me to "tweak" job titles, went from 5k to 2600, not to bad but still far to much but give it ago on your 2k qoutes and it may go down alot!
  • Sponsored links:

• The simple fact is that motor insurance in general is running at a loss and has been for several years. This is largely due to personal injury claims that are spiralling out of control and where a large part of the claims payments represent legal fees. So if you want to blame anyone for the cost of your insurance, try the solicitors who are coining it in at your expense!

• Are these the solicitors who have been sold our details by the same insurance companies?
  • Im 18 and passed my driving test in January and struggle to get a quote under 3k, which is why I still dont have a car
  • Well, granted that doesn't help the insurers cause although it's fair to say that it was not as widespread as has been made out in the media.

As for young male drivers, sadly the statistics don't lie and they are the highest risk of a claim and the highest average claim cost. Insurers can either charge everyone more to cover these costs (which they do to a certain extent as that's the whole theory behind insurance) or they can load the premiums of highest risk drivers, which is why we are seeing such huge premiums. I seem to recall that my first years premium on a battered old Fiesta was in the region of £800, and that was close on 20 years ago. So this is not a new thing but the premiums do seem to be going even higher than they have before so it's attracting more attention.
  • Quinns usually do the best qoute for young drivers.
  • When i first passed my test i used a company called Young Marmalade. They are a leasing company strictly for 17-25 year olds. I leased a 1 litre Renault Clio from them (which i still drive) and my finance deal was to pay £150 per month for the payment of a brand new car for 4 years. The first years insurance was in with the deal.
    Was a brilliant way to get me a brand new, safe car for fairly cheap. There wasnt much of a catch either. My sister did it too and im sure my little brother (16 today will do the same).

What didnt help, was that during my first year driving i had what i would call a bump. I was driving along Hawley road in Dartford / Wilmington and it was raining and wet. The car 2 cars ahead of me suddenly braked sharply and turned right, causing the car behind it and in front of me to slam on the brakes, as a result of this i had to also brake sharply but skidded and bumped into the back of her. This is the interesting part. My car didnt have a scratch. Not a crack in the bumper, not even a smidge of paint chipped on the paintwork. The bird i bumped in to, a dippy bird who had passed her test a few weeks prior to this incident was sat in her car hysterically crying. She had a beaten up old Corsa. When i went to see if she was ok, inside the car there were all wires hanging out, it was a real state, paint all patchy all over, dents all over. Her father arrived on the scene within minutes and we exchanged details.

A month or so later and the insurance letters come through and her car was a write off that my insurance had to pay for, even though my car didnt have a single thing wrong with it. I must have bumped her at like 5 mph max. The following year when i had to find my own insurance after the first years insurance expired with the finance deal the premiums were through the roof. I managed to scrape one at nearly 2 grand for the year. Absolutely killed me that did. I am now 24 and as insurance companies hold them accidents on file for 5 years and it was 5 years since that this year my premium was still close to 1k.

I cant help but I feel I was done over by that bird and her father and the insurance companies. I struggle to believe how a car can be a write off from an accident without a single thing wrong with the other car involved. Really frustrates me to this day!
  • im 19 mate,20 in november passed last march at 18 .have a 51 plate fiesta which got insured only third party fire n theft with quinn for €1650.second year has gone down to 1390 with same company.hope that helps put into perspective depending on what car youll be getting
  • Good luck.

Was quoted £850  for my BMW by Direct Line------------went to Churchill £600.  When i told Direct LIne they came back with another "quote" of £720 !!!!!!!!!!! so was the first one wrong then ?   as Leroy says ----muggers of the first order.
  • She had a beaten up old Corsa. When i went to see if she was ok, inside the car there were all wires hanging out, it was a real state, paint all patchy all over, dents all over...

