Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Drink Drive solution

2»

Comments

• Everyone knows that Dutch cyclists are a much bigger threat to safety than car drivers.
  • Floyd, I'm not belittling anything - merely stating that this country's blinkered obsession with punishing drivers is getting out of hand.  Take, for example the proposed new punishment for causing death by dangerous driving.  In isolation it's difficult to argue against isn't it?  But how different is that offence from causing the deaths of your kids by not having smoke and carbon monoxide alarms working and fitted in your home?  Shouldn't that be an offence punishable by jail time?  Where do you draw the line?

Oh, by the way, while my comments about sober drivers were tongue in cheek, it's fair to say that speed cameras don't help.  First, this country had an exemplary record on reducing road deaths - until it got fixated on speed cameras.  Those year on year improvements have now gone.  Not really surprising when - according to the Govt's own figures excessive speed is a factor in only around 7% of road traffic accidents.

Of course if we were really serious about driving down unnecessary deaths we'd ban cigarettes and alcohol.

This whole thing is backward.  You cant say that something that kills is not worth clamping down on because there is something else that also kills.

And cigarettes and alcohol are responsible for largely self induced death where a choice has been made by someone to put themselves in that situation. If you crash your car into someone else, whether you were speeding or drunk or whatever, they havent made that choice.

• Floyd, I'm not belittling anything - merely stating that this country's blinkered obsession with punishing drivers is getting out of hand.  Take, for example the proposed new punishment for causing death by dangerous driving.  In isolation it's difficult to argue against isn't it?  But how different is that offence from causing the deaths of your kids by not having smoke and carbon monoxide alarms working and fitted in your home?  Shouldn't that be an offence punishable by jail time?  Where do you draw the line?

Oh, by the way, while my comments about sober drivers were tongue in cheek, it's fair to say that speed cameras don't help.  First, this country had an exemplary record on reducing road deaths - until it got fixated on speed cameras.  Those year on year improvements have now gone.  Not really surprising when - according to the Govt's own figures excessive speed is a factor in only around 7% of road traffic accidents.

Of course if we were really serious about driving down unnecessary deaths we'd ban cigarettes and alcohol.

I can't work out whether or not you're on a wind-up here - if you are, it's a good one. If not, then you must be ill. Comparing something utterly abstract like not fitting/testing smoke alarms with something criminally negligent like drink driving shows the reasoning of a child. Furthering that argument by comparing it with people killing themselves by smoking and drinking is ludicrous. Finally, point me to definitive, empirical evidence that speed cameras do NOT lead to a reduction in the number of road fatalities (rather than one or two specific examples, related to specific speed cameras, sponsored by the pro-driving-like-a-fucking-maniac-because-you've-got-a-BMW-and-feel-you-should-be-entitled-to-do-so brigade.)

Anyone who drink-drives - ANYONE - is a c***. Period.
  • edited October 2011
    Leroy get off the fence , we need to know where you stand on this!!!!
  • I think he is standing in my garden - well certainly the same side of the fence as I am.
    I lost my fiance back in the 1980's to a drunk driver, but you realise views are different until it affects you own life.
  • I'm constantly amazed by the younger people who think that drink driving is acceptable. I know there's an older generation who grew up with it and will probably never agree with all the 'fuss' that is made. But younger people have grown up in a society which (rightly) demonises drink drivers. They've never known a time when this was not the case but still they get behind the wheel having had a skin full. The mind boggles...
  • People around my age don't think it's acceptable well at least no one I know.