Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grayson firm over Paynter loan

edited October 2011 in General Charlton

Could it be us??

He would be a great addition to the squad.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11715_7253228,00.html

Delete if posted elsewhere

Comments

• Options
    Would be a great signing if it happened and he regained his form.
  • Options
    Agreed, though I think you can have too many strikers.
  • Options
    get him as he will do a good job in league 1.
  • Options
    or how about a straight swap for Benson even though I doubt that'll happen. 
  • Options
    I remember thinking he was utterly useless in the 2-2 league draw with Swindle then all of a sudden he started scoring

• Options
    Mendonca moment!!
  • Options
    Don't think we need him.  We can only play 11 men and there's a point at which adding to the squad has to stop.  All of these guys are picking up a salary.
  • Options
    He's a very good player at this level. BWP, Hayes, Kermorgant and Paynter = hello promotion.
  • Options
    Not for me thanks, Charlie Austin was the one to pick out of that pair.
  • Options
    Charlie Austin is a star and will be a regular in the Premiership, but Paynter is good at this level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hopefully we don't start going down the short term loan route other than emergency cover
  • Options
      All of these guys are picking up a salary.
    Really? And there was me thinking they were playing out of love for the club............................;-)
  • Options
    Don't think it would be us now we signed Kermy

More likely Sheff Utd/Wed would be my guess
  • Options
    lets back pardew back as manager too

a definite No from me
  • Options
    more likely he will go to one of the Yorky clubs.
  • Options
    Think he will link back up with danny wilson so my money is on sheff utd
  • Options
    Agreed, though I think you can have too many strikers.
    Yes but what if he could actualy score on a regular basis ? A bit off the wall I know but it may help ?
  • Options
    edited October 2011

That's exactly what I thought when we signed Benson, Jon Nurse was the striker to sign.

I'd take Paynter all day, Can't have enough strikers imo.

He has played for Swindon & Southend so he's not worried about playing down South.

• Options
    His nick name amongst some of my leeds supporting colleagues is "barn door billy" because he can't hit one. The supporters in the Don Revies Stand  behind the goal at  Elland road apparently have their faior share of bruises because he can hoof it but style and accuracy are not thought to be his strong points. If we signed him even as a loan I beieve he would have a negative impact on the squad. I agree you can't have to many strikers but my Leeds colleagues suggest he wouldn't qualify as one!
  • Options
    His nick name amongst some of my leeds supporting colleagues is "barn door billy" because he can't hit one. The supporters in the Don Revies Stand  behind the goal at  Elland road apparently have their faior share of bruises because he can hoof it but style and accuracy are not thought to be his strong points. If we signed him even as a loan I beieve he would have a negative impact on the squad. I agree you can't have to many strikers but my Leeds colleagues suggest he wouldn't qualify as one!
    29 goals in 52 games in 09/10 (last injury free season) would suggest there is a decent league one striker sitting in the stands at Leeds. Worth a loan if we shift Benson out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From the tone of the article it looks like a short term loan deal to get him match fit. I don't think that would be of much benefit to us, especially, as has been said elsewhere, we have only just bought in Kermet and Hayes has done a fine job for the first ten games. I'm not sure we need him for the next two months. If it was a season long loan, or if we had one of our strikers injured then maybe, but not as things stand.
  • Options
    "29 goals in 52 games in 09/10 (last injury free season) would suggest
    there is a decent league one striker sitting in the stands at Leeds.
    Worth a loan if we shift Benson out."

That was two seasons ago at Swindon when he partnered Charlie Austin who fed him goals.  He hasn't been scoring freely since and has put on  some weight. If we get him fit  and scoring on loan to us he will dissappear up the M1 to leeds faster than a rat down a drainhole, if we don't we are wasting our training staff time. Let him get fit at Leeds and see if anyone wants him if he starts scoring again. We are not a charity for failing strikers
    Last season 23 appearances 1 goal.
  • Options
    "29 goals in 52 games in 09/10 (last injury free season) would suggest there is a decent league one striker sitting in the stands at Leeds. Worth a loan if we shift Benson out."

That was two seasons ago at Swindon when he partnered Charlie Austin who fed him goals.  He hasn't been scoring freely since and has put on  some weight. If we get him fit  and scoring on loan to us he will dissappear up the M1 to leeds faster than a rat down a drainhole, if we don't we are wasting our training staff time. Let him get fit at Leeds and see if anyone wants him if he starts scoring again. We are not a charity for failing strikers
    Last season 23 appearances 1 goal.
    Shades of Barry Endean. I think he was 1 in 27.
  • Options
    I really was never impressed with Paynter.  Look at his record and you'll see the 2009/10 season is his only really good one for return re goals.  The only aspect of his game that was impressive, was that he can win virtually every header and drop deep to just in front of the midfield again winning all headers from shit balls.  This will leave BWP isolated, but possibly beef up the midfield and allow them to break for BWP.

It's complete bollox to say Austin setup his goals.  Paynter made huge amounts off space for Austin, they broke well that season, and Austin could outpace players across the back four.  That season Austin had hardly any assists, it was all JP Mcgovern, and Paynter linked the play.  JPM would have been a player I'd have happily seen at Charlton.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Hey, Len ....... these days I think only you and me know who Barry Endean was!

Kidding of course - cue thousands of ancient angry Lifers who will say, "I saw Endean score".
  • Options
    I thought they might name the North stand 'The Endean End' Oggy as that's where he scored his goal.
  • Options
    I thought they might name the North stand 'The Endean End' Oggy as that's where he scored his goal.
    So you were there too, Terry?

That's 3 of us now and growing, in our very own new clique ......."The Endean is Nigh". Or it was back then.

• Options

Didn't we get him on the basis of having scored over 20 goals for Watford the season before?????

• Options

Didn't we get him on the basis of having scored over 20 goals for Watford the season before?????

Yes!

La La La Barry Endean (tune Ride a White Swan - T Rex)
  • Options
    Right now, it feels like we don't need him. But if any of Hayes Kermit or BWP got injured, we'd all be screaming for him I think.