Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Team Strengthening

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
If I remember rightly, a few months ago the general concensus seemed to be that we still needed a pacy striker and central defender and a target man. If we are to add players in the window, what positions do we now think we should be looking at. I'd say the target man problem is sorted and if the centre back situation needed any sorting then i guess Cort is it so that seems to just leave a pacey striker. Have i answered my own question or are there other positions that need sorting? Is Stephens going to do it consistently enough? is BWP going to last the season? Do we lack a bit when we come up against the bully boys?   

Comments

• Options
    How long do we have Kermogrant for?
  • Options
    Maybe a pacey left winger. Evina can do a job there, but I'd rather he was second choice left back and we brought in a player specifically for left midfield.
  • Options

Have we not signed him permanently?

• Options
    good - got a feeling he's going to become a bit of a star for us this season
  • Options
    Yep,2 year deal for Kermit
  • Options
    Backup for BWP would be nice but I don't really see how it would work.

If BWP is injured we want someone to come straight in and score goals, yet somehow they've got to stay match fit.

Both BWP and Jackson are expected to play most games, that's why there is no obvious replacement for either of them.

Who is affordable, but a proven goalscorer, yet happy to wait for their chance?

Perhaps we'd bring in a young striker, but then isn't that what we have Smith, Popo etc for?

Could do with Alonso getting match fit but at the moment I wouldn't bring anyone in. Of course a few injuries and suspensions can change that. We've seen the problems of a squad that is too big under Pardew.
    How long do we have Kermogrant for?
    He signed a 2 year deal
  • Options
    I think we still need some back up for Solly at rightback.  Another centreback if Doherty leaves, and probably another striker if Benson goes.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Not everyone will agree with me here, but I wouldn't mind if we signed Nathan Eccleston permanently. He's only 20, fast and can finish. He wasn't great last season out on the wing but, if BWP were to get injured, I wouldn't worry too much with Kermorgant and Eccleston up front. As a central striker, he is good and has a lot of potential. He's pretty rubbish out on the wing, but totally different as a central striker. If he does it at Rochdale (scored in his only game) then maybe Powell will consider it. I love the three main strikers we've got now, but none of them are exactly kids and I'd really like to see someone young with potential to be the fourth. Not to mention since he's so young, he has sell-on value.

For the second half of the season, having BWP, Kermorgant, Hayes and Eccleston as our strikers would excite me.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I'd only have Ecc if he's got the fact that he's not good enough for Liverpool in his head. Would be good signing though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He definitely had talent Eccleston and could turn out to be very good in the right team.   
  • Options
    I'd only have Ecc if he's got the fact that he's not good enough for Liverpool in his head. Would be good signing though.
    I think he would if we signed him permanently mate. Whilst he's on loan, he still thinks he has a chance at Liverpool, which is understandable imo. He's getting strung along by Liverpool. I'm certain there is a real player in him and we'll only see it when he moves permanently. My hope is that the move isn't too late and it's to us.
  • Options
    There's always young Kevin Lisbie of course......
  • Options

This will be as vital as the summer this season in my opinion . If we are in a good position in January we would be extremely attractive to ambitious players .

I agree our squad is much deeper than last season and that players like Benson , Doherty and Francis will be looking to move on because all of them are unlikely to get contracts that go beyond the summer.

Benno and Doc would need squad replacements . In terms of a left sider I would now like to see whether Evina , Harriott or Bover could be the wide player we crave , if we were to sign someone they would need to be different to Jacko in the same way as Green is diferent to Waggy .

We would need someone to have the same impact and lifting of morale as Danny Mills , Eddie Youds or Jim Melrose who all added a bit of impetus  in years gone by .

• Options
    These things are not simple - we've got a pretty good squad who seem to work well together as a team. Bringing the wrong preson in could disrupt that. Also, there aren't many bargains in January usually - quite the opposite in fact.
  • Options
    I would say a proven left-winger would be good, Evina and Bover look promising but are young and fairly inexperienced. A new RB would be good, just in case (touch wood) Solly gets injured, if that were to happen, i wouldn't be entirely confident in Francis taking that position, and Hughes has proven his capability in the centre so it would be strange to move him. If Benson leaves I would like to see either one of the youngsters step up there game and become our other striker, but I don't think that will happen, I don't think they'll get the opportunity, so I would like to see another striker come in. Ecclestone wouldn't be a bad signing, Kermit and him would make a very good partnership I think.
  • Options

I liked what I saw of Eccleston last season, chris powell didn't judging by the games he played.

We've obviously upped the standard this season & if BWP got injured we're looking at somebody good enough to get 25 odd goals a season to come in & fire us to promotion, I'm not sure that Ecclestone would be good enough to do that. If the unthinkable happened I'd like to see a (as mentioned) Jim melrose type player come in on loan.

Somebody who's done it at the top level, possibly on his way down but still good enough to grab a few goals at this level. Obviously we'd all prefer a young hungry type player but we would need somebody for now not one for the future.  

• Options
    Agree with the above, but I also think we could do with some cover for Stephens. I know we didn't miss him to much on Saturday but I still feel that he is a one off in our squad. I could be wrong as many on here think that JJ could be brought inside and play a similar role.
  • Options

Agree with the above, but I also think we could do with some cover for Stephens. I know we didn't miss him to much on Saturday but I still feel that he is a one off in our squad. I could be wrong as many on here think that JJ could be brought inside and play a similar role.
    I think Alonseo could fill that gap. He could be the second choice flair centre midfielder. Yeha, he was pretty rubbish against Brentford, but there was glimpses of real quality there. He looked a million miles off full fitness in that game. When Alonso is 100% I'm sure we have a bit of a gem. His ball control and some of his passing was quality. I think he might just take time to settle in, I'm definitely not ruling him out just yet.
  • Options

I think Alonseo could fill that gap. He could be the second choice flair centre midfielder. Yeha, he was pretty rubbish against Brentford, but there was glimpses of real quality there. He looked a million miles off full fitness in that game. When Alonso is 100% I'm sure we have a bit of a gem. His ball control and some of his passing was quality. I think he might just take time to settle in, I'm definitely not ruling him out just yet.
    Exactly, Hughes was ruled out by many (including me) and when he came back he won a lot of people over. If Alonso can do the same thing we're laughing, because let's face it he is a much more skilful player than Hughes.