Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Never.Ever.Gets.Old.

Comments

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHFkFqVcFGo

+1, although should probably be merged with the 'Youtube' thread.
  • Options
    I will never ever get bored of that...  goose bumps just watching it again.

Can have it's own thread on here every day as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Could watch that all day.
  • Options
    Brings tears of joy to my eyes everytime I see it.
  • Options
    Although I've watched it a thousand times as Shaun Newton steps up to take his penalty  I 'STILL' expect him to miss!
  • Options
    Although I've watched it a thousand times as Shaun Newton steps up to take his penalty  I 'STILL' expect him to miss!
    I remember on The Day Today, Alan Partridge was doing the sports round up and they'd managed to find two almost identical clips - one of which the player scored and the other he missed. The 'action replay' commentary was pretty hilarious.
  • Options
    Thanks.  
  • Options

Shaun Newton took about one step, I was in the stand saying 'Take a run up Shaun, take a run up'.

Then it went, ok don't bother with a run up Shaun.

• Options
    keith jones was who i had money to miss, dont know why maybe the way he ran up like a duck getting out of a pond... how wrong i was.
  • Options
    1 of those days where you can truely say it was a shame there had to be a loser.  Just glad it wasn't us!!

However, didn't Sunderland go on to win the league by about 10 million points the following season?  In which case everyone was happy, eventually
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bumped into Mark Kinsella outside the ground after that game. He was carrying the trophy and happily chatting away to some Sunderland fans, who were exceptionally nice despite being emotionally drained by the epic game. Kins also gave my disabled mate his autograph. What a day!
  • Options
    do you think we would have done what sunderland did the following season? 100 plus points and 100 plus goals...
  • Options
    do you think we would have done what sunderland did the following season? 100 plus points and 100 plus goals...
    No, we had an even stronger team two years later and were unable to do it. For some reason we would always tail off at the end of the season...
  • Options
    one of curbs lasting traits.. the march end of season slump.... only parky managed to turn that around when we made the playoffs.
  • Options
    Just think where we'd be if Curbs had managed us for the first 30 games and Parky for the rest...
  • Options
    sorry, I thought this was going to be about Neil Kinnock's last speech before the 1987 Election.............
  • Options
    Ilic was brilliant in the games leading up to that one, and decided on the day to have an utter mare.  Never gets dull though, for sure.
  • Options
    Life was never dull with Sasa Ilic in vaguely near the goal.
  • Options
    God I still get nervous watching those penalties...
  • Options
    what a team that was .. let's hope the current crew turn out to be as good
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All the goals were excellent as well (apart from rufus's which was pretty run of the mill).

Was eight at the time. Can't remember a huge amount apart from having my face painted.

Watching that was an excellent ten minute procrastination.
  • Options

For some hours I felt a lot older when I came out of Wembley than when I went in. Mentally exhausting.

• Options
    All the goals were excellent as well (apart from rufus's which was pretty run of the mill).

Was eight at the time. Can't remember a huge amount apart from having my face painted.

Watching that was an excellent ten minute procrastination.

No no no no no, Richard Rufus? You what? Richard is Richard, stunning. At the moment he scored my brain couldn't compute it, and I felt certain that it was Eddie Youds!

I have watched Charlton Athletic for very nearly fifty years, and Richard Rufus is close to the best ever player I have seen in a Charlton shirt ever ever ever. On that simple measure any goal scored by him is glorious in my eyes.

I don't know about Sam Bartram (and for that matter Stuart Leary) being denied an England cap, but Richard, ex captain of the England under 21's, should have won shedloads of caps, especially considering the dross that played there in his place.

Is there any Charlton supporter out there who would deny that Richard was something really really special?

• Options
    woah there. I was never implying that Rufus was in anyway run of the mill. Obviously, it's impossible to strip the context from that sort of occasion and as such, it is/was/will always be a very special goal...

Just that the other goals were all excellent finishes (including all the sunderland goals).

Is there any Charlton supporter out there who would deny that Richard was something really really special?

Definitely not me.

Am i right in thinking as well that his wembley goal was his first goal? What a place/occasion to score your first goal.

• Options
    I heard years ago that Curbs had told the team not to wave to their families or the fans as they walkrd out, but to concentrate purely on the game. Notice that he couldn't resist a glance up though.
  • Options
    Yeah ... Focused, no waving ... Was in his book ... Those highlights always get me emotional ... Nor sure why ... Just fantastic ...
  • Options
    The bit that always gets me is when the commentator mentions Illic after the penalty save "...who two years ago was playing non-league football..." as virtually every player and staff member throws themselves onto him.  Fairytale stuff.
  • Options

No no no no no, Richard Rufus? You what? Richard is Richard, stunning. At the moment he scored my brain couldn't compute it, and I felt certain that it was Eddie Youds!

I suspect that's probably the first, last and only time that anyone ever mistook Rufus for Youds! And they look so similar..
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Wonderful to watch again, but I've just noticed that our kick-off is illegal.  "The ball is in play when it is kicked and moved forward."  It used to be that the ball had to travel at least its circumference before being touched by another player, but that may have been relaxed.

Either way I'll let the FA know.  We'll have to play it again.

Same players, of course.  Same crowd.  Is everyone OK?

• Options
    edited November 2011

Wonderful to watch again, but I've just noticed that our kick-off is illegal.  "The ball is in play when it is kicked and moved forward."  It used to be that the ball had to travel at least its circumference before being touched by another player, but that may have been relaxed.

Either way I'll let the FA know.  We'll have to play it again.

Same players, of course.  Same crowd.  Is everyone OK?

I'm up for that, and whoever wins gets to go into the Prem, That's how it works isn't it?