Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Graham Dilley - RIP

Only 52. Terrible shame.

Comments

• Options
    Big shame, Dartford born. RIP.
  • Options
    That's a shock.
    RIP
  • Options
    Shame - leaves me as the 2nd most famous person to have been to my primary school.

Second only to Mick Jagger
  • Options
    That's terrible.  A big hero of mine as a kid.  Remember his early call up for tour to Australia in 1979 aged about 20. Saw him play for Dartford also with neil Taylor.  Supposed to have challenged Botham to a hitting contest at Headingly 1981, the rest is history.

Lillee c Willey b Dilley……………….

RIP Picca
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Played against him at school level when we were both 15. Needless to say he was quick then but when he hit me on the hip I didn't seem to feel a thing at first. That was until the numbness wore off! He also scored 102 n.o. in the game out of their total of 135 and I missed running him out when he was on 20.

Followed his career from then on and was as interested as his performance at Headingly '81 as I was with Botham's.

RIP Graham.
  • Options
    terrible shame

what was wrong with him ?

anyone know ?
  • Options

Headingley 81 legendary

loved his delayed in the air front foot and back foot drag as he delivered the ball

• Options
    Shame - leaves me as the 2nd most famous person to have been to my primary school.

Wentworth?
  • Options

RIP

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP

Many, many an hour as a kid watching him on TV.
  • Options

Terrible news.

RIP.

• Options
    Well that is very sad - same age as me. I remember watching him for Kent and England. He was genuinely fast with quite a chest on action. He was one of those rare cricketers who bowled right and batted left handed.

I shall never forget "Botham's" Ashes in 1981 and the Headingley test when from a hopeless position Beefy and Picca put the Aussie attach to the sword. Dilley got his maiden test 50 with some crunching drives off the back foot through extra cover. England edged a lead of over 100 and then Willis bowled them out.

Graham always seemed to be such an athlete - now he's gone.

RIP big man.
  • Options

Got his England cap before his Kent cap if memory serves me right.

He was genuinely quick and, for such a relatively inexperienced player, never seemed overawed by test cricket unlike many.

Very sad news at only 52.

RIP

• Options
    Very sad. A crowd of us used to play cricket and football on Dartford Heath/Crayford Corner when we were nippers including Graham and his brother Brian. I seem to remember his dad had something to do with Dartford Nomads CC that played matches on the Heath.
  • Options
    Played against him and his brother --schools cricket. 

RIP
  • Options

Wentworth?

Indeed
  • Options
    RIP. Remember him ending the innings of Javed Miandad who'd made 260 at The Oval with a sharp caught and bowled chance.
  • Options

My assistant at work Alan used to coach Graham as a kid at Meopham CC....his son knew Graham very well when they were junior league players........they are both very shocked and saddened.

Alan phoned his son at work to let him know.

I remember Grahams exploits as if it were yesterday.

RIP Graham old son....RIP.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrible news as he was far too young to die. RIP Graham
  • Options
    What absolutely shocking news. Graham was a great player for Kent & England. His performance in the Headingley Test in 1981 will ensure that he is never forgotten. RIP
  • Options

Wentworth?

Indeed
    Same as me but infants, I didnt know Dilley was there.
  • Options
    Son is Captain of Worcester Rugby team - he often turned up to games.
    Top man - opened our school astro turf wicket with Knotty
  • Options

Wentworth?

Indeed
    Same here...how old are you now?
  • Options
    Un sung hero. RIP Sir. 
  • Options
    Shocking news - grew up watching him thunder in for Kent .
    May he R.I.P.
  • Options
    Really sad.
    When he got it right he was genuinely quick and who could forget the part he played in the Headingley Test of 81.
    Anyone remember his catch down at long leg to dismiss Rod Marsh? 

RIP Graham.