Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth vs Southampton - "Coach Bubble"

The BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-15351491 is saying that Southampton fans will only be able to attend this match if they buy a combined coach/match ticket and they'll be herded (kettled?) into a secure area in Portsmouth.  The arrangements are to be repeated for the return fixture.

I guess it would otherwise be likely to kick off at this match but I can't quite see driving from Essex to Charlton to get a coach back to West Ham.  Let's hope the plod don't think this sort of arrangement should become more common.  I've no idea quite what they mean by "Coach Bubble"  - any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Think blackburn and burnley did the same when they met in the premiership.
  • Options
    Those wanting a barney won't nesecarly be going to the match
  • Options

They've done it with Cardiff & Swansea before as well. They had an article in one of the papers, ahead of the game in Swansea, about a Cardiff fan who lived in Swansea and had to drive to Cardiff to get the coach to take him back to Swansea, and vice versa afterwards.

Chances of our supporters ever being subject to this is zero, and even less than that for a game against West Ham.

• Options
    And Swansea v Bristol. I have a mate who went to Bristol Uni who is a Swansea ST holder who had to go back to Swansea to get a coach to Bristol for the game, then after the game a coach back to Swansea and then travel from Swansea back to Bristol. Think this was an evening game too. Grim.
  • Options

And Swansea v Bristol. I have a mate who went to Bristol Uni who is a Swansea ST holder who had to go back to Swansea to get a coach to Bristol for the game, then after the game a coach back to Swansea and then travel from Swansea back to Bristol. Think this was an evening game too. Grim.
    Suzi why did he get the coach back as well ? Was he forced to get on, couldn't he have just "drifted" off & gone home ?
  • Options

Suzi why did he get the coach back as well ? Was he forced to get on, couldn't he have just "drifted" off & gone home ?
    Isn't the whole point of these things to stop people drifting off?
  • Options
    He might have driven back to Bristol so he would have needed to go back to collect his car?
  • Options

He might have driven back to Bristol so he would have needed to go back to collect his car?
    Thank you Columbo.
  • Options

Thank you Columbo.
    My pleasure son, any time.
  • Options

FOD "these people" are mainly ordinary fans.

There was a fair amount of trouble at St Marys last season, not sure in Pompey so I suppose the police have the powers so there using them.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

FOD "these people" are mainly ordinary fans.

There was a fair amount of trouble at St Marys last season, not sure in Pompey so I suppose the police have the powers so there using them.

You seem to have got me confused with either someone who supports these actions or has never been to a football game.

I know what Southampton's away support is like.
  • Options

Sorry FOD you've lost me.

• Options

Re the Swansea/Cardiff  posts above..........

I can understand why clubs/the police do this, but surely it is against your human rights ??

If you are a law abiding citizen who has never been in trouble with the police and have no criminal record, then why should you have to be inconvenienced like this ?  For the chap who lives in Swansea & has to go to Cardiff to get a bus back is just laughable.

it only happens in football.

• Options

Well at Swansea a couple of years ago, Charlton fans were attacked upon arrival at the station, so when we arrived on the next train we were taken into the nearest pub/hotel bar & kept there for our own safety. There were groups of Swansea gathering who wanted trouble, but were continually moved on by the police.

We were taken to and from the ground in a police coach, down a private road that was "gated" at each end.

The Welsh still live in the football 70's & Soton at times aren't far behind. (Remember they trashed The Lib a few years ago).

Seems like a necessary, but good idea to me. A bit like making Millwall fans collect Leeds A match tickets on a service station.

• Options

This has been happening for years now for lots of different fixtures that have previous.
    Slowly kills off the atmophere at these games as most lads can't be arsed with the bubble trips these days.

• Options

Well at Swansea a couple of years ago, Charlton fans were attacked upon arrival at the station, so when we arrived on the next train we were taken into the nearest pub/hotel bar & kept there for our own safety. There were groups of Swansea gathering who wanted trouble, but were continually moved on by the police.

We were taken to and from the ground in a police coach, down a private road that was "gated" at each end.

The Welsh still live in the football 70's & Soton at times aren't far behind. (Remember they trashed The Lib a few years ago).

Seems like a necessary, but good idea to me. A bit like making Millwall fans collect Leeds A match tickets on a service station.

From what I seen at Swansea, We were hardly 'attacked'.

A couple of things thrown but most didn't want to know because the cctv.

• Options
    Well this has been going on for some number of years in Holland for top division games only.Police have also diverted coaches on motorways so fans of other clubs do not pass oneanother on the same motorway.Before you say it ,no football coaches can stop on the motorway service stations.Gave up following Zwolle due to this and now have freedom of movement with a small 2nd division club be it on Friday nights COME ON TELSTAR........
  • Options

Isn't the whole point of these things to stop people drifting off?
    Well yes that is the point but it doesn't mean you have to meekly do as you're told without at least trying ! 
  • Options

I can understand why clubs/the police do this, but surely it is against your human rights ??

Not defending it, but going to football is not one of your human rights.  If you want to purchase a ticket, you have to accept the conditions of sale.

It still seems a bit over the top, mind.