Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Successive Away Wins

edited September 2011 in General Charlton
How good it is to have an away winning streak; it's not something that I normally associate with Charlton.  As far as I can see, the last time we won four successive aways was in November/December 2007:  Southampton 0-1, Bristol City 0-1, Preston 0-2 and Cardiff 0-2.  Chris Powell played in the Cardiff match.
The last (and so far only) time we got five in a row was August-October 2005:  Sunderland 1-3, Middlesbrough 0-3, Birmingham 0-1, West Brom 1-2 and Portsmouth 1-2.  Chris Powell played in the first four of these matches.  Wouldn't it be great to equal that record by beating Sheffield Utd.

Comments

• Options
    I was wondering what's the most away wins we have ever managed in a season. Think we might have. Chance of running that total close this season. I have a feeling we will pick up more on the road than at The Valley.
  • Options
    And hear is now are down fall Jinx.
  • Options
    Remember the 1980-81 3rd Division season and am sure we finished with 11 away wins in the league. Also won about another 5 or 6 away in the cups that year.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    We won 6 away league games on the bounce in 1999/2000 (during the 12 league wins in a row we had post Christmas). We did lose at Bolton in the FA Cup during that spell, though.
  • Options
    Nice factoid Stig. Thanks

PS is there a rogue 'n' missing from your log-in name - only I'm judging by your photo!
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    The FA Cup game doesn't count, Paddy - as it should have been a draw, if Robbo hadn't missed a sitter for the equaliser in the last few minutes.

Anyway, we won at Bolton in the League during that run.

;o)
  • Options
    You are quite right Paddy:  Huddersfield 1-2, Wolves 2-3, Norwich 0-3, Stockport 1-3, Bolton 0-2, Walsall 2-4.  Mr Powell also played in all six of these!  My erroneous "fact" about the only time we'd won five in a row, was for top flight football (I should have read that a little more carefully).

Nice one Floyd ;-)
  • Options
    Sorry?
  • Options
    Sorry?
    Say it fast - it almost seems to make sense!
  • Options
    Sorry?
    Say it fast - it almost seems to make sense!

Blaaa gaaa gaa a doo....?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't say it in a Dale Farm accent or we'll be doomed...doomed ar tell ye
  • Options
    Congratulations to Tony Mowbray's Boro side who today racked up their sixth consecutive away win.  It was against Palace :-)
  • Options
    um, i don't like to be pedantic but wouldnt it be us equalling the record of five against MkDons rather than Sheff Utd?

If i have got this wrong, I would be grateful if we ignored my comment and moved on (see Being Drunk thread).

COYR!!
  • Options
    Yep, you are right Tricky.  Perhaps I'm the one that was drunk yesterday - I can't really remember ;-)
  • Options
    but the record is 6 (see post above) - so it will be at Sheff U.
  • Options
    Remember the 1980-81 3rd Division season and am sure we finished with 11 away wins in the league. Also won about another 5 or 6 away in the cups that year.
    We came third in the league (grabbing the last automatic spot ahead of Huddersfield!) but were top of the league based on away games only: http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/division-three-old/1980-1981/true-table/away. With only home games taken into account we were fifth.
  • Options

Following those 5 top flight away victories, didnt we go a year without winning another one, and that was at Portsmouth again.

• Options
    Think you're right. 5 consecutive aways was at the start of Curbs last season, apart from Chesterfield on pens in the League Cup, we didn't win another one until Amdy Faye scored in a 1 nil win at Pompey. That was in January of the following season, so just over a year.
  • Options
    And the other list included successive away hat tricks for Andy Hunt at Norwich and Stockport I think.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I think the cardiff 2 nil you list was a home match stig, just checked your right stig