Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton U18s v Arsenal U18s - LIVE this Saturday on CAFC Player

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
I'll be providing live commentary of the Academy League for the first time in what may well be a pilot for future broadcasts. The Young Addicks have won their last four and face a tough challenge to make it 5 in a row against Arsenal, who Charlton defeated 3-0 at the training ground last season as part of a superb league double over the Gunners.

You can sign up for a free 14-day trial with Player at the moment - though you'll need to cancel before the 14 days are up if you don't wish to roll onto paid customer service on a rolling monthly basis - and listeners this weekend can tune in to a five-hour block of live Addicks coverage starting with the youth game, followed by a Charlton Live preview show and then finally full commentary of the League One game away to Hartlepool.

This will be the first chance for the radio commentary critics to let me have it with both barrels if I don't cover the football adequately...! On a serious note, all feedback will be welcomed in what will be my all-audio comm debut, let me know if you're happy with the new concept and the execution either on here or via Twitter @liamhappe

Comments

• Options
    Good luck with it Liam, can imagine it'll be quite technically challenging just doing it pitchside!
  • Options
    I'll be cosied up inside the four walls of the Sparrows Lane offices, I just hope the view is half as good as that of the halfway line amongst everyone else where I usually am!
  • Options

Had to bump this. I hope people will watch and it can become a regular feature of CAFC Player.

• Options
    Will try and listen.

Poyet and Pigott both missing, Azeez should be fit.
  • Options
    Right, off to Sparrows I go. Hope as many of you as possible decide to begin your Saturday of Charlton by tuning in and cheering the kids on to a 5th straight win against top opposition.

Doubt I'll have proper net access there but will Tweet the starting line-ups before I go on air, if someone wants to do me a favour and paste them here.
  • Options

liamhappe Liam Happe 
    #cafc U18s v Arsenal: Phillips; Cousins, Gomez, Lennon, Fox; Jordan, Willer, Muldoon; Azeez, Harriott, Sho-Silva.

Gomez an u16 I believe.
  • Options

liamhappe Liam Happe 
    #cafc U18s v Arsenal: Phillips; Cousins, Gomez, Lennon, Fox; Jordan, Willer, Muldoon; Azeez, Harriott, Sho-Silva.

Gomez an u16 I believe.
    I think Gomez is actually an U15. It's pretty impressive for him to be involved at this point.
  • Options
    Half time and Arsenal lead through Anthony Jeffrey's 32nd minute drive. Second half coming up on Player shortly.
  • Options
    Having tried to encourage people to listen I can't hear anything on CAFC Player!
  • Options
    Ah, good - just got it as the second half starts.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2011

Harry Gerard has come on for Muldoon , I was told he is quite a prospect ex West Ham U15 I believe. 

Well done Liam you are doing an excellant job.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Anyone know why Diego Poyet isn't playing? Injured?
  • Options
    He was away on international duty last week so maybe just giving him some extra time off.
  • Options
    OK - thanks

• Options
    Yeah - scored 1-1
  • Options

Yes 1-1

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Missed our equaliser, who scored for us?

2-1 to Arsenal
  • Options
    Arsenal score. 1-2
  • Options
    Sho-Silva

• Options
    Great commentary Liam. Well done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers mate. Hopefully this will be the first of several Super Saturdays this season.
  • Options
    Oh and Nadou, Poyet played a 2nd game for Eng U17s yday, they beat Bosnia 2-0. Poyet was captain and the goals came from a pair of Arsenal youngsters who also missed this morning's match as a result.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, Liam. Congrats again on the commentary. You gave me a clear picture of what was going on and also managed to convey the excitement of incidents on the pitch.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

I also enjoyed your commentary Liam I hope it becomes a regular feature .

Everyone seems to believe that this set of youngsters is the best we have coming through for years. Along with young pros like Bover , Evina ,Mambo  and Popo I think the medium / long term  future looks very bright indeed that is not to mention the likes of Solly and Wiggins who are just a couple of years older.

Apart from Cousins ,Harriott , Osbourne when he is fit and Poyet , what other names should we particularly look for ?

Also are there any Arsenal players we should look at who might be released like Evina was last season ? 

• Options
    I think Bradley Jordan deserves every bit as much credit in the midfield as Poyet has received. The two are excellent in our three-man midfield regardless of whether they are joined by Jamal Willer, Oli Muldoon or Harry Gerard, all of whom do a decent enough job of keeping up.

Ajayi is very Mambo-like. Same physical presence and commanding game, perhaps not as promising a standout as when Mambo was at his age but more versatile as he's a very good right-back for a man of his frame and in fact I dare say we play better when Cousins plays CB and Ajayi moves outside.

Lennon and Gomez are still very young and could be a superb CB partnership for the U18s next season once Osborne Cousins and Ajayi graduate.

Joe Pigott, if he continues his progress, will be a great striker. Old school style centre-forward, doesn't care if his goals all come ugly and from close range as long as he's scoring plenty, which he does. Good team work rate and the three-man strike force of him being flanked by Sho-Silva and Azeez has been keeping Harriott out of the starting XI and deservedly so.

Fingers crossed I can provide live comm from Sparrows Lane as soon as next month. Will keep you all posted.
  • Options

What about Morgan Fox  , he seems to have played quite a bit for the reserves ?

• Options
    Yeah he is up there for a possible pro deal. Only thing is theres 6/7 we could easily sign up and the most I remember us taking on in one go was five. But the squad at the moment is a good one and so unlucky not to have taken something from the Arsenal game, particularly when Azeez was denied on the line after he rounded the keeper at 1-1.