Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Virgin London Marathon 2012

following on from the jogging thread..

So who's doing this next year? will you be wearing an addicks top?

I am doing it to raise money for MENCAP, not sure of apparel yet, one of my sponsors is suggesting union jack speedos, hmmm not sure about that one.

Just in case anyone wants to sponsor me, here's a link again

http://www.justgiving.com/barnies-London2012

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Applying to be a runner for Children with Leukaemia(Children with Cancer). Would love to support the cause and run the marathon, so I will let you know when they get back to me. :) Good luck mate!
  • Options

I am in running for Cancer Research UK so hoping to break 4 hours or 4.15 at worst. Good luck with all the training, didnt enjoy that heavy rain last night but needs must! We should be in the Championship by then!

• Options

good luck!

I'm in too - but ongoing left-leg injuries hampering training at the moment - want to get some good steady mileage in, with decent long runs, before starting on a schedule around Christmas time.

Just reading this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/dp/0736074600/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319637266&sr=8-1-spell

which was recommended to me, not too weighty a read - lots of good information and advice that you can pick and choose from. Probably useful, and at the least very interesting for anyone hoping for a time of around 4hrs or less.

• Options
    is there one for people hoping to finish (at all)?

:)
  • Options
    just had my gate measured (no fence jokes please) and bought some new funky trainers, no excuses now. Am hunting a beginner to Marathon book though, suggestions welcome.

:)
  • Options
    I'm doing London and Paris the week before London for Greenwich and bexley hospice.
  • Options

anyone got any views on a decent treadmill without breaking the credit card too much?

much appreciated, and happy NY COYR

• Options
    its difficult to run a marathon from a treadmill as you need the mileage from the road....if the weathers bad just pay as you good at a gym on the treadmill instead otherwise hit the road with some decent running gear. The london marathon shop in covent garden has a sale
  • Options
    agree it shouldn't replace road running, I will use it as an add on and when I can't leave the kids on their own
  • Options
    the london marathon office said the best ones are John Lewis because they have the best products and if it goes wrong they send people to fix etc....especially as you have kids!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to all with training and avoiding injuries. I did it last year for the Miscarriage Association and apart from one calf strain and various minor knee niggles I overcame it. I would say road running is a must as you simply cannot run a Marathon on a treadmill. It also replicates the road running you'll be doing on the day. Eat plenty of carbs, stay hydrated, rest up in between runs, have ice packs and ibuprofen in ready supply too and I'm sure you'll all be fine. Bump these up nearer April and I'll be sure to sponsor you all. Good luck. 
  • Options

I got in for 2012.

I started training a couple of months ago and hurt my knee then had some other problems to sort out. The most I have ever run is 3.5 miles so I have some serious training to do starting on the 1st Jan!

• Options

I got in for 2012.

I started training a couple of months ago and hurt my knee then had some other problems to sort out. The most I have ever run is 3.5 miles so I have some serious training to do starting on the 1st Jan!

I'm having all sorts of problems. Got up to half marathon and was about to go up to 15 miles when I started getting a manner of problems with my ankle and knee. Had an MRI and I've torn my cartilage. Ankle is fine but I've got to change my running action. It's alot harder than it sounds!
  • Options
    The key is building the miles up. No point going hell for leather and doing 15 miles. Start with 3 then work up to double figures then through the teens to 20. Then taper it down during the last two weeks before the marathon. There are some great 16 week training regimes to download. I've attached the one I followed last year. Starts at 3 miles and the most is 20 miles.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The key is building the miles up. No point going hell for leather and doing 15 miles. Start with 3 then work up to double figures then through the teens to 20. Then taper it down during the last two weeks before the marathon. There are some great 16 week training regimes to download. I've attached the one I followed last year. Starts at 3 miles and the most is 20 miles.
    I did 3hr 20 at 38yo and apart from two half marathons, never did more than 12 miles. Lots of fartlek, cross-training (rowing machine) flat out 5 milers. Never dragged litres of water with me either. Interval training for leg speed a must.
  • Options

I did 3hr 20 at 38yo and apart from two half marathons, never did more than 12 miles. Lots of fartlek, cross-training (rowing machine) flat out 5 milers. Never dragged litres of water with me either. Interval training for leg speed a must

Nice time Harveys!  That said best to avoid running the 26.2 having only done 12 as a long run previously, especially if you are just starting out!  Most programs build up distances gradually with 20-22 as max with a 3 week taper.  Good luck to you London guys!

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I can't see that this has been posted elsewhere? Our Chairman is running for Demelza.

http://www.justgiving.com/michael-slater2012

http://www.cafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2579321,00.html

Edit: Oh yes it has
  • Options
    I'm up to 6 miles now and am going to attempt 7 miles tonight. I've got a training plan as a guide which shows me where I need to be and am not too far behind. Changed my diet for the next few months so I'm doing everything I can to make sure I'm ready. I just want to get round really but don't want friends and family waiting around hours for me on the day.

@stop shouting
    hows the training going now?
  • Options
    I'm up to about 9 now fairly comfortably but then man do I pay for it for a couple of days later. It never used to be this bad :-(

Was looking last night for accomodation for the Saturday night beforehand (CAFC also at home that day by happy coincidence) but the hotels that are still available are absolutely tearing the backside out of it - £180+ for a Travel Tavern by the A13! Supply and demand I suppose.

Could be kipping on a mates floor at this rate!
  • Options
    I am running his year. Was up to about 14miles but pulled a glad muscle and missed 3weeks. On the comeback trail now so not lost too much time.

Anyone after any training advice let me know. Been running for years and did a degree in sports science, happy to offer any help to those struggling with things.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm probably going to pull out unfortunately - too many niggling injuries - probably made things worse in December by upping the mileage to 60 (from 45) for the Christmas week with 16 on Christmas Eve, haven't really run since 15 on Jan 2nd which were a big struggle with injuries. Time to just get back running sensibly again and forget marathons.
    Probably.
  • Options
    Bournmouth Addick

There is a Premier Inn just opened by the Dartford Tunnel (South Side) with a flexible rate of £64 per room on 21st April.
  • Options
    Did it in 2010, doing it again this year. Did my first training run today, easy 5 miles in 40 minutes. Will just take it slow and build the miles up. Running for CRY so just get round in 4 hours will do me, the charity and £££ is more important than killing myself.

Good luck all.

• Options
    easy 5 miles in 40 mins. Haha. That pace would kill me!
  • Options
    I'm in as well, injuries permitting.

Up to 9 miles so far, so only another 17 and a bit to do on top of that...

Did it once before in 2002 and would love to beat my time from then, but in reality will be happy just to get to the start line in one piece and get round in as little pain as possible!
  • Options
    I'm running the marathon this year for a special needs school in Crayford and Cancer Research.Did my longest run so far yesterday,7 miles.Getting there slowly and I'm sure even slower on the day!!!!!Good luck to everyone.