Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

To any Carlisle fans stopping by to read.

edited October 2011 in General Charlton

This won't be much consolation to those of you who slapped the 300 odd miles to watch your team lose so heavily.

However I'd like to say that your team came to play football and actually contributed in no small way to what was an enjoyable match.

We've come up against two very boring dour sides in the last couple of weeks whose very negative tactics led to two instantly forgettable games.........not that I'm making excuses for us not having overcome Tranmere and Stevenage's negativity.

Thought your guy was a bit unlucky to get sent off as neither tackle was in any way malicious.

You'll play a lot worse than that now and again and come away with something for your efforts.....quite simply we were back on form today.

Comments

• Options
    Well said.....although the left back (Robson) was daft to make that trip on BWP for his 2nd yellow, ref had little choice really. 1st yellow could've been a red from some refs.
  • Options
    Thought the fella was a bit unlucky with the second yellow, but the first one was reckless and fully deserved.

However, the fella at the end should've got a straight red. Launched himself in with intent to injure and only the fact that our player (Kermit?) saw it coming meant he could get out the way.
  • Options

We've come up against two very boring dour sides in the last couple of weeks whose very negative tactics led to two instantly forgettable games.........not that I'm making excuses for us not having overcome Tranmere and Stevenage's negativity.

We need to take apart / beat teams like Stevenage and Tranmere that play negative football. When I see that we have done that, it will be a good sign that we can get promoted.
  • Options
    Isn't being top of the league at this stage of the season and with only one defeat a good sign that we can get promoted then vff?
  • Options
    Of course its a good sign being top of the league, but i can see what vff is saying if we can't figure out a way to get points off the 'anti-football' teams then its gonna be a mission. Im fully confident we will though.
  • Options
    and more of them made the trip to Charlton (538) than Millwall did to Leicester (501)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I said the same in my player marks - the game is called football - we will rightly criticise ourselves for not putting the negative dark sides to the sword- you can say that they have to try to make the game a non football event to stand any chance in their defence- but teams like Carlisle are far more deserving of praise and respect and I'm sure they will tonk Stevnaage and Carlisle when they play them.
  • Options
    I can't wait to see Carlisle vs Carlisle...
  • Options
    ok, Stevenage and Tranmere then :)
  • Options
    Sorry Muttsey, I know it's annoying when people pick holes in posts without adding anything to the conversation.

I wasn't there today, but this thread sounds like it's proving what I said a few days ago about Charlton being set up to win against the better teams, while less able teams will continue to take points from us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Isn't that always the way though?

So called "lesser" teams will always try to play to whatever strengths they have. The better teams wont always be able to counter that - just look at the jobs we used to do on Arsenal!
  • Options
    Have to say their No. 9 (Loy ?) looked a class player.
  • Options
    Agreed
  • Options
    Can I just add what great fans Carlisle have. Went a bit quiet after the goals, which is understandable, but they recovered quickly and were singing throughout. Hats off to them.
  • Options
    Agreed

Agreed agreed, said to the lads today what a good player he was.We have showed we watch players in this league and sign them. I hope we keep a eye on him, if this is the norm for him, go and get him, class act.

Sound as spot on they came to play football. By the way you looked very dapper today in the tweed coat and leather gloves.

• Options
    Loy did look decent and their two centre mids looked good
  • Options
    Yeah, fair play to their fans, a good effort from them
  • Options
    Their right back was quality as well , his only real muck up was our second (?) goal. He was quick and put a few good balls in the box
  • Options
    You can't blame other clubs for playing an anti football game against us- especially if it gets them a result. The onus is on us to ensure the tactic doesn't work. But whilst Stevenage got 3 important points last week, it is wrong to give them more credit than a Carlisle team who tried to play football the right way but got well beaten. The Stevenage manager would say he would rather have the points anyway, fair enough, but they are my local team and I was thinking about going to watch them when we are away but have decided I don't really fancy it much now. They are not for me a football side- that is how I like to watch football. Carlisle, definitely are.
  • Options
    You can't blame other clubs for playing an anti football game against us- especially if it gets them a result. The onus is on us to ensure the tactic doesn't work. But whilst Stevenage got 3 important points last week, it is wrong to give them more credit than a Carlisle team who tried to play football the right way but got well beaten. The Stevenage manager would say he would rather have the points anyway, fair enough, but they are my local team and I was thinking about going to watch them when we are away but have decided I don't really fancy it much now. They are not for me a football side- that is how I like to watch football. Carlisle, definitely are.
    I don't think Stevenage played much anti football against us last week ( apart from the time wasting at the end) its just that we picked the wrong formation and didn't turn up on the day .
    Now Tranmere - they stink the place out with anti football .

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Funny how some clubs show certain inherited characteristics down the years, for example Sheff Utd are always tough and physical, Tranmere overdo the timewasting and Carlise always try and knock it about a bit. We just need to switch the away game to the last saturday of the season to seal things properly.
  • Options
    Apart from the time wasting? It was pushing the envelope - they also physically pushed the boundaries I thought but were lucky they had a sympathetic ref but you do get more of these at this level. Sorry but that is anti football in my eyes-i.e. focus on stopping opponents rather than imposing your game on them.
  • Options
    Apart from the time wasting? It was pushing the envelope - they also physically pushed the boundaries I thought but were lucky they had a sympathetic ref but you do get more of these at this level. Sorry but that is anti football in my eyes-i.e. focus on stopping opponents rather than imposing your game on them.<

You forgot about when John Aldridge played for them. - an annoying character who claimed goals he never got near.
  • Options
    The Carlisle Centre Half made a terrific save from Wiggins in the second half. Perhaps he should have played in goal.
  • Options
    Their right back was quality as well , his only real muck up was our second (?) goal. He was quick and put a few good balls in the box
    I liked him too. Very pacy. Read a forum and their fans really dislike him. I thought he was decent

Loy was decent too but needs to get his head up a bit more

• Options
    I liked him too. Very pacy. Read a forum and their fans really dislike him. I thought he was decent

Loy was decent too but needs to get his head up a bit more

yeah, hes on loan from newcastle. by his attributes i think he would be a decent right winger.
  • Options
    I thought the keeper was stand out for them impressive
  • Options
    I thought the keeper was stand out for them impressive
    And their full backs!