Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When was the last time a former manager came back as manager?

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
Too soon for Les or Dowie and Lennie was sacked just before we played Boro. Gritt never did and can't remember Mullery doing it.

Craggs never had another top job and don't remember Bailey doing it. Wasn't Nelson, Foley or Firmani so I'm thinking it was Stokoe in the late sixties, early seventies while both we and Carlisle were in the old division two.

Any more mature fans remember this?

Comments

• Options
    christ !
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    There was a certain amount of confusion regarding Bailey's role towards the end of the Andy Nelson days as I recall. I think he was team manager 78/9 ish while Nelson was General Manager. Bailey then took over completely when we came up from the third in 80/81

Otherwise I think you might be looking at Macfarlane (?spelling) from the twenties.

No I wasn't watching then:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Too soon for Les or Dowie and Lennie was sacked just before we played Boro. Gritt never did and can't remember Mullery doing it.

Craggs never had another top job and don't remember Bailey doing it. Wasn't Nelson, Foley or Firmani so I'm thinking it was Stokoe in the late sixties, early seventies while both we and Carlisle were in the old division two.

Just realised that you are referring to a manager coming back with another team rather than becoming Charlton manager again!

Stokoe as manager of Blackpool when they sent us down to the third in 71/72 at Bloomfield Road. I assume he was manager for The Valley game too.
  • Options
    LENcyclopaeadia strikes again.
  • Options
    What about that fucking no-mark Mullery? Did he manage against us when he was at Palarse or QPR?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]What about that fucking no-mark Mullery? Did he manage against us when he was at Palarse or QPR?

Don't remember that as I'm sure I would have been screaming abuse at him but I may be wrong.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]christ !

He did a comeback, you're right AFKA, but that wasn't what I was thinking off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Too soon for Les or Dowie and Lennie was sacked just before we played Boro. Gritt never did and can't remember Mullery doing it.

Just realised that you are referring to a manager coming back with another team rather than becoming Charlton manager again!

Stokoe as manager of Blackpool when they sent us down to the third in 71/72 at Bloomfield Road. I assume he was manager for The Valley game too.

Thanks Len, so it's either Stokoe on 11 December 1972 CAFC 2 Blackpool 3 (9,617) And we were two up! Or Shades 'll Sort It with Palace in 82 - 84
  • Options
    27/12/1982 - CPFC 1 - 1 CAFC and Simonsen played for us
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]christ !

He did a comeback, you're right AFKA, but that wasn't what I was thinking off.

LOL!

Haven't you forgotten to add an "allegedly" in there, just for the PC brigade
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]27/12/1982 - CPFC 1 - 1 CAFC and Simonsen played for us

But was he manager at a game at the Valley. Presumably later that season.
  • Options
    Mullery for sure.

A Monday night at Selhurst and I managed to get a lift home from Simonsen in his Audi Quattro - he was absolutely knackered and got a pasting from Billy Gilbert. Set up Steve White's equaliser though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]27/12/1982 - CPFC 1 - 1 CAFC and Simonsen played for us

But was he manager at a game at the Valley. Presumably later that season.

Not sure if he was still their manager come the following April.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Mullery for sure.

A Monday night at Selhurst and I managed to get a lift home from Simonsen in his Audi Quattro - he was absolutely knackered and got a pasting from Billy Gilbert. Set up Steve White's equaliser though.
    Bloody hell - Steve White! Now there's a player who was under-appreciated by large sections of the Valley faithful (not that there were many of us in those days...)
  • Options
    Didn't Steve White come from Luton in part exchange for Paul Walsh?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Didn't Steve White come from Luton in part exchange for Paul Walsh?

Yep and the resentment probably prejudiced people against White as Leroy mentions.
  • Options
    Erm, unless I am very much mistaken people here are barking up the wrong tree, the wrong suburb in fact!

November 16th 1991 - Middlesbrough 2-0 Charlton. Lennie was their manager and we had Curbs/Gritty.

March 28th 1992 - Charlton 0-0 Middlebrough - Lennie brought them to the return at Upton Park.

Is this the right answer or are we referring to bringing a team only back to the Valley?
  • Options
    Lennie also brought Luton to The Valley 95/96 didnt he?

The one where Kim Grant scored for them a week after signing.