Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The name Yann Kermorgant

edited September 2011 in General Charlton

I'm somewhat puzzled by this most unusual name.

We know that he's French but I'm pretty sure that it isn't a French name.

Does anyone have any idea about his ethnic roots?

I've also seen it spelt several different ways on various sites and forums but I'm now certain that the spelling I've used above is correct, as it's taken from the OS.

Comments

• Options
    Breton, perhaps?
  • Options
    What I was going to say. Town in Brittany called Kermorgant
  • Options
    Yann is John in Hebrew
  • Options
    Kermorgant means "giant of the field" in Hungarian.
  • Options
    What I was going to say. Town in Brittany called Kermorgant
    and Yannik is a Breton Christian Name
  • Options

I'm somewhat puzzled by this most unusual name.

We know that he's French but I'm pretty sure that it isn't a French name.

Does anyone have any idea about his ethnic roots?

I've also seen it spelt several different ways on various sites and forums but I'm now certain that the spelling I've used above is correct, as it's taken from the OS.

He might sound as though he is a Balkan/Hungarian/Jewish Gypsy but the odds are that he's a nice French boy from Brittany
  • Options

I am pretty sure it is Breton.  "Ker" is a common "prefix" in Brittany coming from ancient Breton meaning "fortified place" or castle.  It is comparable to Welsh in say "Caer"navon.

Morgant I believe has again a link to the Welsh with "morgan" I believe meaning "born of the sea".

Vannes (from where the guy hails) is a very pleasant town on the Brittany coast.

• Options
    I read it as Yannker Morgan T
  • Options

So it probably is a genuine French name then.......you have to admit it doesn't look French and I wouldn't mind betting it's a fairly unusual name even in France itself.

As written it looks more Dutch/Flemish (or even Scandinavian) than anything.

• Options
    CL should enter a team for Eggheads  :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm up for it - I'm going bald!
  • Options

I am pretty sure it is Breton.  "Ker" is a common "prefix" in Brittany coming from ancient Breton meaning "fortified place" or castle.  It is comparable to Welsh in say "Caer"navon.

Morgant I believe has again a link to the Welsh with "morgan" I believe meaning "born of the sea".

Vannes (from where the guy hails) is a very pleasant town on the Brittany coast.

VERY interesting. I was in Bangor (Welsh version) a few  years ago during a Druid/Celtic clan gathering. The Bretons were there along with the Welsh, Irish and Scots and the English were not at all welcome. They still accepted my cash in the shops, bars and hotels though
  • Options
    So if he was English his name would be something like stuart Morgan.

Sounds well dodgy to me.
  • Options
    Har Har de Har Ha!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    He doesn't look french - no bicycle, stripey shirt, beret and onions round his neck!