Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Attendance today

Comments

• Options
    I've seen it all now. We get over 22k for a third division game and people are still trying to put a downer on it.

Well done to Airman and his team. Some of us really do appreciate the hard work and effort that went into making yesterday a tremendous success. No ifs, no buts.
    Not trying to put a downer on the club at all.

We are lucky to support a club that knows how to look after its supporters with reduced season ticket prices and excellent offers like football for a fiver. I think Airman and the club have done brilliant to advertise this and tried get as many as we can to yesterday's game. I don't have anything to critisise the club on this.

I was putting a downer on the attendence because of the 4,500 that was missed today. I don't think we can put Chelsea and Arsenal playing at home as an excuse as I believe we have gained a lot of support from our years in the premiership. Plus, the tickets prices for Chelsea and Arsenal are £45 or near enough so for those who can not afford £45 would of gone for the cheaper option. I also thought, considering we had a brilliant start to the season that the fans who refused to watch us in league one would want to see what the fuss was about and how we are top of league one. £5 to watch a football game is practically nothing for a football match so we can not make £5 as expensive.

I get this assumption from the club that we was expecting a bigger attendence than what we got yesterday by the number of stewards and police located at the away end. I think we had more stewards on our side at the away end than the fans who decided to sit at the away end so I think the club would count that part as a failure.
  • Options
    I think Airman knows what he's doing Lincsaddick. Sometimes you just have to say "well done", rather than pick holes or suggest there's a better way of doing things.
    Who's picking holes Mr Gripe for Brains ? .. This is a discussion site, i am not criticising, merely proposing alternative/other options, I didn't know I needed permission from a miserable groaner such as yourself. So 'get right off it' and have a lovely day
  • Options
    We didn't "miss" anyone DiscoCAFC. Those that wanted to come came. Those that didn't didn't. Short of dragging passers-by in off the street I don't see what else anyone could reasonably have done.

I say again, we got 22k for a third division game. Sometimes you just have to say "well done" and not look to pick holes in things.
  • Options
    I think Airman knows what he's doing Lincsaddick. Sometimes you just have to say "well done", rather than pick holes or suggest there's a better way of doing things.
    Who's picking holes Mr Gripe for Brains ? .. This is a discussion site, i am not criticising, merely proposing alternative/other options, I didn't know I needed permission from a miserable groaner such as yourself. So 'get right off it' and have a lovely day
    So now you want to become personal and offensive? Enjoy Grimsby - you deserve each other.
  • Options

The game was v Chesterfield. It would have been s r o had it been against another London side, either of the Sheffields or (say) Preston 

I don't think it was the team we was playing. Was Exeter more inspiring than Chesterfield? I would say they were the same. I think the club could do what they could to get a bigger attendence.

I think its the 4,500 fans that failed to turn up need to be critisised.
  • Options
    Who failed to turn up Disco? Where do they live - shall we go round there and have a word?
  • Options
    Someone said about people going to uni. For alot of my mates this was there first week at uni, so just a week or 2 before could have been better for alot of poeple
  • Options
    Who failed to turn up Disco? Where do they live - shall we go round there and have a word?
    Off It, you obviously can not take opinions or suggestions on how to improve things. Whether it is negative or not surely the club would love to hear the fans view on things. If you read what Airman Brown says even he suggested that the attendence should of been better and the club knows this.

I agree that the attendence yesterday was good for a league one team but with the £5 offer and the way the club handled this I would of thought 4,500 more would have turned up.

Whether you like it or not, we have to agree to differ on this.
  • Options
    So now you want to become personal and offensive? Enjoy Grimsby - you deserve each other.
    oooooh, you miserable old tart
  • Options
    I get this assumption from the club that we was expecting a bigger attendence than what we got yesterday by the number of stewards and police located at the away end. I think we had more stewards on our side at the away end than the fans who decided to sit at the away end so I think the club would count that part as a failure.

We expected 22-24,000 yesterday morning, based on advance sales; at the start of the offer we had no idea. As I've tried to get across, there is no if/but/maybe option with the Jimmy Seed Stand. If you decide not to do it, you cannot change that on the day however many turn up. Once you decide, the stewards and police are in place, whether you use it or not.

We felt that there was sufficient chance of the attendance exceeding the number of usable home area seats, which is not home stand capacity but the point at which all we have left is restricted views and singles, bearing in mind the number of people who bought multiple seats for this game.

I think it was a good crowd, but personally I believe we could have sold out if we had reached more people with the offer. So next time we will build on the experience of both offers and try to do that. I don't criticise people who didn't come or even what we did to promote it, just look for ways to do it better, and acknowledge that we can. But the result is more important than the attendance.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Fair point Airman, you know what your doing :-)
  • Options

On a positive note, in front of me were about four adults, and about three young children. All clearly Charlton fans. The littlest child, although a bit bewildered by the newness of the experience, was obviously enjoying himself, and more importantly the adults were enjoying the kids enjoyment if you get my drift. I assume these little groups could be found throughout the stadium, and there will be a willingness to return as a result.

