Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Request from FourFourTwo magazine: Charlton's Best & Worst foreign players

124»

Comments

• Options
    I think Stig has made the best and most accurate post, but dare I say only regarding the BEST section.

I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons with my proposal for the worst. Something people aren't paying any attention to is the level players were playing at when they were playing for the club. I too hated seeing Traore, Faye and Hasslewank contribute to our ultimate relegation from the Premier League but the point is that they were in the top division. Also the 4-4-2 guy asked us not to take emotions into account. Therefore, as much as I hate Hasslewank for assuming that Boro & Chelsea fans had to be appeased more than to celebrate with Charlton fans, I don't think he can be named as our worst ever foreign player. I would suggest some foreign players who not only played in the 3rd Division but failed miserably in doing so, contributing to our lowest league position since the early seventies (when in all likeliness we didn't have any foreign players) and in my opinion because they were in fact crap (although most people seem to be blind to this). Surely then people should be voting for Semedo, Racon, or wait for it.... Alan McCormack.

BEST: I'd say Kinsella or Jensen but trust my Dad's opinion enough to vote for Leary.

WORST: I'll say Semedo because I'm sure enough people will vote now for McCormack!

P.S: Foreign must include the Republic of Ireland. It is outside of the UK.
  • Options
    Best: Firmani, Jorge Costa or Jensen

Worst: Karim Bagheri
  • Options
    Best: Firmani, Jorge Costa or Jensen

Worst: Karim Bagheri
    Did Bagheri play the minimum number of 10 games stipulated? I don't think so.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited October 2011
    Best: Claus Jenson - great cultured footballer. (Jorge Costa 2nd)

Worst: Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. Past it by the time he came to charlton, poor fitness, slow, terrible attitude (always moaning), stopped younger players coming through the ranks and paid an absolute packet. Never should have come to the club. A real mercenary who did nothing for the club but contribute to our relegation.

Amady Faye and Djimi Traore were dire as well but JFH, was a greater negative for the club.
  • Options
    best- di canio
    worst-JFH or jamaican international kevin lisbie
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Thanks to all for the input.

No chance of representing everyone's views, but here's what I finally went with:

Best foreign player:

A lot of the contemporary vote goes to our cultured Danish midfielder, Claus Jensen, who epitomised the Premier League heights we reached during the Curbishley era. However, those of us who belong to an older generation think back fondly to the 1950’s and 60’s and remember two of our South African imports, Eddie Firmani and Stuart Leary; as our all-time record League goalscorer, Stuart Leary gets the vote.

Worst foreign player:

It galls me to say it, but there was a time when we were blessed with Djimi Traore and Amdy Faye. Traore was sent off on his debut and then got progressively worse for us, but Amdy Faye takes the honours for being truly awful and probably the best example of all that is wrong with modern football ... one of many talentless, money-hungry players hawked around by equally money-hungry agents.
  • Options
    Cheers Dave.  Look like fair choices to me.
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the input.

No chance of representing everyone's views, but here's what I finally went with:

Best foreign player:

A lot of the contemporary vote goes to our cultured Danish midfielder, Claus Jensen, who epitomised the Premier League heights we reached during the Curbishley era. However, those of us who belong to an older generation think back fondly to the 1950’s and 60’s and remember two of our South African imports, Eddie Firmani and Stuart Leary; as our all-time record League goalscorer, Stuart Leary gets the vote.

Worst foreign player:

It galls me to say it, but there was a time when we were blessed with Djimi Traore and Amdy Faye. Traore was sent off on his debut and then got progressively worse for us, but Amdy Faye takes the honours for being truly awful and probably the best example of all that is wrong with modern football ... one of many talentless, money-hungry players hawked around by equally money-hungry agents.
    Pretty good call that, Dave.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Leary and Faye were our choices as published in the Mag this month. Good prediction from Dave Rudd above : - )

After a quick scan it seems that nearly everyone else chose players from the last two decades.

"Cos if you know your history......"
  • Options
    Jensen by a country mile - however - Jorge Costa is up there with Hales and Mendonca for me.
    Jimmy Floyd Hasslewank must push Traore close.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CORRECTION - Forget former European Footballer of the Year Allan Simonesen......
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Stuart (The Crown Prince) Leary.

Not neccessarily the worst foreign player but definately the most dissapointing (which I suppose goes a long way to making him the worst in many ways) has to be Dennis Rommedahl.
  • Options
    Too late guys, it's already been published : - )
  • Options
    Other Addick links in the article :

Best Hrediarsson Brentford , Svensson Norwich , Di Canio West Ham
    Worst Mccammon Gills