Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cannon Street Station redevelopment

edited November 2011 in Not Sports Related
hmmm large glass (warm in winter) foyer area that passengers don't use - large waste of cash or am I missing something?

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2011
    It's for the offices above the station I think. I assume you mean the bit with the escalators and the huge wall of brightly coloured lights?
  • Options
    Do you mean the area with the wall that changes colour? If so that's clearly a private office.

It looks like the Walbrook Building is finished now. What a white elephant that will be!
  • Options
    Is that the one as you walk up St Swithins lane?  It was the first time i've seen it this morning without barriers. 

Why a white elephant - because no one will move in?
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Did you know that the huge criss crossed bright steel clad pipework on the outside of the building above the station is filled with water..........interesting fact.

One of very few constructions built in this way and was hugely inovative at the time it was built......I understand the water is non functional for domestic usage and is required only to make the building stand up........so in effect if you pull out the plug the building would collapse!

• Options
    It's been mostly finished for a while now, although they've been doing a few bits and pieces to it. As far as I can tell, there's nobody in there so it seems to be a huge waste of money. Same can be said for much of the redevelopement that is going on in the city at the moment. Huge construction projects building offices that may never be used.
  • Options

Did you know that the huge criss crossed bright steel clad pipework on the outside of the building above the station are filled with water..........interesting fact.

One of very few constructions built in this way and was hugely inovative at the time it was built......I understand the water is non functional for domestic usage and is required only to make the building stand up........so in effect if you pull out the plug the building would collapse!

I hope you're having a laugh! I walk under that thing every day and you're telling me that if it springs a leak I'll have a 10 storey building on my head? I need an Acme Steel Umbrella, pronto!!
  • Options

Well I hope we are going to get something in the station. A decent bar and some useful shops hopefully. Not even a cashpoint there at the moment.

• Options
    Yes bring back the M&S food shop, card shop & dry cleaners. 
    Cant see where they will put anything tho, they just took all those services away.
  • Options
    It's a really poor design to be honest. The train buffers are far too close to the ticket barriers on platforms 1-3, hence massive delays getting out of the station every morning. There's more floor area taken up with steps than the actual concourse. The departure boards are in stupid places (although that might change when it's finished). There's no place for any shops, bars etc. All in all, very poor.
  • Options
    Is that the one as you walk up St Swithins lane?  It was the first time i've seen it this morning without barriers. 

Do you mean the area with the wall that changes colour? If so that's clearly a private office.

It looks like the Walbrook Building is finished now. What a white elephant that will be!
    we were advised Bloomberg are moving into the wallbrook building, not sure if taking all of it though....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think you may be right BFP, According to a friend who works for the firm they may be moving to the wallbrook temporarily whilst their new offices next door are built.
  • Options

we were advised Bloomberg are moving into the wallbrook building, not sure if taking all of it though....

I think Bloomberg have taken a pre-let on Legal & General's Walbrook Square development. They were in negotiation with Minerva for Walbrook but pulled out, accusing the developer of over-negotiating.

• Options
    It's a really poor design to be honest. The train buffers are far too close to the ticket barriers on platforms 1-3, hence massive delays getting out of the station every morning. There's more floor area taken up with steps than the actual concourse. The departure boards are in stupid places (although that might change when it's finished). There's no place for any shops, bars etc. All in all, very poor.
    Agreed, they should be another departure board by the steps. I better not say too much in case Charlton fans start to get a reputation!

The rent is too expensive so no one will move in. Most of it was completed last year but it's still empty. The Stone of Brutus is by St Swithin's Lane for those who are interested in the history of London.
  • Options

They have done a few tv shows/Adverts in that building!

Middle of the year I walked past and they had loads of Toshiba signs up?

Also tv camera in there last month with loads of extras walking about!

• Options
    yeah, I think they did some recording for Spooks in there at one point.
  • Options

just to clarify it was the new Jonny english film that was filmed there.

• Options

The one in St Swithins lane is N M Rothschilds new gaff. They move 'over the road' and pulled down their old building and have now just finished moving back in. Quality phone system installed.......