Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watford v Wigan 21st Feb...

As much as our next game is HUGE this one is even more so, especially for Watford.

A home win would effectively make Watford favourites out of the three teams at the bottom to get out of it, especially with Charlton v West Ham 3 days later.

An away win would be the end for Watford, and the end for the loser of Charlton v West Ham, or both teams if we draw.

I think I will take the draw here as best for us. Wigan would expect to beat Watford so will be on a downer if they dont. Likewise, Watford are on a high so anything less than 3 points at home to Wigan wont be good enough.

Plus if we go in to the West Ham match bottom of the table I cant see the morale being too high.

If neither team gets a result it keeps their confidence down and means they cant build any momentum and if we could beat the Hamsters on the 24th it would be game on.

Agreed? Or are we all glory hornet boys for the night?

Comments

• Options
    If we beat Wigan, West Ham and Watford, the pressure switches again, my attitude about is still the same, worry about yourself, cause that's the only thing you have any control over.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]If we beat Wigan, West Ham and Watford, the pressure switches again, my attitude about is still the same, worry about yourself, cause that's the only thing you have any control over.

Agree, but I would prefer a draw.
  • Options
    true Rothko, but we've allowed ourselves to get into the situation where we do need to worry about the other teams around us. Just doing our bit won't be enough.

A draw is the vastly preferential result, second scenario would be a Watford win as it will leave the spread between us and the 4th place the same. Worst result possible would be a Wigan win IMO.
  • Options
    If we truly believe that it is in our own hands then we should hope for a Watford win given our poor goal difference relative to Wigan.

We then need to go out and beat West Ham, Watford and Wigan to turn the screw on them.

Yes it puts us under pressure but if we are going to get out of it we have to win these matches.
  • Options
    Not sure a draw is the prefered result AFKA

Stating the obvious, three teams go down, and to be honest whether you're 18th or 20th makes no odds.

We need as many teams in the mix and if wigan get even 1 point, thats might be enough for them. pretty sure this year goal difference will also come into it and that watford will be relegated. Ideally, well get a Sheffield Utd slump as well.
  • Options
    If we had goal difference in our favour then a draw would be the best outcome for us. A draw would leave Wigan +6 points on us and means as GD is in their favour that we need to overhaul that and then find another point from somewhere to overtake them. I'd much rather they lost and stayed within two victories of us. In any case if we don't beat WHU, Wigan and Watford when we play them we are all but down.
  • Options
    just doing our bit - if we won every game from now, we'd stay up. Right?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]just doing our bit - if we won every game from now, we'd stay up. Right?

No.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]just doing our bit - if we won every game from now, we'd stay up. Right?[/quote]

Provided Wigan dropped at least six points, yes.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    We've 11 games left and we need 39-42 points (an extra 19-22) so six wins and some draws please - Wigan may be tough to overtake but one of the four or five above them is going to screw up. So a draw in the Watford Wigan game suits me as Southend says, we are playing both fairly soon.

If we do our stuff, winning every other game (or a bit better in Feb/March due to the run in) then we'll be OK especially if we take 9 points off the other three around us - the quicker we get to 30 the better it looks and the more pressure on Jewell and Curbs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hansen reckons we could do it.

?
  • Options
    I think 36/37 might be enough, depending on the other teams. No matter what happens we have to win the big four games (west ham, watford, wigan and sheffield), then it's a case of picking up 2 wins from our other games. If we won every other game, but lost those 4 it wouldn't matter.

Can't believe Sky isn't televising them all (plus watford v wigan and any other the other all bottom 5 clashes). Going to be a cracking atmosphere at every game and with everybody, but the top few playing for little or nothing these should be the most entertaining and important games.
  • Options
    We've got to want Watford to be Wigan surely.We need to get above 3 teams and at the moment that means catching Wigan.We're already 5 points behind and played a game more.Forget Watford they are the weakest team and will go down.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Posted By: stanmoreaddick -
    "We need as many teams in the mix and if wigan get even 1 point, thats might be enough for them. pretty sure this year goal difference will also come into it and that watford will be relegated. Ideally, well get a Sheffield Utd slump as well". {QUOTE}

I can't see Sheff Utd drawn back into it unless they really mess up their last 3 home games: West Ham, Watford & Wigan.

If they should win all 3, then they'll have 39 points - surely enough without taking even a point elsewhere (including at The Valley!)

It would mean 3 points less for each of the W's and work in our favour, providing we pick up the points we need.

For example, we are presently 5 points behind Wigan.
    If we beat Wigan and say Sheff Utd at home - and Sheff Utd beat Wigan (ltheir final game of the season) then we've made up the difference and overtaken Wigan.

Lots of other contingencies I know, but I reckon Watford to beat Wigan would be the best result.