Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Centre back pairings !

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
I know its early days but Taylor and Morrison look a solid duo at the back - are they the best centre back pairing we have seen in the past 5 years since Fish and Costa or Rufus and Youds  ?

Comments

• Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Best since Perry and Fish in 03/04
  • Options
    They complement each other very well, Taylor's leadership experience from captaining Exeter shows as he does a very good job of keeping the whole back line organised.  Morrison plays well ahead of his years and seems to be first to almost everything and I do think he benefits from having Taylor alongside him.  A genuinely excellent partnership.
  • Options
    Hudson,McCarthy and even Llera are part of solid defences now. We are currently excellent, I wonder what has changed?
  • Options
    Hudson,McCarthy and even Llera are part of solid defences now. We are currently excellent, I wonder what has changed?
    all the above were objects of much fan derision and abuse .. now the team is winning and so far this season no player can do any wrong
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Since Pates and Mclaughlin
  • Options
    i bloody loved el karkouri
  • Options
    me too haha
  • Options
    In my mind best siince youds and rufus... How old is morrison?
  • Options
    23 I believe.  He's been quality this season.

Greatto see how much they talk as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good age. I like morrison a lot. Wen they both came in i was worried. Not anymore. If they keep a clean sheet it gives freedom for solly and wiggins. I cant decide my player of season. I started with solly, last few games wiggins .....
  • Options
    I don't know whether Taylor or Morro are better or worse than previous offerings, and I'm not too fussed either way, the understanding they have built between them in such a short space of time is incredible, they compliment each other and look they've played alongside each other for 10 years, pleased Morro scored, just need Matty T to get in on the act.
  • Options
    I've said many times - Morrison is massively important to us.  For a 23 year old he is such an intelligent player.  Great in the air, very mobile and good positioning too.  Nice and vocal and very brave.

I have a huge bromance if I'm honest

Great partnership with Taylor so far and I hope it continues
  • Options
    We do need a good song for Matty Taylor though ;-0
  • Options
    .....he's got a name like Terry Naylor
    Oh Matty Taylor plays at the back

Sorry
  • Options
    excellent at this level so far but Fish Costa Fortune were playing against the likes of Alan Shearer
  • Options

I woyld have thought that the Rufus-Youds combination would be pretty hard to beat, their form at the end of 97/98 was incredible.

Also, back in the old First Division days the Shirtliff-Miller pairing did us proud in some epic games.

• Options
    Didn't Youds only sign in Summer '98?  Was the title winning year in 99/00 I remember them being fantastic together.
  • Options
    Didn't Youds only sign in Summer '98?  Was the title winning year in 99/00 I remember them being fantastic together.
    Youds signed in around Feb/March 1998 as we steamed towards the Play Offs, came from Bradford for about 300K.
  • Options
    Shirtliff and Pates for me were excellent as a regular pairing but also these pairings for random games;

Moore and Berry away to Spurs in the FA Cup 1985 1-1.

Balmer and McLeary away to Blackburn FA Cup 1-0 win.

Hreidarsson and El Kharkouri away to Chelsea League Cup penalties win.

Fortune and Fish (and for the last 10 mins, Costa) 1-0 (Lisbie) win away to Chelsea.

Shirtliff and Miller in all of the play-off games v Leeds 1987.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You have to look at the relative levels that they all played at, but pound for pound the current pair are up there with the best.
  • Options
    Add the fact that they will only get better the more they play together.
  • Options
    Marvin Hinton didnt have a partner but brilliant.
  • Options
    Simon Webster must be up there alongside anyone.  Can't remember him losing tussle in the air too often.
  • Options
    Fortune and Fish (and for the last 10 mins, Costa) 1-0 (Lisbie) win away to Chelsea.

Ah yes, the old Fish Costa Fortune gag.
  • Options
    Rufus i still think was our best defender
  • Options
    Who can forget the fish costa fortune partnership. Youds came in about jan/feb. I think that we are talking about these pair albeit as npt as good as those others mentioned shows how much of an impression they have made and how they complement with the rest of the team
  • Options
    It says a lot about Chris Powell's ability to spot good players
  • Options
    I'm still wondering when Taylor and Morro are going to gel?

They'll be unbeatable then!
  • Options

Ah yes, the old Fish Costa Fortune gag.

It was actually: Young Fish Costa Fortune ;-)