Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is 4 Nil The Benchmark to get to Again?

For me that was the peak performance this season , i would love it for this to become the norm rather than a once a year celebration like a Birthday , whilst it was much needed after Stevenage and Tranmere , i appreciate we can't tonk every team and injuries , suspensions , loss of form and poor ref decisions play a huge part.

When you find a good restaurant you want to go back , and back , now we know the players can produce a performance like that , surely that is the aim , i want us to be a rip roaring free scoring team a la Southampton , (maybe not a Peterborough as i don't think the heart could take it).

This is an evolving team for sure , hard working for each other , pretty solid and hard to beat , long may it continue , obviously i'd be happy with a 3 nil , or even a 1 nil! in a tight tense game am  i asking for too much?

Thought the Charlton crowd were excellent yesterday by the way , singing from the 1st minute , well done lads , keep it up!! 

Comments

• Options
    Unrealistic to expect it to become the norm but it's something we must aspire to every match. It's when that aspiration is missing that things will start to go wrong.
  • Options
    I don't get to see many games. First and foremost, it was an excellent performance with everyone playing a part. However, it was also one of those games where things went right on the day - the second gifted (yet well taken) goal, the harsh sending off, the fourth goal, a missed penalty (even if it was harsh) etc. Games can change - how would it have been if Carlisle had scored a wickedly deflected or lucky goal in the first ten minutes? A different game, I suspect.

I don't think 4-0 will become the norm or the benchmark, but playing together as a team (as we did for 90 mins yesterday) will ensure we get as many points as we can reasonably expect.
  • Options

Good question Mendonca and although winning 4-0 every week may not be a benchmark we can hit every game what I would like to see every match from now on is the commitment the team showed to get to the byline thereby stretching their defence and to also have shots......we have been on the end of 2 deflected goals in the last couple of weeks and yesterday shows what happens if you do try your luck from 25 yards.

Also I don't think the sending off was harsh - the player committed 2 fouls which were yellow card offences - for the second he blatently tripped BWP when robbed of the ball.

Don't forget we were robbed of a blatant penalty and the ref missed a couple of other challenges on our players that could have been yellow cards (not sure if the oppo players were on yellows already) but on another day the result could have been even better !

• Options
    I think  the benchmark should be 2 points per game on average.  If you do that then what the score is really doesn't matter.

Setting the benchmark at a 4 - 0 win is just putting unrealistic expectations, and so pressure, on the team.  Also as fans we're going to be disappointed more often than not.

I mean, do City expect to win every game 6 - 1 now?
  • Options
    yes, I think we could have got a few more yesterday if we wanted to but this teams priority is to win the game - the scoreline doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. As long as we win then I don't really give a monkeys about the score or the performance - just want to get out of this bloody division before we end up playing the likes of Crawley an AFC Wimbledon in a league match - and probably getting turned over!

• Options
    Not having been at the game and hearing they were a player down and 4-0 down after 48 minutes, I was cursing that the only game at home I have missed in a year was going to end 6 or 7 nil, so what happened?  Not being negative, greedy maybe but why did we not go on to score more, do we lack the killer instinct or was it just one of those things?
  • Options
    Kap10....Carlisle were much better organised in the 2nd half and you wouldn't really have thought they only had 10 men. Plus we definitely took our foot off the pedal and the game got quite scrappy in the last 10-15 mins just when you thought we could've got more goals. None of our subs could really make an impact but that's not to criticise the performance as a whole, which was excellent....although Carlisle sat far too deep and asked for trouble. I suspect there will be occasions later in the season when we do finish games very strongly.....this team is hungry.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    We had some chances to increase the let. Overhead kick (i think) from BWP went just over down the south end and he nearly connected again from a cross in the second half. Wiggins made some quality runs down the left got the ball in once or twice but bit to heavy.

think we had a penalty claim as well? My memory is terrible, cant even remember last night.

Took our foot off near the end as well.
    And then Hayes came on.
  • Options

I'm just glad that we have  side  that will rip apart a team who are frail defensively, in previous years we probably wouldnt have taken the chances we were given yesterday and would have been punished for it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We settled for the 4-0 - I was happy with that
  • Options
    I thought we were fine second half. I agree with Simonsen that Carlisle were quite well organised in the second half, but we never needed to go flat out - we have another game on Tuesday. It meant that we could take off Hollands and Wright-Philips and still cruise home.