...I struggle to believe how a car can be a write off from an accident without a single thing wrong with the other car involved. Really frustrates me to this day!
    Unfortunately, because her car was old and knackered, virtually any damage to it will not be economical to repair and an insurance company will simply write it off. In some ways you may have been better off hitting something worth a bit more!
  • When i first passed my test i used a company called Young Marmalade. They are a leasing company strictly for 17-25 year olds. I leased a 1 litre Renault Clio from them (which i still drive) and my finance deal was to pay £150 per month for the payment of a brand new car for 4 years. The first years insurance was in with the deal. Was a brilliant way to get me a brand new, safe car for fairly cheap. There wasnt much of a catch either. My sister did it too and im sure my little brother (16 today will do the same). What didnt help, was that during my first year driving i had what i would call a bump. I was driving along Hawley road in Dartford / Wilmington and it was raining and wet. The car 2 cars ahead of me suddenly braked sharply and turned right, causing the car behind it and in front of me to slam on the brakes, as a result of this i had to also brake sharply but skidded and bumped into the back of her. This is the interesting part. My car didnt have a scratch. Not a crack in the bumper, not even a smidge of paint chipped on the paintwork. The bird i bumped in to, a dippy bird who had passed her test a few weeks prior to this incident was sat in her car hysterically crying. She had a beaten up old Corsa. When i went to see if she was ok, inside the car there were all wires hanging out, it was a real state, paint all patchy all over, dents all over. Her father arrived on the scene within minutes and we exchanged details. A month or so later and the insurance letters come through and her car was a write off that my insurance had to pay for, even though my car didnt have a single thing wrong with it. I must have bumped her at like 5 mph max. The following year when i had to find my own insurance after the first years insurance expired with the finance deal the premiums were through the roof. I managed to scrape one at nearly 2 grand for the year. Absolutely killed me that did. I am now 24 and as insurance companies hold them accidents on file for 5 years and it was 5 years since that this year my premium was still close to 1k. I cant help but I feel I was done over by that bird and her father and the insurance companies. I struggle to believe how a car can be a write off from an accident without a single thing wrong with the other car involved. Really frustrates me to this day!

Hi same experience. Apparently when it goes to the garage that is contracted to fix the damage, they assess whether or not it is worth repairing the vehicle to bring it up to MOT standard, therefore if the car is likely to fail on  problems other than that caused by the accident, and it is consequently more expensive to repair those problems than the cost of selling the car, they will write it off as uneconomical repair.

Fortunately for me I was in the car that was bumped, so received a small payout for a car that would most likely have failed its next MOT.

• Sponsored links:

• Ignoring the spurious claims from the insurance industry that they are the victims of the piece and the real villains are the "No Win No Claim" solicitors and those minorities making falsified claims, I really don’t get why so many parents are prepared to play along with what appears to be legalised extortion? My own parents never at any stage contributed towards my first or any car, yet these days it seems that every teenager (or even older) is propped up by the bank of mum & dad.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I’m sure I’m being naive but I can’t help but think that if the majority of parents stopped doing this the industry would eventually have to drop it’s prices and become much more competitive. Yeah, it’s not going to make you very popular at home but ultimately it’ll teach the kids to stand on their own two feet and maybe help redress the market.

And yes, I am aware it’ll lead to a likely increase in uninsured drivers but this is something that’s already a big problem anyway which would go away if the prices were lower.

• You can get a 'SmartBox' on your car with Co-operative Insurance that measures how you are driving according to speed, g-forces in corners etc and adjusts the premium at the end of the month accordingly. Someone I know with a 17 year old son had a quote with that which was half what other insurers wanted and cos the boy drove sensibly, they also got a refund at the end of the year. Was still bloody expensive mind.

Also depends what car you have/are getting him insured on. Insurers really racket up the premiums for 17-20 year olds on anything more than a 1 litre engine, so might be worth remembering that. Also, depending on the value of the car, it might be better to only get 'Third Party', not even 'Third Party, Fire and Theft' cover, which can be stubstanially cheaper.

But saying that, generally from the experience of people I know, for a 17 year old boy who has passed their test and has a 1 litre, the best price will be around £1300 a year. You'll be lucky to get anything less but use gocompare, comparethemarket etc. to see if you can.

I'm 21 and did Pass-Plus 3 years ago when I started driving, but after the cost of the lessons, I'm not sure if it saves you money on the insurance. However I certainly found it useful experience, and it made motorway driving after my test far easier/safer having done it for the 1st time with my instructor as part of Pass-Plus.

Hope that helps.....
    The smart/black box is such a good idea from the co-op. Save money and potentially save crashes and lives
  • Ignoring the spurious claims from the insurance industry that they are the victims of the piece and the real villains are the "No Win No Claim" solicitors and those minorities making falsified claims, I really don’t get why so many parents are prepared to play along with what appears to be legalised extortion? My own parents never at any stage contributed towards my first or any car, yet these days it seems that every teenager (or even older) is propped up by the bank of mum & dad.

I’m sure I’m being naive but I can’t help but think that if the majority of parents stopped doing this the industry would eventually have to drop it’s prices and become much more competitive. Yeah, it’s not going to make you very popular at home but ultimately it’ll teach the kids to stand on their own two feet and maybe help redress the market.

