Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

LUKE DONALD

Just thought I would highlight the achievement of Luke Donald yesterday in the final tournament on the PGA season. Although many lifers are probably not interested in golf, we should all be able to recognise the focus and dedication to complete what he set out to do.

Luke Donald is the number one golfer in the world. He is also leading moneywinner on the European Tour. His lead at the top of the PGA moneywinners was taken last week by a young American golfer, Webb Simpson. Luke decided to enter the final event at the last minute, in an attempt to win back the title of PGA top moneywinner knowing he may have to win the event in order to achieve it. Nobody has ever held the title on both the European and PGA tours at the same time before, not even Tiger Woods, remember him?

Luke Donald was partnered with Webb Simpson on all 4 days of the tournament and struggled to keep close to his main rival for the first 3, but Luke dug in and managed to find his game and won the tournament by 2 shots. You don't have to be a golfer to acknowledge the single-minded attitude and 100% of the man.

Being a top sportsman in any sport requires a strong mental attitude. Let's hope our boys can remain focussed on the target ahead for the rest of the season.

Comments

• Echo all over that del roofer. Watched it last night and it highlighted his mental strength as well as exceptional talent. He only decided to play the week before.
  • edited October 2011
    Awesome golfer. Not ridiculously long off the tee, not a freak physical specimen - just very, very, very good at all aspects of the game. His iron and wedge play is phenomenal. Thoroughly nice chap to boot. I might also add here that Sergio Garcia was outstanding this past week - winning by an incredible NINE strokes. Be brilliant to see Sergio at last fulfil some potential - and if they can both carry their form into next year and win a major, what an awesome time it would be for European golf.
  • Agree with you about Sergio Garcia Leroy. There's nowhere to hide in golf. You stand or fall by your own acheivements and efforts, and no teammates or officials to blame when things go wrong. It is all about trying to make things happen, rather than waiting for them to occur on their own. Mental toughness is the name of the game.
  • Donald's final round was quality, had 6 birdies in a row I think on the back nine, 1 putting every hole
  • edited October 2011
    Even more amazing is the stat that he recently went 449 holes without a three-putt. That is, quite frankly, ridiculous. I think the closest to him is (somewhat unbelievably) Sergio - way back on around 150 (though even that may have come to an end now - not sure whether he three-putted this week)
  • Unfortunately, many will consider him a 'failure' until he wins a major.
  • Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke !!!
  • Roll on the Ryder Cup next year.
  • Love his golf swing and the finishing position of the club was perfect.