Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club Foundation

edited September 2011 in General Charlton
The following article is from the club's 1955 handbook.  I thought it might be of interest to any other saddos our there ;-)

Comments

• Options
    Fascinating article, cheers mate
  • Options

Thanks Stig.

Harold Deacon used to write a column in the Kentish Independent and I believe that it is his mugshot that accompanied Airman Brown's column in Voice of the Valley.

• Options
    Even then they used to take two coach loads to away games.

Where's Ooh Aah when you need him?

Keep 'em coming Stig,  must be some more stuff in those handbooks and VOTVs of interest.
  • Options
    Cheers Stig, that was excellent
  • Options
    Great - cheers Stig!
  • Options

so the reason for our limited away support was cast in stone at the beginning .... every away game 'two brake-loads of supporters' would go

well done to everyone for keeping to this tradition

• Options
    Never disappoints : - )

But what was two brakes worth as a percentage of the home gate and did long away trips to Erith or Silvertown still get the same numbers?
  • Options
    Very interesting and a really good find. Cheers Stig.

Strange to think some of the guys interviewed had seen the club grow from its beginnings to the size and status it had in 1955. That's got to be a very rare historical experience. Only two to four (?) generations back too.  I can only think of Wimbledon as a comparative example in modern times in that some AFC Wimbledon fans would be able to claim to have witnessed the
    re-birth of their club. In fact possibly only Wimbledon have risen as
    fast from such humble beginnings in modern times. MK Dons fans on the other hand would have to admit their club just landed on their dooorstep thanks to the entrepreneurship of capitalists!
  • Options
    i can't see a link
  • Options
    Great read, thank you Stig. Please excuse my ignorance, but what do they mean by a brake-load? A horse and cart?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cracking stuff, really enjoyed that @Stig
  • Options
    er... is it only me that sees a picture of a frog with a 'domain unregistered' message?

really wanna read it!  :)
  • Options
    Looks like it's just you.

Inbox Stig and ask him to email the pic to you.
  • Options
    eh? I thought it was an article....

I guess it is a photo and an article... either way, am not seeing either

if there is a link to follow, could somebody please just re-post..... fanx....
  • Options
    The photo IS of an article.
  • Options
    hahahahahaha.... I get it now.....
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    What a great find, Stig.

Proud to be a Saddo. Found it all fascinating ........ so many 'missing' snippets of our history revealed - all because a journalist (albeit one always associated with the club) wanted to write an article to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the club; and who took the trouble to seek out one of the surviving original players and interview him personally.

Recently, ChoiceTV has been doing something similar with Charlton legends from Les Fell to Steve Brown.
    Generations to come will value these personalised recollections.

PS: Oi, Choicey......... when are you going to 'do' Eddie Firmani ?

;o)

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Sorry to hear that some of you can't see it.   Please try these links.

When you get into image shack, you can click on the image to enlarge.
  • Options

It's the history of our fine club that makes me proud to be Charlton. Others can count their trophies as a sign of history but they don't have the Valley Party, the first anti-racism club or a club that helps its community rather than rinses it of money.

I wouldn't swap any of that. We'd never give away our soul.

Great read Stig I feel all warm inside haha

COYR

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keep 'em coming stig! cheers