Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can we get back on track ?

edited October 2011 in General Charlton

Look at the League table, and you would say we should beat Carlisle comfortably. Look a little deeper and you will see Home record 3-3-0 plays Away record 4-2-1, and you will notice that we have taken 5 points from our last 4 games.

What is needed ? In my view a whole new look at the way we line up, and particularly our tactical plan. I only saw Saturday's highlights, but they were dominated by Stevenage. They obviously had a plan which they executed very well, basically we did not. Warning bells should be sounding at the Valley, I seem to remember that we were leading the way at the start of last season before we dropped like a stone. We certainly have a very strong squad now, the spotlight for me is on the Coaching Team. Remember that if you keep doing what you have been doing, you will keep getting what you have been getting, and recently it won't be enough. Time for CP to show what we know to be his qualities, COYR.

Comments

• Options

I saw Carlisle play at Tranmere recently (don't ask). They won comfortably; had no problems with Tranmere's direct style, playing good attacking football.

In some ways, Carlisle's style should suit us. Having said that, why can't we put away teams like Tranmere/Stevenage?

Will be a close game. I still think the players have the character to get our season back on track. Still have a big question mark over tactical ability within the managment team.

• Options
    it all starts here:

• Options

I saw Carlisle play at Tranmere recently (don't ask). They won comfortably; had no problems with Tranmere's direct style, playing good attacking football.

In some ways, Carlisle's style should suit us. Having said that, why can't we put away teams like Tranmere/Stevenage?

Will be a close game. I still think the players have the character to get our season back on track. Still have a big question mark over tactical ability within the managment team.

+1
  • Options

Judging from Powells pre match comments & jiggling with the back four I would say we are worrying too much about our opponents rather than going out & playing our own game. Whether we have the best team or not I don't know but we certainly have very good players at this level & yet we set ourselves up to be negative in certain games. Afraid Green doesn't appear up to it (YET) for whatever reason & hayes isn't the goalscorer that we need alongside BWP but at the moment is a better option than Kermit. Our whole game plan seems to have switched from a passing game to a lump it to kermit whowins everything in the air but the ball drops harmlessly to no one! As for dropping Solly I think that that just serves to remind us that we have an inexperienced manager who isn't always sure of the right thing to do. Since the start of the season teams have targeted Solly as a weaklink & he has come through everything that has been thrown at him & then gets dropped ......somebody explain that to me please!  
  • Options
    the Highlights showed Stevenage's 4 out of 4 shot's while it only showed 1 out of our 11. so very biased. 
  • Options
    Perhaps 11 shots 0 goals might be relevant ?
  • Options

Hmmm, I don’t think Stevenage dominated us, we just didn’t dominate them. It was a poor game, they scored from an unbelievable deflection and we didn’t impose ourselves afterwards. If they hadn’t have got that first I’m convinced it would have ended 0-0 based on what happened in the rest of the game.

I don’t think we need “
    a whole new look at the way we line up” – we should just go back to the line up we had at the start of the season. The biggest difference has been Stephens and (to a lesser extent) Hollands inability recently to put their stamp on the game in the way they had been. There are probably a couple of reasons for this, but one of them in my opinion is that introducing Green and Kermagont into the side has seen us bypass the middle of the midfield as we launch it forward to Kerm or try to find Green out wide so he can cross to Kerm. Hayes and Waggy back in the side should clear this up and then we can go back to the drawing board and devise a style that will suit including Kerm and Green if/when we bring them back in. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Options

I was at the game and can not remember 11 shots - either on or off target !!

I think it was more like 4 or 5 at most.

• Options
    there were quite a lot ( I think headers also count as shots). I can think quite a few without tryin too hard.  although not many of them were very good
  • Options
    Scratching sound as many CL members write season off after a loss and a draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree one of the biggest differences between now and the start if the season is Dale Stephens impact. I know there was something about Powell telling Hollands to get forward more. Perhaps on Saturday Hollands needs to sit and do the dirty work and allow Stephens to play his game again
  • Options

Judging from Powells pre match comments & jiggling with the back four I would say we are worrying too much about our opponents rather than going out & playing our own game. Whether we have the best team or not I don't know but we certainly have very good players at this level & yet we set ourselves up to be negative in certain games. Afraid Green doesn't appear up to it (YET) for whatever reason & hayes isn't the goalscorer that we need alongside BWP but at the moment is a better option than Kermit. Our whole game plan seems to have switched from a passing game to a lump it to kermit whowins everything in the air but the ball drops harmlessly to no one! As for dropping Solly I think that that just serves to remind us that we have an inexperienced manager who isn't always sure of the right thing to do. Since the start of the season teams have targeted Solly as a weaklink & he has come through everything that has been thrown at him & then gets dropped ......somebody explain that to me please!  
    Totally agree, and would add that playing a Centre Back at Right Back was counter productive. It didn't take long for Stevenage to play diagonal balls in behind Morrison, which dragged Taylor wide to cover. Morrison also lacked the pace to get up the right flank in support of Green and we lacked pace and width on that side. As a result, the team became unbalanced and the pattern of play became disjointed.

I'm hoping for a return to 11 players playing in their normal positions, that fit together in a pattern of play with pace and width. The worry is that the coaching team can come up with such a poor game plan at Stevenage, they can do it again. Fingers crossed we can get back to playing the football of the opening 11 games, although it's not always as easy as flicking a switch. Carlisle will have covered the last 2 games, and if they are sensible will replicate the game plans of Tranmere & Stevenage.

• Options
    still dont know why people are treating it like the end of the world...
  • Options
    still dont know why people are treating it like the end of the world...

Don't believe they are, Matt but a win on Saturday is a must in my book, to set those butterflies free again.

Away points are a definite bonus but we really should be bossing matches at The Valley if we want to keep on track for promotion.

I realise that the squad as a whole is very important and that SCP needs ready, willing & able players to step in when injuries/suspensions occur ...

But from what I've read here, it appears that we all know the best possible starting eleven ....and so does he.

I'd bet we'll  see a return for Solly, Hayes and Waggy  and another well deserved 3 points in the bag by 5pm on Saturday evening.

In SCP we trust !

• Options
    If we lose its 2 losses in 13, thats not bad at all. Anyone saying its 2 in 2 as well is right obviously but thats just form, and form is always going to change.
    If we lose we will be at maximum 2 points behind #1. Only takes one game and we could be ahead again.
    Expectations of fans has probably gone up a bit as well after such a good start. I reckon before the season most would be very happy with 2nd/3rd after 13 games let alone 1st.

There is still over 30 games to go and overall things are looking very very positive so far.
  • Options
    Our start has been no accident. Lots of goals in the side and more than capable defnders for this division. Confident we'll get back on track. 
  • Options
    No. We're doomed.
  • Options
    Our start has been no accident. Lots of goals in the side and more than capable defnders for this division. Confident we'll get back on track. 
    bit worrying about the lack of goals in the last 3 games (incl Brentford JPT). Need players like Stephens to start chipping in with goals again.
  • Options
    We must have scored against brentford ? Who played up front ?