Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Article about BWP - "it’s a big club, a great club"

There's a nice article about BWP on the Mail Online (boo!).

Some choice snippets:

NOT only has Bradley Wright-Phillips got one of the best young bosses to guide him this season, his backroom staff also includes a former England striker and Premier League winger.‘My dad (Ian Wright) and (half-brother) Shaun are like my manager and assistant’, jokes the Charlton forward. ‘ I can get advice from both on anything. Football, life, it’s great.’...The Lewisham-born forward is clearly impressed by his boss. ‘He’s easy to talk to as a manager you know. When I’ve played under some managers I’ve felt like I can’t talk to them or I feel like I can’t express myself on the pitch and I don’t think any player in our squad is nervous, you don’t think "if I don’t play well I won’t be playing next game". For me that’s what I like about him, he’s got a very relaxed aura and that goes through to the players.’
The striker says it would really ‘hurt’ the side if they fail to go up as they know they are capable of it. The rise to the Championship is his aim ‘for now’ but it would also mean taking another step closer to his ultimate goal which is a return to the Premier League. He has already had a taste of the top flight with Manchester City five years ago but was only able to score a couple of times over two seasons.If there is unfinished business, Wright-Phillips doesn’t allude to it. But whereas at City he was on the fringes of the first team, he is grateful for a long run in the side at Charlton and previous club Plymouth, where he has come through injury problems with his knee. ‘The last season and a half I have started the majority of games so it helps you get into a rhythm and get used to playing games every weekend. You do find it easier,’ he adds.In fact he could have been back in the Premier League in January, when Blackpool’s manager Ian Holloway was interested in snapping him up after a run of 13 goals in 17 League games for Plymouth. But it was not to be and Wright-Phillips thinks it may have worked out for the best. ‘I don’t regret it. I spoke to Holloway and he’s a legend of a man. But the time wasn’t right. It just didn’t really work out.'But I ended up back at Charlton, I’m back home, it’s a big club, a great club so I kind of landed on my feet. It was a good opportunity to go to the Premier League, a great opportunity, but obviously it didn’t work out for a few reasons.’

Comments

• Options
    You can see where he wants to be and where he would rather be and I don't blame him. It sounds like he knows that he isn't quite good enough for the PL just yet and I think Charlton will be good for all parties involved with BWP. Hopefully he can get us out of here before I goes anywhere. 
  • Options
    Good interview.

Encouraging signs that BWP will sign a contract extension. :)
  • Options
    Sounds more like he was offered a pay when play related deal or they weren't offering 'prem' standard wages, which they weren't. A good deal for us but i can't see him being here next year if we don't go up.