Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CACT - Volunteering?

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
Lifers,

I was looking into doing some Voluntary work in my spare time and come across the CACT trust on the VInspired website. Surely helping out for CAFC would be the ultimate way to volunteer?! I enjoy working with others and want to gain some skills and experience which will help me get away from my 9-5 office job. I'm open to helping out in any way shape or form really.

Before using the 'contact us' section on the website I thought some lifers might be able to help or have any contacts to put me in touch with?

Comments

• Options
    Well done

Firstly CACT is not CAFC although there are links. You wouldn't be working at the ground or with players. More likely in a school or on a council estate.

You'll also need a CRB check but they can do it for you.

I know you say you want to help out in anyway but you might want to think about what you can offer them and whay skills you want to develop before contacting them. "Anything" is very vague and sounds like you haven't thought about it much.

Carl.krauhaus@cact.co.uk is a top bloke

Let us know how you get on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I do a fair amount of voluntary work but personally this isn't something I would choose. If you strip away your emotional links then you got to see that Charlton Athletic IS a business. I personally won't do voluntary work for a company that runs to make money, thus any work you do would be in effect free labour. I'd rather put my time into charity organisations that rely on volunteers. There are so many out there really in need of support.

Not sure about your local area, but where I live, there is a volunteer beurau which acts similar to a employment agency in finding suitable work to fit in around your spare time.

Not dissing anyone who decides to do it for the club, just thought I'd chuck in my usual two-pennies. ;-)

EDIT:  just read Henry's post that appeared whilst i was putting this up. Didn't realise it wasn't the club directly.
  • Options

Was just about to rip into you Tango, then I noticed your edit!! ;-)

Trust is completely separate from the Club and is  a "not for profit" organisation.

Have a look over at www.cact.org.uk and you will see why they are the biggest trust in the country and something we should all be extremely proud of. To think it all started with Jason Morgan and a bag of balls!

@HeavenSE7 - Good luck, I'm sure you will find it extremely rewarding.

• Options

they are the biggest trust in the country and something we should all be extremely proud of. To think it all started with Jason Morgan and a bag of balls!.

Never heard that about Jason and the bag of balls before : - )

And yes we should be proud as CL has contributed to the Trust via dinners, getting votes for the Upbeats and only last month donating some of the shirt sponsorship cash to the upbeats.

• Options
    Cheers guys for the replies.

I knew they weren't part of CAFC, but I guess they still carry the name of Charlton Athletic, it's something to be proud of as a supporter. Was trying keep an open mind with regards to what type of work I would do but I see what your saying Henry, thanks for the advice.

Thanks.
  • Options

I am sure The Trust would be thrilled at your offer to do some voluntary work and like myself who has recently had reason to learn more about them I think you will be amazed at the depth and breadth of work they do.

In addition and following up on tango's mistaken thoughts The Trust are actively looking at ways of ensuring The Club and its fans are aware of what sort of organisation they are, the fact it takes about £3m just to run and that there is no financial link between the club and The trust. Perhaps Charlton Life can help.

• Options
    I think this is a great idea and wonder whether there's any scope for attempting to organise other Lifers that would like to get involved... Comfort in numbers and all that.
  • Options
    Was it a weight loss or a giving up smoking course you did with the Trust Brunello? : - )

A work colleague spent a few days with the trust and told me how very impressed she was with the staff and what they do both in terms of quality and variety. She even mentioned Jason and his balls!

Would be good to have a "ten and half things every Charlton fan should know about the trust." list to inform fans.

Sure there are some other ideas but will whisper them.