Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Down Turn Abbey

13»

Comments

• Options
    Remember him as a headmaster with Charles Hawtrey as a pupil. 'Oh , Mr. Teacher' perhaps.
  • Options
    i havent looked this up but i may have got it wrong ..think it was arthur askey in the ghost train and will haye in oh mr porter so my mistake and apologies for digressing 

but give me will hay(note correct spelling) anytime

how can you not admire will hay?!!  (who incidentally was also a celebrated astronomer)
  • Options
    Remember him as a headmaster with Charles Hawtrey as a pupil. 'Oh , Mr. Teacher' perhaps.

The Goose Steps Out or maybe The Ghost of St Michaels? Hawtrey was also in Where's That Fire? with Hay.

A very young Peter Ustinov also played a schoolboy in The Goose Steps Out.

• Options
    For me, Ask a Policeman was Hay's best film.
  • Options

The Goose Steps Out or maybe The Ghost of St Michaels? Hawtrey was also in Where's That Fire? with Hay.

A very young Peter Ustinov also played a schoolboy in The Goose Steps Out.

all great films i get great pleasure at the memory of laughing along to these,as a kid, with my now departed dad
  • Options

I thought that "Thomas" was injured fairly early in the war, if the wound stripe was not introduced until 1916, would he have recieved it retrospectively Addickted?
    Injured at The Somme P, in 1916, so would have had one - like my grandfather!
  • Options

Just to confirm,

The Military Service Act of 27 January 1916 ensured that every British male subject who on 15 August 1915 was ordinarily resident in Great Britain and who had attained the age of 19 but was not yet 41 was conscripted.

That of course includes Ireland at the time.

Thanks for this.
    I still dont understand why there was a move late in the war for conscription in Ireland, if as you say there was already conscription.I was almost certain there was no conscription in Ireland and having referenced that paragon of correctness this morning, Wiki, it seems to confirm this.
     It just doesnt make sense - am I missing something here?

As said by Henry, Floyd.

Born in Ireland living in Ireland - no conscription (though hundreds of thousands volunteered for the British Army)

Born in Ireland living in England/Scotland/Wales - conscription.

Bring it back now and Dale Farm would be a greenfield site quicker than any injunction!

• Options
    Cheers
    Remove your last sentence and it becomes clear.
    I live and learn.
    Why would the chauffeur (or any other non volunteer Irishman) have stayed in England, I wonder?
  • Options

Money.

The route of all evil.

• Options
    hmmm money vs almost certain death.

Another thing that ruined Downturn Abbey for me was the former footman who chirped in with ''I'm in the Army now''

Its almost as if he knew the Status Quo staple, or perhaps the earlier source of the haired ones hit, the South African born Dutch duo Rob and Ferdi Bolland who enjoyed success 5 years earlier in 1981.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey Floyd, does not take much to ruin a programme for you does it...
  • Options
    Blimey Floyd, does not take much to ruin a programme for you does it...
    Not knowing which is Ant and which is Dec is enough to ruin any programme they may be fronting.....!
  • Options
    I wondered why their shows were so annoying... :-)