Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Insensitive interviewing.

DON'T READ THIS IF YOU'VE RECORDED THE BRITISH SUPERBIKE RACING TODAY.         How would you feel if, after six months of hard motorcycle racing you lost out in the very last race by coming second and missing out on the British Supersport Championship by two points? Myself, I'd be just a bit disappointed. This is what happened to Ben Wilson this afternoon at Brands Hatch and almost before he had taken his crash hat off Eurosport's interviewe, Tony Carter, shoved a microphone in his face asking ' You've just missed out on the Championship Ben, what's going through your mind right  now?'  Wilson was almost in tears and his mum, standing not too far away certainly was. I think I would have used that crash helmet for a purpose it wasn't intended for.

In the big, final race of the day (and the BSB season, come to that), the decider of The British Superbike Championship, Tommy Hill (from Lingfield) won the race and the Championship in a thrilling race by 0.006 of a second from his nearest rival, the American John Hopkins who would have won the crown if he'd come first. Imagine your feelings if , again, after six months of racing you lost out by such a tiny margin. But that didn't stop our intrepid interviewer from asking exactly the same question as an emotional Hopkins got off his 'bike. I swear  murder  was in Hopkins' eyes as he managed to mumble a couple of words  into the microphone.  But our man wasn't to be denied, as once again he started asking follow up questions of an almost incoherent Hopkins.

I know it's the bloke's job to get the views and opinions of the people concerned in such competitions, but shouldn't there be some feeling for their emotions in such situations?

Anyone got any other examples of such interviewing techniques?

P.S. Even if you aren't a 'bike racing fan, try to see the 2nd. race of the BSB Championship, it's one of the most exciting races I've ever seen. I'm sure Eurosport will be repeating it during the week.

Comments

• Options

I remember the Raoul Moat thing when the live reporter was prompting a distraught woman on the phone to her mum who was in the firing line of the loon who as of then hadnt been cornered if i remember rightly.  The poor cow was in a total state of shock understandably telling her mum what to do etc and this utter burke of a reporter was pushing her and interrupting her conversation to find out what was going on for a bit of sensationilsm.

• Options
    Unfortunately it happens all the time now. Look at anything from trivial things like football matches and the X Factor through to full scale disasters like 9/11 and there is always some complete helmet rushing to wherever to ask "How are you feeling?". One of these days someone is going to say "How do you thinki I'm feeling, you c**t" and lay the reporter out - and when they do we will all nod and say, "it was coming".
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Yes, it's sickening. but on the other hand, if the TV money wasn't there, they wouldn't earn a quarter of what they do. Dance with the devil, pay the piper.
  • Options
    Mick Mills England Captain walking off pitch after draw with Spain eliminates team from 82 world cup and ends the 33 YOs international career.

"How do you feel Mick?"
  • Options
    edited October 2011

On a similar note i remember seeing a journeyman boxer being interviewed and he werent the brightest spark bless him.

It went something like:

Interviewer: You took a pretty bad beating in your last fight, what state were you in afterwards?

Boxer: What state?  (long pause for thought)..................Idaho.

• Options
    Things are bad when you get punched so hard you end up in Idaho.
  • Options

You want some insensitive interviewing? Try the idiot Stephen Nolan on 5Live at the weekends. Here's a typical one from him...

To a recently bereaved parent - "What's it like to lose a child?"

• Options

Two championships sorted out in the last lap of the last race, with the main championship seeing the two leaders swapping positions repeatedly in the last lap of the race and ending up with a rizla (suzuki) paper between them.  Local hero wins the championship at his home race against the affable GP star.  Man, I'm sorry, but I wanted to know what Hopper had to say.  After a MotoGP season so tedious it's like watching 2 wheeled formula one it's great that BSB continues to provide that quality and excitement for a budget price.  It's a shame for Wilson, I'm at that level they take massive risks for fairly limited reward.  In fairness to Eurosport (who provide great coverage) I suspect they had to be a bit more rapid with the interviews as everything was on a hurry up with a few red flags delaying the racing and light fading. 

Sorry to drift off topic, but BSB deserves a massive big up.

• Options
    i hope dr fox gets a lot of insensitive interviewing over the next few days
  • Options
    Love BSB. Miles better than WSB and MotoGP.

Shame Hopkins didn't win this year as he's absolutely class - but Hill is a deserved winner. Kind of happy Byrne didn't win; as fast as he is, it's good to have new blood winning the championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

McLovin, I agree with all you say re; Eurosport's coverage and presentation and they had the sort of racing  in all catogries that you can usually only dream about. It just got to me that Carter seemed unaware of the emotions involved and pressed on regardless with his questions. It would have been better to have had the press/TV outside the parc ferme for a minute or two then given Eurosport first option to have the interviews. But no matter,  the racing was what really mattered and it was, as you say, tremendous,  and  even my missus was cheering Tommy on (he sometimes rides his mountain bike round our way).

• Options

John Higgins lost his father a few months before winning the world snooker championship this year.

He was interviewed by Hazel Irvine afterwards. In the first couple of questions she was trying get around to talking about his father. Higgins veeerd away from that and answered that he was happy to win, opponent played well etc.

Then Irvine had to push it one more time and said something like 'There will be someone in heaven having a dram for you to tonight', at this point HIggins broke down in tears.

What a bitch I thought, she just had to push it to get some tears. 

• Options
    Unfortunately it happens all the time now. Look at anything from trivial things like football matches and the X Factor through to full scale disasters like 9/11 and there is always some complete helmet rushing to wherever to ask "How are you feeling?". One of these days someone is going to say "How do you thinki I'm feeling, you c**t" and lay the reporter out - and when they do we will all nod and say, "it was coming".
    Unfortunately, the reporter will then indefinitely sue said person for GBH and get away with it, despite him thoroughly deserving getting clocked in the face for acting like a total and utter twat. What a brilliant society we live in...
  • Options

This event. Brands Hatch.

Was any models there?

• Options
    Tony Carter has got to be the biggest pillock around. Wish someone would lamp him!
  • Options

Two championships sorted out in the last lap of the last race, with the main championship seeing the two leaders swapping positions repeatedly in the last lap of the race and ending up with a rizla (suzuki) paper between them.  Local hero wins the championship at his home race against the affable GP star.  Man, I'm sorry, but I wanted to know what Hopper had to say.  After a MotoGP season so tedious it's like watching 2 wheeled formula one it's great that BSB continues to provide that quality and excitement for a budget price.  It's a shame for Wilson, I'm at that level they take massive risks for fairly limited reward.  In fairness to Eurosport (who provide great coverage) I suspect they had to be a bit more rapid with the interviews as everything was on a hurry up with a few red flags delaying the racing and light fading. 

Sorry to drift off topic, but BSB deserves a massive big up.

Having been a huge GP fan up to the demise of Biaggi /Rossi /Gibernau battles ended, BSB has been the pinnacle of 2 wheel racing for a few seasons now. Agree, therefore, with all you say - though the Moto2 is cracking to watch in the flesh. That third race was as good as any race I've ever seen - how Hill survived that scare at Surtees I cant imagine.
  • Options

Yes, I think he must have ridden old Triumphs as a boy: you get to take terrible handling and roadholding as a matter of course. :-)

• Options
    Hopefully MotoGP will improve next year with more teams getting involved.

I can't particularly see the sense in 1000cc machines; but it does mean that it'll be more of an even playing field. Hopefully Ducati (owning one myself) will start competing. Lot of pressure on Rossi, JB etc... in the off season.

Went to BSB at Knockhill this year. Despite pissing down, and having a spill on the way there, was a cracking day.