Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The spine

I've seen Charlton four times this season now - one friendly which, I guess, doesn't count and three league games. My record is also P 4 W 4 D 0 L 0 F 10 A 1 (I shall still be around for the Huddersfield game, so we can all be optimistic!). I don't get to see Charlton too often but the big difference for me is that the spine of the team has looked strong whoever has filled those roles. In every standard it makes all the difference, but it is a rarity at this level. Last night at Wycombe it was the difference between the two sides in a game that was, at times, scrappy.

Some seemed to think that Hughes was a weak link in the second half, but I would argue that he plugged away and was in the right place at the right time to keep things under control - I never thought Wycombe would equalise. The two central defenders are both solid and hard without giving away unnecessary free kicks. All in all, Powell has built a team that both plays together and is solid in the right places.

Of the other players, Wiggins has improved as he settled into the team and I thought Green played worked well with the strikers in the first hour against Wycombe. Injuries and suspensions will no doubt disrupt things at some point this season, but it would be good if we can keep the spine playing week in week out. Morrison, Hollands or Wright-Philips would be sorely missed even for one or two games.

Comments

• Options

taylor and morrison i thought looked shakey early on in the season but have grown into it for me but i'm not sure who is the better of the two !

• Options
    I don't know who's the better of the 2 as I can't tell them apart on the pitch!
  • Options
    There's a few of us in that club...
  • Options
    It helps when Morro wears orange boots!
  • Options
    Quite a few people on here seem to prefer Morrison.  I've only been to two games, and Morrison & Taylor were only playing in one of those games - but I thought Taylor looked more solid! (that was against Bournemouth, if anything was wondering, with the other game being against Reading).
  • Options

Think they're both great, wouldn't want to pick a favourite out of the two. Both no nonsense centre halves and more importantly, they seem to have found a good understanding with each other, and given they've only played 14/15 games together I think that's superb and makes me feel very confident defensively, something I haven't felt for quite a few years!

• Options
    I prefer Morrison if I'm honest (just), even though I do really like Taylor. I think Morrison has the potential to play in the Premiership.
  • Options
    Not just Me then ! ;-)
  • Options
    Morrison just looks like a cb, he looks like he could mix it and that is why I prefer him.