In my view the increased gate will pay off, and I predict now that we will average just over 16,000 for the whole season.....figures our rivals can only dream of, especially when you consider Millwall would be too small for such a crowd anyway, and Palace initiatives never seem to pay off for them.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    It was indeed a good crowd and the fact that we had a nice win will go down well with all the floating fans who turned up because of the £5 offer. Let's hope that they all got a taste for  the good football that the current team is serving up.
  • Options
    Someone said about people going to uni. For alot of my mates this was there first week at uni, so just a week or 2 before could have been better for alot of poeple
    On the other hand, its the first week of uni at Greenwich, which I assume was targeted to some extent by the club.  Since they're going to be in the area for the next few years, getting them on board as a fairly cheap way to spend a hungover saturday afternoon isn't a bad idea.
  • Options
    I was in the south stand with a few mates I brought along who are non regulars and the stewards behaviour was totally unacceptable. We went in there because we wanted a view point of the home ends with a big crowd and a good atmosphere. They tried a few times to move everyone over to the end block nearest the east stand. When that failed we were eventually told....." Either move out or I will effing throw you out" 

Before that they were hassling people who were drinking beer at the top of the steps of the concourse. Their whole posture was about looking for any little excuse to throw people out, staring at people, snarling at people and making silly childish threats. My friends will not be coming back any time soon and even left the ground early, hence missing another goal after we all missed the 2nd goal as we were behind the bloody east stand at the time!

Don`t think that`s the way to entice people back to the Valley somehow.

The law is quite strict about drinking alcohol in view of the pitch. The law might be an ass but it's the law*. Had the stewards failed to enforce the law then they/the club could be fined, those stewards might not get work at the Valley again and had their been an incident of some kind, even if not started by those consuming alcohol then again the club would be in trouble.

* I blame Margaret Thatcher.

• Options
    I've seen it all now. We get over 22k for a third division game and people are still trying to put a downer on it.

Well done to Airman and his team. Some of us really do appreciate the hard work and effort that went into making yesterday a tremendous success. No ifs, no buts.

Agreed At selhurst in the 1st we got 7k at most when we returned to The Valley we struggled to fill 3 stands. 22K for a third division team is very well done
  • Options
    I see it as a taster\lost leader for future sales although AB says we covered costs. The real test of its success will be in months and years to come.

This. Great marketing and a lot of hard work by a lot of people to achieve it.

Thanks to the likes of Valiantphil

• Options
    Yes and in the words of old bag Mrs T those of you moaning that we didn't sell more tickets should shut your trap and rejoice, rejoice, rejoice!

Not everyone who could have gone was able to go for one. Some like me are on holiday (Croatia thanks for asking and very nice too...) others will have had long standing commitments, etc, etc...

We sent out a message yesterday that we are bouncing back off the pitch as well as on. Be satisfied for once eh???
  • Options
    well done the club and fans yesterday. a decent performance that should put more bums on seats in the future. thought the crowd played their part yesterday
  • Options
    Was it a success - yes - just remember the number of smiling kids faces, many of who will have been first timers. Will they buy sesaon tickets this year. No. But many will return for a few games later in the season and become fans of the future.   Well done to the club and everyone who helped.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it was a success and i put the slightly lower crowd than Exeter purely down to the fact that Exeter had the novelty factor added to the fact that it was a disasterous performance that could only have put floaters off. Well done all. I have no doubt whatsoever that Airman etc do and have done a better job at bringing fans in than at any other time in the club's history. We were notorious for being less slick than any other club before the 're birth' of the 90's and any suggestions here should be viewed as tinkering rather than criticism. I'd agree that maybe getting the schoolkid freebys to sit in a block nearer the home end would work better as kids love a bit of atmosphere. There is no doubt that the acoutics of the away end must leave most floaters with the impression that we are quiet if they are right up that end.  
  • Options
    There was a floater in the North stand bog
  • Options
    50 floaters in the Jimmy Seed - no wonder they got flushed out - could have got very messy.
  • Options
    A floater, terrible ! Stewards around the stadium should be issued with a brush to break up this kind of trouble, rather an ushering home fans around the ground. No wonder we didn't get 25,000 some people had advance warning . I bet the floater was Millwall. just the sort of offensive, scumbag behaviour they are famous for.

Airman sort it out !
  • Options
    50 floaters in the Jimmy Seed - no wonder they got flushed out - could have got very messy.
    drives me round the bend
  • Options
    nothing worse than trying to wave an old friend off to the seaside and they just won't leave. 
  • Options

strange, but in all the years i've gone to football i don't think i've ever had an 'eartha' at the valley. Never even felt one enter the departure lounge let alone actually take off. Must be some sort of nervous short circuiting thst suspends all bowel activity. 

• Options
    My perspective of it was we aimed for getting 20k+, we got 22k. I was hoping for more but didn't really expect it. Great atmosphere (esp in north-upper where i was standing sitting). There's always going to be the odd instance that with hindsight could have been avoided but all-in-all a successful operation. Well done to the board and everyone else involved in aceiving this, and that goes to all you supporters who dragged non supporters along.

Happy days!
  • Options
    The really important thing is that Airman and his team, and a lot of people here and throughout the support, persuaded about 8,000 more people to turn up than would have been the case if there was no offer, and they all had a bloody good time. That means a lot of them will consider coming again, which would not have happened after the Exeter fiasco. That's why i'm sure we can call this a big success.