Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Frazier - RIP

Goodbye Smokin' Joe.

The golden era of heavyweight boxing loses a great.

Comments

• Options
    R.I.P. a genuine great from an era of giants - Ali, Frazier, Foreman - will that ever happen again?
  • Options
    R.I.P. a genuine great from an era of giants - Ali, Frazier, Foreman - will that ever happen again?

Yes, David Haye, Audley Harrison and Tyson Fury......:)
  • Options
    edited November 2011

RIP.
    A truly great fighter.
  • Options
    It'll never be seen again.  With multiple titles and savvy management the likes of Foreman, Ali and Smokin Joe would each have a belt or two and wouldn't meet very often.
  • Options
    Great fighter and beat ali when both were nearer to there peak
  • Options
    Sad to hear he had gone.  Great fighter.
  • Options
    Sat up regulalrly in the early hours of the morning listening to those great fight commentaries in the 60's and 70's.....
  • Options
    When me and my brother used to 'box' each other he was always Ali and I was always Smokin Joe!

When boxing was great he was one who made it so.

RIP
  • Options
    Only 5/10 far to small to ever achieve anything,

RIP Smoking Joe
  • Options

He was a great boxer in an era of great boxers.

RIP

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Very sad.  Not the most articulate of men but the definition of heart in boxing.

His lack of wit was ruthlessy and cruelly exploited by Ali and all the racist abuse and Uncle Tom stuff he threw at him really hurt him and seemed to really affect his life.

And he was robbed in one of those Ali fights in the aftermath.  Saw a really good documentary about the pair of them and at first lost a bit of the awe I had for Ali but I suppose it was a different era certainly in the US at the time so easy to criticise retrospectively.

RIP Smokin Joe.

• Options

The "Fight of Century" is on ESPN Classic Sport (429 onSky) at 9pm tonight.

Knowing that channel there'll probably be a season of Frazier fights over the next few days.

• Options
    Legend end of

Night night smoking Joe

Rip my man
  • Options
    So very sad at the the news.

Smoking Joe was finally knocked out by that big boxer in the sky.

RIP
  • Options
    Now that was a boxer.
  • Options
    Anyone else watch that fight tonight? I've known 15 rounds go so fast! Brilliant, even the sillyness from both of them halfway through was fantastic.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

My father, my brother and myself watched the Manilla fight live on some kind of closed TV link in Lewisham Odeon in the deep hours of the night.

RIP Joe

• Options
    Quality man and fighter. RIP
  • Options

My father, my brother and myself watched the Manilla fight live on some kind of closed TV link in Lewisham Odeon in the deep hours of the night.

RIP Joe

Ali said that it was the closest to death he had ever been!