Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dambusters programme tonight

edited November 2011 in Not Sports Related

I know that a lot of people here are into things like this so I thought I would point you in the direction of "Dam Busters: The Race to Smash the German Dams" on BBC2 tonight at 9.

There is also an ulterior motive at play here as the producer and director, Aaron Young, is a friend of mine. He was nominated for the Bafta rising star award this year, and was sent out the LA to hobnob with Hollywood's finest as a result so I'm sure it will be a good watch.

Comments

• Options
    Name Dropper!

Sounds like an interesting show, I shall try to tune in.
  • Options
    Will watch that tonight,
    Cheers
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Henry Irving said:

You only got an old telly then?
  • Options

Henry Irving said:

Name Dropper!

You only got an old telly then?
    Perhaps he'll listen on his wireless?
  • Options
    Sounds interesting wife permitting I'll try to watch.

Please may I take the opportunity to draw the attention of interested lifers to Yesterday (Freeview 12 and  others) and 3 programmes called "The Long March To Freedom" about the "Last Escape" or "Death March" , prior to the Russian advance in 1945, commencing 10 November 10pm. A 92 year old Charlton fan, George Hawkins, was a  POW at the time and is interviewed in these programmes.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Cracking programme last night on The Royal West Kent's incredible exploits during the siege and battle of Kohima.

A new programme aired on 'Yesterday'. Well worth watching out for the repeats.

You can find images from the Dambusters mission, and others, using the search facility of the Imperial War Museum Collection here

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/qryPhotoImg.php

• Options
    What and miss Sheffield United v Bradford in the JPT ??

Dambusters it is then.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

I was in a beautiful little town called Woodhall Spa (where the Dam Busters 617 Squadron were stationed) near Lincoln a few weeks back and visited their officers mess which was in a big old place there called The Petwood Hotel. It's still done out in the way it was way back in WW2  and they have added some great display cabinets with various pieces on memorabilia.

They actually took off from Scampton (which is a fair way off from Woodhall Spa)....which is where I first flew in my brother-in-laws Lincoln Aero Club Tiger Moth way back in 1958.

For those golfers out there, there's a magnificent golf course in Woodhall Spa by all accounts.

• Options

I was in a beautiful little town called Woodhall Spa (where the Dam Busters 617 Squadron were stationed) near Lincoln a few weeks back and visited their officers mess which was in a big old place there called The Petwood Hotel. It's still done out in the way it was way back in WW2  and they have added some great display cabinets with various pieces on memorabilia.

They actually took off from Scampton (which is a fair way off from Woodhall Spa)....which is where I first flew in my brother-in-laws Lincoln Aero Club Tiger Moth way back in 1958.

For those golfers out there, there's a magnificent golf course in Woodhall Spa by all accounts.

And where the Red Arrows are based...

• Options
    another dam busters programme? .. it seems there is a new one every six months or so, anyone would think it was Germany and not Spain that England is playing this weekend
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Arguably Bill Murray's finest hour.
  • Options

Strangely enough Scampton is in the news today but for all the wrong reasons I'm afraid to say.

A Red Arrows pilot has tragicly died in an accident on the ground, something to do with an ejector seat I believe.

RIP Young man........... RIP.

• Options
    Only caught the last half of it but enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Was interesting but didn't really tell us too much that was new.