Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leon Cort - Would You Start Him?

Yes or no , and your reason, i'm of the 'no' persuasion as i think he wins a lot a in the air , but it just hands possession back to the opposition, i'm half convinced Chris Powell will start him on Saturday as he didn't do too much wrong v Stevenage.

Comments

• Options
    Nope - why change what was a working formula
  • Options
    No because it means dropping a defender and all 4 have been good this season. He certainly is a good replacement if we get an injury . I didnt realise how huge the man was till I saw him at Stevenage . He must be 6"4 at least .
  • Options
    no, Solly to return to team and Cort to the bench. Waggy and Hayes to return too.
  • Options
    I think it's pretty clear that Cort is the third choice centre back and, whilst Powell rates him, he realises it was a mistake to drop Solly last Satuday.
  • Options
    Wouldn't start him. Looks a really good player, but so do the rest of the back four. They were there first and have earned the right to retain their places - he'll have to wait til someone gets injured, suspended or suffers a dip in form and then make sure he performs at a level that keeps him there.
  • Options
    I think it's pretty clear that Cort is the third choice centre back and, whilst Powell rates him, he realises it was a mistake to drop Solly last Satuday.
    But does he ?
  • Options
    Wouldn't start him. Looks a really good player, but so do the rest of the back four. They were there first and have earned the right to retain their places - he'll have to wait til someone gets injured, suspended or suffers a dip in form and then make sure he performs at a level that keeps him there.

After a bit of a shaky start imo the back four have been developing into a tight unit, until last week. I still don't understand why we are changing our team to "cope" (well that didn't work then) with the likes of Stevenage.

Lets hope Chris Powell is big enough to recognise his mistake.   

• Options
    But does he ?
    You talking about Solly? Yeah Powell's post-match comments basically said that, although his reasons for dropping him were legit, it was a mistake and I guarentee Solly will start on Saturday.
  • Options

Had Corts terrific header gone in on Saturday some folks opinions re not starting him might well be different....such is the difference between a fantastic save and a goal which makes you a hero.

He's not a bad player you know.

• Options
    I rate Cort, I really rate him. He could easily play for a Championship club. Actually, I think he's probably better than Taylor. But I wouldn't start him for us. Morrison and Taylor have formed a partnership, a very good one at this level, and they could be our centre back pairing for the next 2-3 years easily. So many people underestimate the importance of creating partnerships (something this season we've done VERY well). I think Cort would start in every League One team, but us. Maybe if he was signed permanently Powell would be tempted to try out Morrison and Cort, but given the fact that Cort's only on loan and he's not that young Powell is making the right choice by starting Morrison and Taylor as they could be our first choice pairing for several years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Had Corts terrific header gone in on Saturday some folks opinions re not starting him might well be different....such is the difference between a fantastic save and a goal which makes you a hero.

Not for one moment doubting that he's a good player certainly at this level just doubting the wisdom of breaking up a back four that was looking better every game. If Powell thinks that he should be playing then drop a Centre back don't shift one sideways & drop a player who has been fantastic for us so far this season in his position.

CharltonFan, I didn't hear that interview hope you're right !

• Options
    Yes or no , and your reason, i'm of the 'no' persuasion as i think he wins a lot a in the air , but it just hands possession back to the opposition, i'm half convinced Chris Powell will start him on Saturday as he didn't do too much wrong v Stevenage.

I wouldn't start him, our regular back four is plenty good enough Morrison & Taylor have got a very good understanding, dropping Solly last week was comlete madness.
  • Options
    Nope - Looks like a Basketball Player.

Perhaps I still have the Todorov goal at Smellhurst in my head. Hudson and Cort were the Centre Backs caught dozing when he nipped in behind them and Todorov wasn't the quickest.

Cort needs to convince me he is mobile and sharp enough. He is obviously strong in the air, but what about when isolated on the ground?

I like Morrison. Not the most talented, but strong and committed and reads the game well. He was excellent at Bramall Lane when we were under pressure. Taylor has been solid. Both get in blocks and put their bodies in the way to stop shots, as well as win headers.
  • Options

This.

