Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

why does it feel like garages rip you off ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    _nam11 said:

On the paperwork they gave, they said pads are worn, discs are scored. I assume £300 is a fair price in that case?

If your discs are scored they have had it. And its probably your worn pads that have done it.
    In the old days you could get the discs skimmed but nowadays its not worth the effort. If you can get hold of a micrometer and measure the thickness of the discs and then see what the manufacturers spec is, it might be an option but I doubt it would be cost effective even if there was some meat left on them.
  • Options
    With all the clients on here I reckon anyone on here who is a mechanic should open their own garage you'd never be without customers
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    _nam11 said:

On the paperwork they gave, they said pads are worn, discs are scored. I assume £300 is a fair price in that case?

Who did this quote? If kwik Fit, forget it. They quoted me several hundred for brakes/discs that didn't need doing. You might want to get a second opinion eitherway, or just some research online. There is good info out there and some helpful vids on YouTube.

As for MOT always use garage that does only MOTs like http://thetestcentre.co.uk/ in Deptford who are, or were, run by the council, MOT'ing council vehicles. They do the testing with no incentive to rip you off.
  • Options
    If anyone lives within a catchment of Rochester and needs a very good well priced mechanic PM me on here ànd ill set you up. He will travel too if needed
  • Options
    Here is a tale of a garage not ripping one off. I have just returned from a garage that I had not used before - recommended by a friend. I have a MGF where the hood was sticking and unable to open. The garage investigated and found that by pushing one of the hood beams it was freed and able to be opened. I asked how much and was pleased to be informed that there would be no charge. Needless to say they will have my business in future
  • Options

Here is a tale of a garage not ripping one off. I have just returned from a garage that I had not used before - recommended by a friend. I have a MGF where the hood was sticking and unable to open. The garage investigated and found that by pushing one of the hood beams it was freed and able to be opened. I asked how much and was pleased to be informed that there would be no charge. Needless to say they will have my business in future

Ah ha, now youve fallen into their trap, next time you'll go in for spark plugs and the engine and gearbox will have to come out, kerchingggg!