Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 92

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
The thread about the charity challenge got me thinking, I wonder if there are any players that have played at all 92 grounds?

I was thinking maybe a Bradford player as they have gone right down through the leagues?

Anybody know?

Comments

• Options
    Alan Cork.
  • Options
    I. Ashby at Hull played in all 4 divisions for the club
  • Options
    If I was you I would start my search by looking at Northampton Town. If memory serves me well they went from the fourth division to The old Division 1 and dropped back down to the Fourth in straight seasons. I think they hold the record for going up 4 divisions and back down 4 divisions in 8 seasons.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Just looked, it took them 5 years to get the 3 promotions alone. Swansea under Toshack / subsequent manager may have gone nearer to this record.
  • Options

I'm sure former Norwich ,Colchester and Torquay Centre Back Duncan Forbes played on all 92 grounds during the 60's and 70's. ,I think he was the original honourary president of the 92 club.

It would be harder now with teams leaving the league and new stadiums all the time.

• Options
    Excellent research RJ, I'm sure other players must have done it but can't find anywhere to confirm it!
  • Options
    As Richard J says its harder now with new clubs joining the league every season.
    As a suggestion go back to when teams were elected to the old football league and at least that gives your research some stability and may give you a starting point.
    Another thing to remember is that years ago players were not on the mega bucks the Lampards are earning now and when your footballing days were finished you had to find yourself a job.
    Therefore many players were in the First or Second Division in their prime and gradually moved down to the lower divisions to earn a living as speed, pace and skill deserted them with age.

Good Luck with your search but it might be like trying to find the Holy Grail. Please post your results as i am very interested and curious what you will find.  
  • Options

Just checked the 92 club site and it does not mention Forbes I'm sure he achieved the feat but I am working from memory . I think one of the grounds may have been a testimonial.

It does mention the former Cardiff , Derby and Shrewsbury player the Welsh international Alan Durban as achieving the feat and being a honourary member . It even mentions Vale Park as the ground where he achieved his feat . Jim Smith is mentioned as the only manager.

In terms of modern players I suspect Bradley Johnson of Norwich might be close at the end of the season having played in all four divisions .

• Options
    Lee Dixon managed 91 - surprisingly Craven Cottage was the odd one out
  • Options
    Wasn't there a Hull player who played for them in all four divisions? Can't be far off the 92? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ashby
  • Options

Robert Earnshaw can't be too far off.

• Options
    Karim Bagheri came close, only 91 off. 
  • Options

Ian Ashbee, Boaz Myhill and Andy Dawson played in all 4 leagues for Hull so can't be far off.

• Options

One old Charlton player played at 91 of the old grounds .and the one he missed out on managed a side at that ground.

The name of the player and the ground he visited as a manager i will leave you to guess.

• Options
    (Sir) KP ?
  • Options
    Come on Lewis Coaches please please please put me out of my misery which one did he miss ????????????? The brain has been in overdrive and the remaining two brain cells are getting near meltdown.
  • Options
    The ex player was Theo Foley playing on 91 league grounds the first being st james Exeter City.The only ground that he missed out on was Chesterfields old ground but took Charlton to The Recreation Ground twice oct 72 and feb74.
  • Options
    I thought Chesterfield's old ground was Saltergate?
  • Options
    Chesterfield was Saltergate. Aldershot is The Recreation Ground I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No LC's correct. Like most people I think of the old Chesterfield ground as Saltergate but it's correct title is the Recreation Ground.
  • Options
    Cheers for that SheffieldRed got me thinking twice just then,Thanks for confirming correct title of ground.
  • Options
    I keep a spreadsheet tracking grounds I have watched Charlton play at - after Exeter away this season I will be on 66 - some are grounds where the club used to play e.g. I saw us at Highbury, but I’ve not seen us play at The Emirates, and some are their new ground e.g. Northampton, but I didn’t go to the County Ground

Makes it a bit messy to track, but I’m quietly impressed with myself - there are grounds I haven’t been to, and, unless we drew them in the FA Cup etc, I doubt I will ever see Charlton play away at (hopefully !!!)
  • Options
    I keep a spreadsheet tracking grounds I have watched Charlton play at - after Exeter away this season I will be on 66 - some are grounds where the club used to play e.g. I saw us at Highbury, but I’ve not seen us play at The Emirates, and some are their new ground e.g. Northampton, but I didn’t go to the County Ground

Makes it a bit messy to track, but I’m quietly impressed with myself - there are grounds I haven’t been to, and, unless we drew them in the FA Cup etc, I doubt I will ever see Charlton play away at (hopefully !!!)

Log on to this, this is very good.

• Options
    CAFCBill said:
    Hi Billy, nice looking notebook. If you'd like us to advertise it in our online club shop at doingthe92.com, please get in touch. 
  • Options

Log on to this, this is very good.

What a cracking website - thank you - I have joined, and spent a lovely time updating my grounds on there - not only is Prem / Football League, it goes a long way down the pyramid as well - my visits (non Charlton of course) to grounds such as Holbeach Utd, East Thurrock, Bognor, Eastbourne Borough, St Albans, Corinthian, even Uckfield (!!!) duly listed 
  • Options
    Nathan Jones has thwarted any notion I had of completing the 92 next season. 
  • Options
    Jamie Vardy must of played at most league grounds.
  • Options
    Mpanza. (Not sure if spelling) at Luton went from National League to Premier so he must be close.