Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carlos Tevez's lack of English gets him off.

Tevez was accused of failing to disclose the identity of the speeding driver at the wheel of his Bentley. But magistrates in Oldham accepted his lawyer's argument that his English is so poor that he could not read the penalty notice sent to him. It seems his post, which he cannot read, is dealt with by his admin. staff. He did however get done £75 (+3 points) for speeding but does not have to go on a speed awareness course.

Bet he can read the wording on his contract though.

Comments

• Poor excuse - he's been living in England for well over half a decade now.

• think he only reads numbers...to be fair he does look a bit on the thick side
    That's fair, lol.

Seriously though, I always thought that ignorance is no excuse when it comes to the law. Not only that but he's got the means to take English lessons every day. There's no reason why he doesn't have a better command of English other that laziness and apathy.
  • Outrageous, does not matter if he is unable to speak the language properly he has the means to do so either through himself or pay someone to, no wonder footballers think they can get away with anything .... they can.
  • I'm surprised he could reach the peddles.
  • edited September 2011

What amazes me is that he was club Captain at Ciy despite not being able to speak the same language as the Referees.

That's fair, lol.

Seriously though, I always thought that ignorance is no excuse when it comes to the law. Not only that but he's got the means to take English lessons every day. There's no reason why he doesn't have a better command of English other that laziness and apathy.

Agree 100%, its outrageous that a bloke who has now been in the UK permanently since 2006 - more than five years - has not been arsed to learn the language, even rudimentarily, despite having bundles of spare time and a mountain of cash for lessons.

Look at how the Asian players (Koreans, Japanese, Chinese) all have a crack at speaking English, even though its much harder for them than it would be for Tevez given that Spanish-English is reasonably similar.

• I read that it will take Tevez 281 seconds to work off his speeding fine. Sort of takes the fun out of the fine really
  • Tevez doesn't like England or the English, so why would he bother learning the language?
  • Sponsored links:

• It's a common problem here in California. South Americans (mexicans mainly) who have lived here for years and still can't speak or understand any of the lingo. Personally I think they're a bit thick.
  • I read that it will take Tevez 281 seconds to work off his speeding fine. Sort of takes the fun out of the fine really
    Is it pre or post tax?

It's a common problem here in California. South Americans (mexicans mainly) who have lived here for years and still can't speak or understand any of the lingo. Personally I think they're a bit thick.
    I would have thought that the difference between the californians and tevez is that the californians are part of a community where spanish is all the majority really need.  Isn't there a prediction that spanish will overtake english as majority language in the next 50 years or so?
  • how many of our brits abroad, in non speaking english countries, have learnt the native lingo

or cos they're lucky enough to speak english can they all get by with that and a bit of local pigeon stuff

• how many of our brits abroad, in non speaking english countries, have learnt the native lingo

or cos they're lucky enough to speak english can they all get by with that and a bit of local pigeon stuff

A friend of mine proves your point. He's been running his bar in spain for about 18 years yet hardly speaks a word of spanish. His kids are very fluent though (one born there).
  • Not sure how "he got off".  He got a fine and points.

As for English people moaning about others not learning another language.  Sacre bleu!
  • edited September 2011
    Where a we going to send all the footballers that can hardly speak English?  Most of them were born here.
  • Not sure how "he got off".  He got a fine and points.

As for English people moaning about others not learning another language.  Sacre bleu!
    Plus ca change
  • Donde este los servicios?

Voy a buscare el abrigo.
  • He should be banged up for six months and then deported
  • It's a common problem here in California. South Americans (mexicans mainly) who have lived here for years and still can't speak or understand any of the lingo. Personally I think they're a bit thick.
    Do we really want comments like this on Charlton Life
  • Sponsored links:

• not read the whole post but basiically the fact he claimed he cant read english means that HE has had to take the speeding fine and penalty even though he stated it was someone else driving.

Is there a bigger none story, or is it the fact he tried to argue because he couldnt read english he should get away with it?? But luckily he DIDNT GET AWAY WITH IT

No but I'm trying to ignore them.  The people making the comments won't understand anyway.  Personally I think they're a bit thick : - )
  • मैं चाहते हैं कि किसी हिंदी में पोस्ट होगा तो मैं यह पढ़ सकता है.
    Garden gnomes these days are so multilingual 
    You would say that, wouldn't you.
    Kap
    Used to read sanskrit/nepalese many years ago - would love to pick it up again - how do you get to type the script?
  • the truth is I can't speak or write  hindi, this is using google translator and says "I wish someone would post in Hindi, so I can read it."

I am sure you could down load the appropriate fonts some where.

I was going to see if it would translate our more banned swear words and post them, but then thought AFKA may have a filter for it.
    I don't think that was an unreasonable comment. Personal observation from living here. Either that or they just can't be bothered which I think amounts to the same thing.
  • I worked in the Netherlands for about 5 years but probably am not at primary school Dutch level.  Piss poor in my opinion.  Everybody should be able to speak the language of the country that they choose to inhabit.  So Rob, you're right, but then again the fact that you think Mexicans are "South American" is more than a little thick, given that you're apparently living in a part of the world that was actually in Mexico until relatively recently.  Right?
  •  

I worked in the Netherlands for about 5 years but probably am not at primary school Dutch level.  Piss poor in my opinion.  Everybody should be able to speak the language of the country that they choose to inhabit.  So Rob, you're right, but then again the fact that you think Mexicans are "South American" is more than a little thick, given that you're apparently living in a part of the world that was actually in Mexico until relatively recently.  Right?
    I lived and worked in Italy for 10 months and I'd picked up quite a bit of Italian by the time I left. And, picky picky about the Mexican/South American comment. The point I was trying to make was that in California a lot of the Mexicans who live here don't bother to pick up the language even though they've lived here for years and I saw a pattern with Tevez. Granted, most of those are uneducated, many are illegal, and the work they do is undocumented labour (and that's probably the connection). Jeez. I apologize for not being pc enough for some people. :-)