Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Fernandes in the Standard tonight

edited September 2011 in General Charlton
Interesting line in it about him nearly buying Charlton

"It was very cheap, a great business deal but I didn't have any heart for it. It was too close to West Ham."

Comments

• Options
    Yes, saw that. Came across as a genuinely nice bloke, a football fan, with a bit of money behind him. Running it like a business - as it should be!
  • Options
    Glad he did not buy us then
  • Options

If he thinks Charlton is "too close" to West Ham then what the hell are Chelsea and Fulham to QPR?

Charlton is much further away from West Ham than QPR are to their major rivals.

• Options

If he thinks Charlton is "too close" to West Ham then what the hell are Chelsea and Fulham to QPR?

Charlton is much further away from West Ham than QPR are to their major rivals.

He is a West Ham supporter.  We are too close to West Ham for his liking as he is such a hammers fan.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I did report him as the buyer if some can remember some time back but my source knew he was very interested, put 2 and 2 together and made 6. Sorry about that! To be fair- we would probablly have been a bigger player if he had but I prefer (seriously) doing it the right way. We know if Roman Abramovic part 2 buys us we could be a champions league side in short time but a club shouldn't be about how rich the owner is but a unity from good sensible owners and passioante fans.
  • Options
    Muttley in some ways you were right ,Fernandes was interested but we don't know how that ended.As the new owner of QPR he could hardly admit that Charlton featured above them on his wish list.
  • Options
    And who's to say he would have appointed the messiah as manager. Happy with what we've got.
  • Options
    Muttley in some ways you were right ,Fernandes was interested but we don't know how that ended.As the new owner of QPR he could hardly admit that Charlton featured above them on his wish list.
    Why not? He openly admitted in his first interview as QPR owner that he would have preferred to buy West Ham.

It was something along the lines of "I'm delighted to be here at Upt...Loftus Road as...what's this team called?... Queens Park Rovers have always been very nearly in the Top 5 of my favourite London teams"
  • Options
    If the Arabs or this guy had bought us.............

Doesn't matter now we have other owners neither of whom are Charlton fans (although to be fair neither Slater or Jiminez have pretended to be) plus some mysterons we don't know about.

The Club's moving in the right direction.  Long, slow road to navigate yet but so far so good.
  • Options
    It ended after he went to see the team play at Brentford last season. He left at half time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It ended after he went to see the team play at Brentford last season. He left at half time.
    I think that may have been the worst half of football I have ever seen Charlton play (and there's been some pretty stiff competitio). My son wanted to go home at half time and I was pretty close to agreeing. Second half was quite a lot better though.
  • Options
    In that interview Fernandes also talked about how willing he would be for QPR to ground-share - and cited Charlton and Crystal Palace as a good example of how well it could work.  So expect to see QPR moving in with Chelsea any time now.

Glad he is nowhere near the club.
  • Options
    In that interview Fernandes also talked about how willing he would be for QPR to ground-share - and cited Charlton and Crystal Palace as a good example of how well it could work.  So expect to see QPR moving in with Chelsea any time now.

Glad he is nowhere near
    the club.
    Bizarre - considering his own club shared with Fulham only a few years back - not sure on his due-dilligence - happy with what we've got

• Options
    He seems a decent bloke, just from watching how he runs his Lotus F1 team. Was hoping he'd invest in us about this time last year when there were rumours about him. Has his head screwed on and isn't that delusional unlike some owners (Blackburn)
  • Options

Glad he is nowhere near the club.
    To be fair to him he doesnt go so far as to call it a good example, he just uses the word 'precedent" Bu otherwise I agree with you. Another bloke who because he's made some money, thinks he instantly understands everything there is to know about football and its customers. Much rather have our guys, thank you very much.
  • Options
    it probably is a good example......... of how not to do it.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    @PragueAddick

You are reassured then, Prague?  I may be mistaken but I think you had serious doubts about them?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    He seems a decent bloke, just from watching how he runs his Lotus F1 team. Was hoping he'd invest in us about this time last year when there were rumours about him. Has his head screwed on and isn't that delusional unlike some owners (Blackburn)
    He is a decent bloke. I have met him twice, albeit briefly once. His philosophy is to know what he wants from a business and then to persuade people to work his way unless he can be persuaded that there is a better way. And, he fully accepts he is wrong sometimes - something that most of these people don't do. I don't know if he still does, but he used to do one shift per month at the check-in desk of Air Asia just to see what happened and to talk to customers.
  • Options
    @PragueAddick

You are reassured then, Prague?  I may be mistaken but I think you had serious doubts about them?
    No, I had serious doubts about Sebastian Sainsbury and his motley crew. As son as I heard Peter Varney was in with these guys, I was quite relaxed. Even more so when i was able to speak to Richard Murray after Christmas. They may still have a plan to sell at a profit one day, but I believe they agree with us about what a healthy successful Charlton looks like, and how to get to that position.
    He is a decent bloke. I have met him twice, albeit briefly once. His philosophy is to know what he wants from a business and then to persuade people to work his way unless he can be persuaded that there is a better way. And, he fully accepts he is wrong sometimes - something that most of these people don't do. I don't know if he still does, but he used to do one shift per month at the check-in desk of Air Asia just to see what happened and to talk to customers.
    I like the sound of that. Maybe he'll be a quick learner about football in that case.