Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fenerbahce only allowed to admit women & children

The Turkish football association has come up with a
radical solution for tackling hooliganism - by banning men from stadiums.

Teams sanctioned for unruly behaviour by fans are instead only allowed to
admit women and children aged under 12 to watch games.

On Tuesday, more than 41,000 women and children attended Fenerbahce's match
against Manisaspor in Istanbul.

The move followed violence during a Fenerbahce "friendly" in July.

The Istanbul side was initially told to play two home matches behind closed
doors after fans invaded the pitch during a game with the Ukrainian champions
Shakhtar Donetsk.

Continue reading the main story

We have to thank the ladies for coming to support us. It is
difficult playing without fans

Joseph
Yobo
Fenerbahce

But the Turkish authorities later softened their stance and decided to let
women and children attend.

Fenerbahce's 1-1 draw with Manisapor kicked off after players from both teams
hurled flowers at the fans, while the visitors were greeted with applause
instead of the more customary loud jeers.

The home side's captain, Alex de Sousa, said: "This memory will stay with me
forever. It's not always that you see so many women and children in one
game."

"We have to thank the ladies for coming to support us," his team-mate Joseph
Yobo - on loan from Everton - told Lig TV. "It's difficult playing without the
fans."

Manisaspor midfielder Omer Aysan agreed: "It was such a fun and pleasant
atmosphere."

Before the game, fans were searched by all-women police officers.

Speaking before the match, Yasemin Mercil, a female member of Fenerbahce's
executive board, said: "This really is a historic day.

"For the first time in the world, only women and children will watch a game.
The women know all the chants. The same anthems, the same chants will be
sung."

Comments

• blimey 41,000 is an impressive attendance with no blokes!
  • I wonder if there was a reverse of the Life of Brian thing with men trying to sneak in dressed as women?

Are there any men here?
  • I wonder if there was a reverse of the Life of Brian thing with men trying to sneak in dressed as women?

Are there any men here?
    in those burkahs, who can tell ?
  • Bet there was some hairy ugly women there!

• They were let in for free. Journo said that the Fernerbahce goal was greeted, like the lights going down at a Justin Bieber
    concert !

Are there any men here?
    Been to Turkey recently?
  • Imagine trying to explain the offside rule 41000 times. :-/
  • 'the visitors were greeted with applause instead of the more customary loud jeers.'

This is something which is sadly disappearing from the English game. I hate to hear that some home fans in The Premiership are beginning to whistle opposition possession. Respect for the opposition is (or was) something that sets the English league apart from some of the other European leagues.

This initiative is what UEFA could have done after Heysel rather than ban the clubs.

Is it not in contradiction to EU law however?
  • 'the visitors were greeted with applause instead of the more customary loud jeers.'

This is something which is sadly disappearing from the English game. I hate to hear that some home fans in The Premiership are beginning to whistle opposition possession. Respect for the opposition is (or was) something that sets the English league apart from some of the other European leagues.

This initiative is what UEFA could have done after Heysel rather than ban the clubs.

• Sponsored links:

Turkey's not in the EU
  • edited September 2011
    imageimage
  • Blimey, the 'oh Istanbul is wonderful' chant suddenly gets a big dollop of accuracy to it !
  • edited September 2011
    imageimage
    Don't fancy the one on the far right much. Looks a bit manly.
  • Booooooooooooooo.......B's

Are there any men here?
    Been to Turkey recently?
    cheer up FM is was a JOKE (if you understand the term unless it's you who is telling same), and NO, never been to Turkey and I don't fancy going
  • imagine that happening at millwall... defo no would ya's there? thinking about it they'd play up more than the blokes and the illegitimate song would go down a treat too!

• Working on the basis that 30,000 of the crowd were women & assuming they had a few jars in the pub beforehand, I have calculated that in the five hours lost, this would equate to about 90,000 pairs of unironed trousers, 120,000 unhoovered rooms & 727,000 items of unwashed cutlery/crockery.

If ths carries on, Turkey will be on it's knees in no time. 

• good job they didnt work on the basis 'if you have facial hair you cant come in'....gaff would be empty.
  • Are Turkish women hairy?

Can't be dealing with that..
  • Sponsored links:

• They showed a video from the match on SSN, and there was a bloke in the crowd!
  • What I want to know is who was there to explain the offside rule to them all?
  • They made that joke on channel 4 news, except the women in the stadium got the offside decision right and the lino got it wrong.