Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Souless / no atmosphere stadia

Off the top of my head  :-

1. MK Dons  -  No way is there an average of 8000 seats occupied out of 20000.

2 Coventry - Ricoh Arena   -  Ditto, an average of 15000 out of 30000. Half full, do me a favour.

3. Middelsbro - The Riverside - Ditto

They all appear to fiddle the attendances & I can't believe there is truth in the figures they announce.

Can't stand watching matches on the TV at these empty souless grounds.

Comments

• Options
    The New Wembley
  • Options
    Colchester
  • Options
    emirates
  • Options

It can be said that all clubs 'fiddle' their attendance.

The way attendance is reported is set out by the FA and is based on the total number of tickets distributed for that match. Therefore they include all season ticket holders whether or not they attend, any comp tickets given to schools etc and individual ticket sales.

This means that no ground is ever as full as the attendance records  (I believe it is on average 1/5th less).

• Options

It can be said that all clubs 'fiddle' their attendance.

The way attendance is reported is set out by the FA and is based on the total number of tickets distributed for that match. Therefore they include all season ticket holders whether or not they attend, any comp tickets given to schools etc and individual ticket sales.

This means that no ground is ever as full as the attendance records  (I believe it is on average 1/5th less).

Quite, but my top 2 in particular really take liberties. I reckon MKD get about 4000 and Coventry about 9000.
  • Options
    6.  "The away end when Charlton are playing away" or so Oah Aah tells me.
  • Options

Off the top of my head  :-

1. MK Dons  -  No way is there an average of 8000 seats occupied out of 20000.

2 Coventry - Ricoh Arena   -  Ditto, an average of 15000 out of 30000. Half full, do me a favour.

3. Middelsbro - The Riverside - Ditto

Like all new stadiums built, they are suppose to be built so the acoustics of the new ground give a better atmosphere but that never tends to happen. I have been to Wembley once last year and you could hardly here the drum even though it was only around a quarter of the stadium away.

They don't make them like they use to!  ;-)

• Options
    The Riverside looked virtually empty on Saturday's Football League Show,
  • Options
    The Riverside looked virtually empty on Saturday's Football League Show,

So did Coventry. We must both be mistaken.

Middelsbro 14,366

Coventry 15,621

MKD 7,120.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15636043.stm

MK Dons set to expand to 32000.

My question is WHY????

Just more seats for the cleaners to wipe down. Really makes no sense.

EDIT: Just noticed this has its own thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Colchester is indeed truly awful....miles from anywhere.....in the middle of a field on the edge of a trading estate.....yuk!
  • Options
    Being brutally honest - The Valley has had its fair share of Libraryesque days in the last few years.
  • Options
    Soundas is right, Colchester is brutal, I would wonder what a full house might be like, but I doubt it would be much good even then.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Not a lot of atmosphere in the East or West Stand at ours but a helluva lot of soul. ST in the Covered End and it is top notch when it gets going.

Found Fulham a pretty lacking in any kind of atmosphere but that could have been to the shocking football being played when we drew 0-0 there.

Can imagine that Emirates and Stamford Bridge (soon to be named the XXXXXXX.SU stadium as Abramovich throws his toys out of the pram for not getting the move.)

Sad really as never went to Highbury or Stamford bridge and must be very sad for the older fans who have seen their grounds turned into corporate theme parks for day trippers and tourists....especially after seeing that Battle of the Bridge video posted on here the other week.

• Options
    Spurs didn't sing a single song at white hart lane in the cup last year.  
  • Options

Nothing game for them to be fair though. Few seasons ago would have been a different story.
  • Options
    MK Dons are averaging 8000 according to the report. Thats about 4000 more than they used to get when there were based in Wimbledon in the premier league.
    17000 - 18000 in last 2 years in EPL
  • Options

eating my prawn sarnie and they certainly did sing.
  • Options

they may have sang 1 song which about 100 of their fans joined in with but that's all I heard
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

they may have sang 1 song which about 100 of their fans joined in with but that's all I heard
    They were pretty quiet, but I can't imagine the atmosphere at the Valley would be great in an FA cup game against an opponent from the conference!