Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jury service

Starting jury service tomorrow at belmarsh and not sure what to expect.

They told me they sent me a confirmation packet which has details of what i need to take, time to arrive etc. But it got sent back to them by the post office.

Got back from holiday last night so havent had time to find out any info apart from arrival time

Anyone done it before. Parents think I should wear suit tousers, shirt. Missus thinks I will be ok in jeans and tshirt

Tips/advice would be very much appreciated.

O-R-H

Comments

• Options

Wear what you are comfortable in, you will be there all day.

Take a book, paper, sudoku,iPod or whatever as you will most likely have a lot of waiting around before you get a case.

When you are on a case it's interesting (well I thought so) and your playing your part in something that goes back to before the Norman oppression and makes this country great.

And if you want to chair the jury sit at the top of the table and then everyone looks to you : - )

Good luck and enjoy

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Wear whatever you want. Take a book. Prepare to be bored. Done jury service three times (all before I was 25 - what are the bloody odds of that?). Only once was I not bored out of my skull the entire time (a case involving garages, ringers and moody officials working for the council that were in on the racket). The rest of the time was interminable. I was foreman on three cases - sent 'em all down. Guilty as sin.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Ive done it twice . Cambridge and Luton. Jeans are fine . Really enjoyed it . Belmarsh sounds a bit daunting though.
  • Options

Agreed, you need to be comfortable (clothing wise) as more than likely you will be sitting around waiting to be called for a while. If you are unlucky, like on my first stint, you could be waiting two whole days. I was at Belmarsh and I suggest you do not use the bus stop outside as I got on a bus with a lot of family and friends of the accused on a case where I was in the jury. They looked as meanacing as they could, without saying too much. Could be frightening for some on their own.

Got a lift home the day they were found guilty and I was voted the head juror!

• Options
    Ta for the advice

Don't really fancy being to head juror so hopefully someone else will volunteer for that spot

Kind of looking forward to it in a way. Been told by a few it's better being on a case rather than sitting around all day.

Hopefully a few early finishes will be on the cards
  • Options
    Take a big book, you could be sitting there for 2 days before you get a case. You should not get out any later than 4.30
  • Options
    If you don't really want to be on a case then wear a suit and take a copy of the Daily Mail with you.
  • Options
    I loved jury service, was brilliant! I got a case on the first day and it lasted to my last scheduled day...the head juror was a charlton supporter and occasionally spot him at the valley...our jury was great, had.a.lot of.laughs in the down time (was at belmarsh too)
  • Options

I have done Jury S at Belmarsh. They will ask your circumstances as you can occassionally get a trial that goes on for weeks. If your not self employed it can be enjoyable.

If you are self employed, get yourself in with the (mostly) women who organise the Jury and say it will give you financial hardship if a trial goes on too long. They will say they cannot help but I found that if you asked nicely, they would put you on a short case(s).

• Options
    Jury Service is the one thing I dread.

I'm sure it will be interesting but my body automatically goes into shut down when sitting for long periods.  I struggle in any business meeting lasting longer than an hour.  So many times I find myself drifting off...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jury Service is the one thing I dread.

I'm sure it will be interesting but my body automatically goes into shut down when sitting for long periods.  I struggle in any business meeting lasting longer than an hour.  So many times I find myself drifting off...
    It's got to be difficult for you at the Lane then?
  • Options
    Really enjoyed mine, had 2 cases and was foreman for 1 so had the pleasure (if you can call it that) of saying guilty to a couple of drug dealers.
  • Options
    I've done it twice Old Bailey and Southwark, 4 cases foreman each time, enjoyed every minute of ity, but you can be kept waiting around quite a bit especially the first few days.  If there is a cheap and expensive way to travel first day go the4 expensive way and give them receipts, then for the rest of the time go the cheap, not that i would have done a thing like that,

• Options
    Someone I used to work with was on jury service with Carl Leaburn. Wouldn't have minded that one!
  • Options
    I went to Southwark a couple of years ago - was there for 2 or 3 days, but didn't get a case.  Got called for a case, but they called 14 of us up, then called 11 of those 14 into the jury - I was one of the three sent back to the waiting room.  And that was that.  I was doing supply teaching at the time, and got reimbursed for the amount I would have worked - even though the supply agency I was with told me that didn't have anything for me that week.
  • Options
    Done it twice at the Marsh last time a year ago. Get there early, for 9am at the latest, if driving and you will get in the Court car park otherwise take your chance in the streets opposite. Hope you have got your jury summons paperwork or you could have problems getting in. If you are going by bus take care at the bus stop outside going home. The public gallery tip out the same time so keep your nut down. The jury room is fine and the staff who look after you are great especially the Doris with the beehive who does the catering, a real character. Used to rib her about the teabags. would take half hour to get a bit of colour going. Belmarsh blend I used to ask her for.   
  • Options
    I was on jury service last year case finished on the day that Chrissy was appointed, read the text from my daughter and let out a celebratory shout. Another lady juror asked what I was so pleased about so thinking she wouldn't be interested I explained only to find out she was interested as she was Callum Harriots mum.
  • Options
    Turn up in a KKK or Nazi costume and you'll be home 10AM!
  • Options
    how does one get to do jury service? My missus has been called up twice but I've never been asked.
  • Options
    how does one get to do jury service? My missus has been called up twice but I've never been asked.
    People are picked at random...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's just it - people are called up at random.
  • Options
    so i've just been unlucky (imo) then, you'd have thought I might have been given a go by now at nearly 50 years old!!
  • Options
    .  If there is a cheap and expensive way to travel first day go the4 expensive way and give them receipts, then for the rest of the time go the cheap, not that i would have done a thing like that,

Would be a bit hypocritical that....sitting piously judging over someone whilst fraudulently ripping off public funds.
  • Options
    I'd love to be called up................As a Daily Mail reader I'd make sure I turned up on the first day with ripped jeans and slogan blazzed t-shirt - once picked I'd then turn up in my suit & tie - that will get the buggers !!
  • Options

I'm sure you wont, but please be careful about what you tweet, facebook or post about jury service. You can be held in contempt if you talk about what happend/ said in the jury room, even long after the trial has finished.

If you wear a shirt and tie , you are less likely to be selected as defence lawyers dont like jurors in suits !

Don't worry. Don't use facebook anymore and defo won't be posting anything online about cases.

Pelham: I havent received any paperwork apart from the original telling me when I have got it. They left me a voicemail on a blocked number to remind me of a date but no time. But got my girlfriends mum to ring up while I was away to ask about times.
  • Options
    I'd love to be called up................As a Daily Mail reader I'd make sure I turned up on the first day with ripped jeans and slogan blazzed t-shirt - once picked I'd then turn up in my suit & tie - that will get the buggers !!

No chance golfie. It's only open to humans... ;-)
  • Options
    There is only one way that you should dress for jury service.  Like this:

• Options
    always wanted to do jury service but i guess they wouldnt allow petrol cans into the court.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I find it weird but none of my family have ever been called up. Four kids. One has a minor criminal record so I assume that's why the other three of us has never been called. I guess as find it odd as none of us called. Years back my dad always blamed it on the fact he was from Belfast.