Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

sky in pubs

That woman who was showing premier league games in her pub through a Greek decoder has just won her appeal.

Comments

• Options
    Excellent news I say. 

I feel sorry for landlords struggling to get punters in, specially those who cant afford to pay the extortionate fees that Sky charge.

• Options

Fantastic piece of news and well done that landlady for having the gumption to fight it all the way..............expect Sky to appeal though.

Next time we are playing Pompey (which wont be long folks) it wouldn't be a bad idea to visit her pub and tell her so face to face.

• Options
    Could have wide ranging consequences.

If pubs can show the games without paying Sky direct that is a huge income loss to them.

The reason Sky pay so much for UK broadcasting rights is so they can make a profit from pubs and homes.  Cut the income and eventually Sky will stop putting so much money the way of the PL.

Now that might be a good thing for a league one club but maybe not for a league one club with aspirations of reaching the PL soonish.    Or it could actually help a league one club that doesn't rely on Sky money to cover its costs in the way that Bolton, Wigan or Fulham do.

On a more serious point where do I get a greek decoder? : - )
  • Options
    Th clubs will get around it by either stopping the broadcast rights overseas or hugely inflating the costs for broadcasting PL Matches overseas which will give Sky a more competive edge. They will not want Sky to lose out as this income is far more important than any other stream.
  • Options
    Agree with Henry, this has the potential to have a huge knock on affect in many different ways
  • Options
    Surely with future deals with foreign broadcasters the Prem will forbid them from selling outside their own markets.
  • Options
    I don't think this will make a huge difference. Sky and the Premier League have too much to lose to allow this to go on and they will throw a few million quid at a lawyer (or an EU official) to get it sorted.
  • Options
    I'd like to think that this will eventually bring about a re-think at Sky towers, rather than a revolution. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to turn back the clock to the days prior to the creation of the Premiership, when the top league was more competitive, when there was no "big four", but as someone pointed out to me when this was raised previously, if the money goes out of the Premiership, expect our new backers to follow it - they're not in it for the love of Charlton Athletic.
  • Options
    Bad news for premiership fans in Greece/elsewhere in the world.  At the moment they get access to English games on the cheap.  What will happen now is that the EPL just won't sell rights to these countries or they'll bang up the costs if it cuts their lucrative UK pub revenues.  So, the pubs with the decoders can enjoy their cheap football while the current deal lasts but that'll be that.
  • Options
    Excellent news, anything that seeks to limit or curtail the power of Sky, and consequently, Murdoch is a good thing.

How terrible it would be to see less money going to top flight clubs...?  Really.  Get a grip, now this is only a potential but football clubs have always found ways to re-structure their finances, it's only the poorly run ones that run into difficulties.  If at the end of the line players have to accept less money, then I'm all for it.  I know we're a long, long way off from reaching that, and everyone that signs up to Sky is ultimately feeding the machine anyway, but I really hope this case does have consequences for them.

Under competition laws Sky simply wouldn't be allowed to control the amount of sport they do, it's only been the naivety and collusion of successive govts that has lead to the situation we have today.  I detest Sky, with a passion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bad news for premiership fans in Greece/elsewhere in the world.  At the moment they get access to English games on the cheap.  What will happen now is that the EPL just won't sell rights to these countries or they'll bang up the costs if it cuts their lucrative UK pub revenues.  So, the pubs with the decoders can enjoy their cheap football while the current deal lasts but that'll be that

From what I can tell, the landlady lost the case and pubcs won't be able to broadcast via foreign decoders. However the court said that it wasn't illegal for ordinary viewers to buy decoders.
  • Options

SKY argued over copyright, but the court ruled they do not own the copyright to the matches, but they do own the copyright to the graphics used, pre-edited compilation films etc so they would be able to say that anything that shows the score, substitutes names, stats etc cannot be shown without their permission and I dont think the Greek channel or whoever would be able to show the match with all that removed - especially the graphics.

• Options
    Bet sky are hacking her phone as we type
  • Options
    Bet sky are hacking her phone as we type
    Is there anyone they aren't hacking?
  • Options
    Right Jints, I've read it up and you're correct.  So, she actually lost the case.   They'll just get round this by bunging a logo on screen throughout. 
  • Options

SKY argued over copyright, but the court ruled they do not own the copyright to the matches, but they do own the copyright to the graphics used, pre-edited compilation films etc so they would be able to say that anything that shows the score, substitutes names, stats etc cannot be shown without their permission and I dont think the Greek channel or whoever would be able to show the match with all that removed - especially the graphics.

