Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnet to be forced out of Underhill.

Comments

• Options
    THE last word.
    Who made you 'last word' monitor?

Is this really necessary?
  • Options
    Without knowing all the ins and outs of this why don't the football and rugby clubs share a ground?
  • Options
    Why, because I hate a boring to watch, IMHO,  minority sport that thinks it's better morally and socially than football.

The way the Barnet Council have bent over backwards to help a rugby side while screwing their local and long standing football team is just another example of this.
    No, because open minded means unprejudiced.

Interesting that a sport can 'think' - I'll remember that next time I'm sitting next to opposition supporters sharing a round of drinks with them as we watch the game.
    Rugby is shit though!
    The skill level ends when they have put their boots on! At the end of the day its a game of catch played by fat blokes. ;o)
  • Options
    Without knowing all the ins and outs of this why don't the football and rugby clubs share a ground?
    Would be obvious but the rugger buggers wouldn't want the oiks messing up their pitch same way Twickers wouldn't allow England to use that stadium when Wembley was being re-built.
  • Options
    THE last word.
    Who made you 'last word' monitor?

Is this really necessary?
    Oh, yes.
    I despise all attempts to stifle free speech.
  • Options
    Why, because I hate a boring to watch, IMHO,  minority sport that thinks it's better morally and socially than football.

The way the Barnet Council have bent over backwards to help a rugby side while screwing their local and long standing football team is just another example of this.

Interesting that a sport can 'think' - I'll remember that next time I'm sitting next to opposition supporters sharing a round of drinks with them as we watch the game.
    Rugby is shit though!
    The skill level ends when they have put their boots on! At the end of the day its a game of catch played by fat blokes. ;o)
    You are forgetting the thin blokes, Greenie!
  • Options
    alright fellas..........keep your Barnets on.  ;-)
  • Options

Rugby is shit though!
    You are forgetting the thin blokes, Greenie!
    An oversight, I shall amend to, a game of catch played by fat blokes, or thin blokes who's only skill is the ability to run fast! :o)
  • Options
    On the new Saracens stadium, the pitch is likely to be artificial, so unless the league change the rules, Barnet couldn't use it.

On Twickenham, the RFU weren't allowed because of planning restraints to play England football games there, also the FA never approached the RFU
  • Options
    Would be obvious but the rugger buggers wouldn't want the oiks messing up their pitch same way Twickers wouldn't allow England to use that stadium when Wembley was being re-built.
    Local council and residents prevented a share.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No, Twickers said football could never be played at their cabbage patch.  Just as they used to stop clubs from different codes sharing grounds.

That was until the rugger clubs realised that they could use those nice new soccer grounds at Reading or Watford or Wycombe.
  • Options
    Yet when rugby is played on a football pitch, it resembles a ploughed field afterwards.They tend to keep their grass nice and long to prevent wear and tear from a bunch of ruperts
  • Options
    And the RFU said no due to planning constraints, the same ones which effect there ability to host concerts at Twickenham during the summer, We could of course create a myth that the RFU are anti football.

• Options

Rugby Club are putting in an artificial pitch so it can be used all seasons and hired out during the week I think the reason the original plans of Barnet were thrown out were local residents complaining that 30 home games ( I think the rugby club have said only 14 a year) so 40 odd home games as season would go down very badly.

I think the whole above is some grandstanding from a very shrewd businessman, who will come out of the whole thing smelling of roses.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    No, Twickers said football could never be played at their cabbage patch.  Just as they used to stop clubs from different codes sharing grounds.

That was until the rugger clubs realised that they could use those nice new soccer grounds at Reading or Watford or Wycombe.
    Planning restrictions prevent even the RFU from holding extra events, so I think you may be mistaken.
    The RFU would have welcomed the extra income, especially as the construction and all improvements to Twickenham have been paid for by the RFU without recourse to public funds. Its almost as though you have an agenda!
  • Options
    Colin Powell came from Barnet of course - also remember seeing him play for Barnet and Dartford
  • Options

Perfect summary of rugby. Just superb. I'm going to use that every time someone mentions the Rugby World Cup.
  • Options

On the new Saracens stadium, the pitch is likely to be artificial, so unless the league change the rules, Barnet couldn't use it.

On Twickenham, the RFU weren't allowed because of planning restraints to play England football games there, also the FA never approached the RFU
    In May 1998, the Rugby Football Union board turned down an approach from
    the FA to stage football matches at Twickenham. "The position
    effectively remains the same," an RFU spokesman said yesterday

It seems strange that they built The Hive 6 miles away from Underhill, surely there's a nearer site? 6 miles is a big distance, a lot of Bee fans walk to the games and I'm not sure if they'll have many fans in Edgeware.
  • Options
    The only thing to add to Henry's summary of rugby union is that any game where you can advance up the pitch by kicking the ball off has got to be wrong.
  • Options

Arsenal reserves use Underhill so presumably Afc will be asked to cough up a few extra pounds in rent. Saracens are moving into the Copthall stadium and are paying to have the place redeveloped, that is probably why the club is being charged a peppercorn rent as the council will be able to use the improved facility for athletics, concerts and other summer events during the close season.

I suspect that Barnet f c has been 'persona non grata' in the borough since the days of Flashman and Fry and the council has been waiting for the chance to deport the club from the borough.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    and when did Barnet become 'the bees'?, surely Brentford are 'the bees'. Barnet should redefine themselves as 'the bees knees' perhaps
  • Options
    Put the context to FoDs attempt to look clever

"One option that has been considered is to play the FA Cup final at Twickenham, the 75,000-capacity home of English rugby union. That remains an outside possibility but the local council and residents are likely to oppose such a move. In May 1998, the Rugby Football Union board turned down an approach from the FA to stage football matches at Twickenham. "The position effectively remains the same," an RFU spokesman said yesterday"
  • Options
    Likely to oppose... RFU turned down. Maybe it was turned down to keep the residents happy, maybe it wasn't.
  • Options
    Who have opposed every concert, every redevelopment, and any plans for other sports. American football has been vetoed too in recent years by Richmond Council
  • Options
    But the ground has been completely redeveloped within 20years, concerts have been there like U2 but the article states the RFU...actually I don't care, whatever you win. All the best to Barnet.
  • Options
    I also have a soft spot for Barnet since watching Jimmy Greaves play for them a couple of times in circa 1977. Hope all turns out well for them.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    The only thing to add to Henry's summary of rugby union is that any game where you can advance up the pitch by kicking the ball off has got to be wrong.
    Which brings us nicely back to Barnet who under Barry Fry regularly employed a tactic called the hedgehog which involved just this.
  • Options
    Rugby. Fun to play. Deathly boring to watch.
  • Options

The Official annoucement has just been made that they are to leave Underhill at the end of the season.

I suspect that they will be heading to their training ground the Hive near Edgware and Stanmore .Personally I'm sad , Underhill is a proper old style Football Ground not a faceless bowl.

• Options
    Gutted about that.  I live a 15 minute walk away. The football's always terrible, but it's a good afternoon out and a very friendly club.