+1

Any other condescending support of the original poster.

Best save I've seen this season.
  • Options
    Thought this was 'Leon Cort - Would Ya?' thread at first glance.

• Options
    edited October 2011
  • Options
    Agree with the comments regarding Taylor-Morrison pairing - we have two quick full-backs in Solly and Wiggins and I would like to see, in tough away games, a 5-3-2 format with Cort in middle with Taylor and Morrison and Wiggins and Solly pushing up when attacking and defending higher up the pitch... so in a flash we could go from three to five in the midfield attacking...
  • Options
    Nope. Don't mess around with the players, they lose their place on suspension or injury. And no messing around with the formation either. Bugger 'tough away games' or how the other team plays, it's irrelevant. What matters is getting our team playing our style to the best of our ability- with the team on song, we are better than 90% of this league. We should act and play that way.
  • Options
    At some point in the season, were a going to have to start him.  We aren't going to get through another 30+ matches with none of the back four getting injured or suspended.  For the moment though, I'd like to keep with the four that have done so well from the start.  I can see why it would be tempting to give him some games to keep him match fit, though.  
  • Options
    I think he did enough to earn a start, but Taylor and Morrison don't deserve to be dropped! I'll have him on the bench.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was coming in to say this (and grumble about the Palace keeper).  Thought he was our best player.  That said I'd probably not change the winning team, but I suspect that he may be our best centre back. 
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    Again, delighted that we have options.  He's a very good player for this league and when one of our 2 CB get suspended/injured I think they may struggle to get back in the team.

Anyone else feel a win this Saturday?
  • Options

nope but get the impression by the soundbytes coming out of Powell he will remain in the back four.

If he is to remain it must be instead of either morrison or taylor not solly, personally I understand why he did change the back four just think thats counter productive as we lost the attacking nous that solly offers, and we all know the best form of defense is attack and the opposition can't score if the ball stays in their half (well not now Elliots gone.....Hamer doesn't look too suspect on long range efforts)

• Options
    edited October 2011

Perhaps I still have the Todorov goal at Smellhurst in my head. Hudson and Cort were the Centre Backs caught dozing when he nipped in behind them and Todorov wasn't the quickest.

Cort needs to convince me he is mobile and sharp enough. He is obviously strong in the air, but what about when isolated on the ground?

I was one of the few on here who liked the Doherty but had to concede that the Doc is severely limited on the ground . As others have pointed out only two years ago he was voted by his fellow professionals in the PFA League One team of the season and finished third in Norwich's player of the year vote.

Since the incident Tutt Tutt refers to Cort has played in the Prem and I thought he was excellant in the air on Saturday and adequate on the ground at this level I think he is worth a punt but maybe not tomorrow.

• Options
    I wouldn't start on him - not in my nature. Anyway, he's a big lad and looks like he can handle himself.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    At some point in the season, were a going to have to start him.  We aren't going to get through another 30+ matches with none of the back four getting injured or suspended.  For the moment though, I'd like to keep with the four that have done so well from the start.  I can see why it would be tempting to give him some games to keep him match fit, though.  
    This, (as they say on Charlton Life).

So why did Cort start v Stevenage?  IMO nothing particularly to do with Solly.

Trying to get inside Powelly's head, I would be reasoning .......I need to keep key non-playing squad players sharp and keen.

I need Cort to start to get a good look at him,  to see if he can fit seamlessly into the back 4;  and the player himself needs to start because he's been here 6 weeks, and he's been chomping at the bit with a perfect attitude.

What better time than when we have a points cushion, and with a couple of games under his belt and a bit of match fitness coming along, as the player comes back on a high having made a winning international debut?

So now I'll come out from inside Mr Powell's head ........ and say if I myself was the manager, I wouldn't have made the change.
    But, if that was the manager's reasoning, then maybe there would be some threads of thought something along those lines. Perhaps.

;o)

• Options
    Glad Powelly took my advice ;-0
  • Options
    no
  • Options
    would have been nice to give him 15 - 20 minutes today but I think our back 4 plus Hamer needed that clean sheet