And yes, I am aware it’ll lead to a likely increase in uninsured drivers but this is something that’s already a big problem anyway which would go away if the prices were lower.

Just how are the claims from the insurance industry spurious? Their motor book is running at a loss and has been for many years. If you want to go look into the company accounts you're welcome but you can take my word for it if you prefer.

Now, when you are running at a loss and that loss is caused by spiralling personal injury claim costs and those claims are primarily caused by young drivers, why exactly would any sane company lower the premium for those young drivers?

You also cannot really argue that the problem would completely go away if parents stopped subsidising their kids. That would lead to an increase in uninsured drivers, which costs the rest of us more money as someone still has to pay for their accidents even if they can't be arsed to pay for their premiums. Alternatively it might simply delay the problem. If a 17 year old can't afford the premium and doesn't drive until he's got enough money to pay for himself then all that happens is that he's still an inexperienced driver but just a bit older. This would possibly reduce accidents by a small amount as the tendency to show off, drive all your mates around etc reduces as you get older but you'd still not have the experience, you'd still crash and you'd still cost insurers more money.
  • As the father of twin sons,  this has cost us a lot of money.
    One of my sons bit the bullet and has built up his no claims discount, although he thought after the first year there would be a reduction from the £900, it went up ?
    Now with 5 years he  still pays £ 580 for a corsa, but has no points, and a clean licence. My other son who drives  our second car as a named driver as he drives a van for  his company  has a massive loading excess which means in an accident we would probably get the road licence and the mats back?. Frankly he only drives the thing the occassional day here and there, but as he pays the premium, minus our contribution that is his perogative.
    As I have a protected no claims on  two policies, which I built up over 20 years I guess I reap the benefits of cheaper insurance.
    My poor daughter has had to cope for herself, but she is a bit older. 
    I  do feel that the young drivers do get a raw deal, and as usual the few spoil it for the majority.
    Perhaps they should scrap the car if you do not have insurance? Not sure what the answer is, but there seems to be a whole industry out there making big money in referral fees to and from insurance companies, the recent Panorama episode on this showed a 'multi fee kick back' and a solicitor getting a double fee because the other side did not turn up for a hearing, and in 20 minutes pocketed £12,000 in fees...... This might go some way in explaning  why insurance companies do not make any money, and of course advertising every break on tv?.

• Beginning to wonder whether it would be best to buy an older banger and then my son insured for only TPFT. Thats the way we did it when I started to drive. There seems to be an expectancy these days that kids go on parents cars fully comp and expect parents to pay the insurance!....

• Beginning to wonder whether it would be best to buy an older banger and then my son insured for only TPFT. Thats the way we did it when I started to drive. There seems to be an expectancy these days that kids go on parents cars fully comp and expect parents to pay the insurance!....

Exactly! My first car was a battered old S reg Fiesta (by which I mean the S was at the end of the registration number) and it was insured TP only at a cost of roughly £800. Even if I could have afforded fully comp, what was the point? I'm bound to have a crash at some point in those first few years (and I did) but any damage to the car is a write off and I get market value, which was maybe £200 if I'm lucky. As long as the third party is covered for their costs (if it's my fault) then they don't give a toss so why pay more?

The flipside to that of course is that older cars are often more dangerous due to worse brakes, no airbags etc. On the other hand, they're not as fast and are often built more solidly than newer cars so that's probably a 50/50 thing.
  • I am 17 and I passed my test a few months back. Now have a car. Insurance hunting was a nightmare!! Cheapest I got was £6k (I live on a busy main road in SE London where vehicle crime rate is high). I am insured but on my dads insurance and it is £2.5k for the first year. The car is in dads name. Dad has hardly driven it but if I was to get stopped by the police for whatever reason, I would say that it is my dads car and I have his permission to use it.

I know what you're going through though... pure stress!
  • My dad spent ages trying to get decent hours for my car when I passed, we were getting some crazy quotes but anything between 1500 and 1000 or cheaper obviously, you probably shouldnt turn your nose up at. Obviously you can use comparethemarket and such but Aviva (Quote me happy people) did me a good deal unforunately though they may ask how often you drive the car which can drastically change the price, at first it was 3 times a week and then i got a job so we moved it to 5. It moved from 1200 ish to 6000 just because of that! Was super crazy! I think now we're using Admiral. (I may have got it the other way round and Aviva im now Admiral I started on, but i'd try Aviva first coz i suggested it to my friend and he got a really good deal too!)