Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chelsea ground move.

Can anyone explain in very simple terms for a very simple man what the hell is going on here please? I must have known it at the time but I had clearly forgoten but apparently ownership of the pitch and the stands does not lie with the club hence they are trying to buy the shares back from the supporters 'club' thingy in order to potentially move to another location but the club are not saying where to or when. Is that right?

Is Ken Bates still involved somehow then? I would imagine if he is he'll be more than helpful. Not.

Comments

• Options
    day in the bad old days Stamford Bridge was under threat of re-development by I think the Mears Family who owned the club before bates.

To prevent the ground being developed the pitch was divided up in to 100s of pieces (not literally) and sold to fans.

The idea was that no one person owned the land so it would be almost impossible to buy them all and then build.

Now Chelsea want to move to Battersea but to fund that need to sell Stamford Bridge, presumably for more expensive houses and hotels.

• Options
    I see that the club are only offering what the pitch owners paid for it.
  • Options
    I see that the club are only offering what the pitch owners paid for it.
    yes, tight sods.

There argument is "your fans, you didn't buy to make a profit" which may well be true but is a bit rich coming from a Club that is quite happy to spend fortunes on players and charge the earth for tickets
  • Options
    A peice of the pitch is worth sod all.....................................

"Walks off gingerly to collect coat"
  • Options
    A peice of the pitch is worth sod all.....................................

"Walks off gingerly to collect coat"
    I like your post but feel a mown coming on.
  • Options
    Ssshh......don't grass on me or I'll get turfed out.
  • Options
    they're a lawn unto themselves
  • Options
    My understanding is that a group of supports bought the pitch and 1 or 2 of the stands when the club almost went bust in the 90s.
  • Options

Chelsea fans are going mad at the proposals to knock down Stamford bridge and relocate to a bigger stadium, one fan was quoted as saying......

"You can't just bulldoze seven years of history"

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    My understanding is that a group of supports bought the pitch and 1 or 2 of the stands when the club almost went bust in the 90s.
  • Options

Chelsea fans are going mad at the proposals to knock down Stamford bridge and relocate to a bigger stadium, one fan was quoted as saying......

"You can't just bulldoze seven years of history"

• Options
    All sounds a bit seedy to me
  • Options
    they're a lawn unto themselves
    excellent.
  • Options
    I knew you would pitch in again...
  • Options
    They want the fans to sell it back for the same prices they paid for it 20 years ago. Good luck with that one!
  • Options
    Do we have to keep raking over this?
  • Options
    Why don't you fork off?
  • Options
    Anyway I've been keeping all the newspaper articles on this. Perhaps you'd like to see my cuttings?
  • Options
    edited October 2011

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2011
    This moss stop now.
  • Options
    Anyway I've been keeping all the newspaper articles on this. Perhaps you'd like to see my cuttings?
    this is getting too much.  someone needs to weed some of these comments out
  • Options
    One of the shareholders said "as far as I'm concerned, if they want to buy my shares I reckon i mowed alot of green".
  • Options
    Does anyone know how much each bit is worth?

• Options
    Does anyone know how much each bit is worth?

Apparently, each share was bought for £100
  • Options
    It must have grown a bit over the years.
  • Options

The grass is always greener...

• Options
    Wonder if they bought it from a turf accountant?
  • Options
    more than likely a hedge fund
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    They were called The Chelsea Pitch Owners at the time and they did get the club out of a real mess. I knew one of them who lent me his season ticket for a home game agaist us  Petterson was in goal we lost 2 v 1.

Sadly my mate died after along battle with prostrat cancer , but he never forgot the real dark days when the "mighty Chelsea" only got 7,000 for a home game and when the club went cap in had to the fans----------------------------RIP Jimmy

Still they are getting brought out unlike our own shareholders who put the money up front and got turned over  for nothing.