Amazing isnt it, or not Sky has the cheek to claim copyright infringement on 'graphics'...... as a graphic designer  I somehow cannot believe that Sky/murdoch gives a jot about the IPR of such things, unless of course he has had to pay for them, usually at a below market rate in my experience as well!. As  I posted a few a weeks ago  the 'event' wether it be football or F1 is becoming somewhat secondary, as the alleged owners of the 'rights' see it as a money making exercise. The fact that it is football is secondary. It is hardly  as if the commentary is that wonderful anyway!. 
    The bbc showed the arsenal goal on MOTD about 6 times, now I know that they do not score too many goals these days, but that is another question. This is the  same as claiming bigger coverage and having bigger photos and larger type in newspapers!. The BBC coverage is just a voice over of the sky feed shown hours earlier on Sky sports news. Frankly the comments are to say the least superficial, and from Claridge  even when we are top said through 'clenched teeth' ...
    I know we are in the third tier, but  media coverage is dominated by the top 6 in the prem.
    Good luck to anyone that gets a 'feed' from dubious sources personally. Perhaps  the EU will  be able to get some money from this senario?......., to solve the financial crisis that the country involved  with seems to be in the forefront off: Greece, because I cannot see this money ever cascading down to the lower league football clubs?
  • Options
    Heard an interview with a lawyer on Talksport earlier & he basically said that nothing changes as sky have the rights to all Graphics & the Greeks could not afford to use their own!!
  • Options
    just watched an interview with her on bbc site.

Next question is (mainly for us older gents) "Would ya?"

Yes from me. The money shot for me is the fact she runs a boozer. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The fact that so many people seem to think Murdoch runs Sky undermines a lot of this thread.

• Options
    The fact that so many people seem to think Murdoch runs Sky undermines a lot of this thread.

Well Sky is owned by BSkyB which James Murdoch controls. News Corporation, which Rupert Murdoch controls, is also a shareholder. And if you think that Rupert has no influence over BSkyB then you're in cloud cuckoo land.
  • Options
    Where did I say that he has no influence, Rizzo? Or was that made up so you could use the killer cuckoo line!? I said he doesn't run Sky. As if everything that happens at Sky is an extension of his twisted mind. It really isn't.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised if the rights are sold on a pan-European basis for a massive fee to Sky/News Corp next time round. I think I'm right in saying that they have operations in all the major markets.

Anther effect of that could be even more games being moved away from Saturday 3pm. Games then can't be shown here but can abroad - all the United/Chelsea fans abroad will still want to watch their games....
  • Options
    Right.....
    please, in simple terms that even a carpet-fitter can understand (i.e. simple), Is this a good thing for:

1). Charlton Athletic FC.
    2). The person (me) who can just about afford SkySports.
    3). The Pub trade.

Thank You.
  • Options
    Right.....
    please, in simple terms that even a carpet-fitter can understand (i.e. simple), Is this a good thing for:

3). The Pub trade.

Thank You.
    Probably not.

Sky will change the way they sell rights- I doubt it will get cheaper for UK Sky customers.
  • Options
    The logo thing is interesting I guess one would have to grey them out somehow without it costing a lot which on a live feed would be tricky

Sell the rights as a single package or indeed sky bid in each country, surely the espn competition arrangement would apply and only allow that to a limited degree, wonder how it does currently?
  • Options
    The reason Sky pay so much for UK broadcasting rights is so they can make a profit from pubs and homes. Cut the income and eventually Sky will stop putting so much money the way of the PL.

Sky broadcast football and pretty much most sport as a loss leader to get the punters in and have done since they won their first contract.

• Options
    Right.....

3). The Pub trade.

Thank You.

1. I doubt that it'll make much difference to income.

2. I doubt there'll be much difference. You can buy the BT version - Sky Sports 1 and 2 (I think) if you want as an additional service to BT supplied television. That hasn't taken off, but that could be down to cutomer inertia as anything.

3. Ironically no...pubs still can't broadcast Sky legally as infringes the use of their logo, that will get resolved in time. I suspect that what will happen is that Sky will slash the prices they charge the licensed  trade.

Murdoch owns 40% of Sky and undoubtedly has a lot of influence. He's not known for having a hands-off style of management.