Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cooking

edited November 2011 in Not Sports Related
Something we can say is defo not political.

As im "between contracts"  and always do a bit of cooking (brave as wife is a chef) i have been experimenting on a few things last couple of weeks.  Made a first class  pork risotto including making my own stock. Never done the stock bit before but defo the way forward if you have time. Made loads of great soups, again using my own stock ---cream of mushroom---chicken and mushroom and cream of vegetable.

Might try me hand at bread making  but dont want to have to redec the kitchen after it all goes wrong.

Must be some other "cooks" out there -maybe a menu swop. Bet they do this on the Bermonsey Pikeys board !!

Comments

• Options

This is obviously a political statement - we can all see through it!

;-)

• Options
    Surely bread-making is just a guardanista/left-wing plot to take jobs away from hard-working bakers.

I'm truly shocked GH
  • Options
    last night did my meatballs with chrizo and fresh pasta... awsome.
  • Options

I think we had a thread on cooking before. Anyway. I'm a baking fan myself, so lots of cakes and cookies. Got all the stuff at home to make my Christmas cake tonight. Plenty of time to feed it with booze before the big day :-)

Not really into cooking proper meals but that's because I live on my own and it's difficult cutting down the measurements. Plus it makes loads of mess that I don't want to wash up!

BBC Food website is good for recipes.

• Options
    got a lovely tofu,lentil and avocado salad recipe if you're interested?
  • Options
    edited November 2011

My mum used to make fantasic bread and dripping.

Do a big roast on Sunday. Then on Monday carefully scrape the residue from the pan. Take a slice of white bread and carefully spread the dripping over the bread. Enjoy.

• Options

Regarding the BBC food website, I picked up a recepie for "Toffee Apple Crumble" that is fantastic!

My specialities are: apple crumble (see above), Chill Con Carne and Shepherds Pie. Not a great cook, but did a fair bit in the 2 years I was "between contracts".

• Options
    Lemon pasta (for a main course) takes about five minutes and its fab.

Zest and juice of a lemon stirred into freshly grated parmesan with a drizzle of olive oil until the whole lot's a paste, then stir through hot pasta in the pan with a tiny bit of the pasta water. Serve with green salad (or just eat it out of the pan with a spoon).
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Last night I did my meatballs with chrizo and fresh pasta...awsome

That sounds perverted!!

• Options
    Agree. I did mine with Veet
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I made Boston Beans from the Hugh FW recipe on the BBC website - Boy, were they good beans.
  • Options

Last night I did my meatballs with chrizo and fresh pasta...awsome

That sounds perverted!!

git.. he he...;-)
  • Options

My mum used to make fantasic bread and dripping.

Do a big roast on Sunday. Then on Monday carefully scrape the residue from the pan. Take a slice of white bread and carefully spread the dripping over the bread. Enjoy.

Don't forget a bit of salt!
  • Options
    I make a mean beef wellington and the wife does a lovely cottage pie. She's also started doing fruit crumbles as we moved to a house with apple trees in back garden and blackberries in the alley at the side. :)
  • Options
    Herby cous cous - 250g of cous cous, chopped spring onions, 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic, 4 tomatoes seeded and diced, tablespoon of chopped mint, tablespoon of chopped coriander (or parsley if you can't eat coriander), salt and pepper, juice of 1 or 2 lemons, according to taste. Prepare the cous cous, then bung the whole lot in and mix thoroughly  - simples. A few sun dried tomatoes on the top.Serve with whatever takes your fancy - I usually do chicken piri-piri. The only thing I cook that the missus likes... 
  • Options
    Algarve    i have tried cous cous a few times have to say i havnt made a good 1 yet. Last one put loads of fresh bazil and mint from the garden but still comes out like ready mixed concrete !
  • Options
    Love to cook thai food, everything from curries through to satays, salads and stir frys.  All from scratch of course, its all in the paste
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    GH, put it in a bowl with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil, pour almost boiling water over it until it's just covered (about 2mm). Leave for five minutes and then fluff it up with a fork. Works for me.
  • Options
    My prolific basil plant has delivered some fine pesto this year.  Almost getting sick of it...  Almost...
  • Options

Another from the past

Spotted dick:    make a suet pudding, randomly push currents into it. Finally spinkle with sugar. (There were no PC police in those days)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I made an awsome pot noodle last night.............
  • Options
    I do most of the cooking as The Lass is working and I'm retired so tonight I'm cooking grilled pork belly with mashed spuds, peas and broad beans - all the ingredients, including the pork, are home grown.
  • Options
    love pork belly  great taste ----- mind you the only belly i have ever grown is me own.
  • Options
    The Boston beans features pork belly
  • Options
    I'm a chef myself. Working the pasta section at Jamie Oliver's new Italian which is opening on Sunday at Bluewater. Hardest thing I've ever done but immensely rewarding and the food is world class. 

Just launched a food blog, only one recipe up at the moment but will be adding another two tomorrow. Training has been intense so haven't had the time recently.

Check it out, yeah? I'd appreciate some feedback. Not too sure on the layout at the moment.
  • Options
    The way to a fine curry:
    http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/kris+dhillon/the+curry+secret+28ebook29/7965822/

No curry paste used here, all made from fresh ingredients- tastes divine!
  • Options
    My wife is a Thai chef and they all use pastes.

Im doing home made  beef burgers with bazil (thats in them not eating em).

sausage pie later in the week
  • Options
    I work in the bakery business - the key to making bread at home is to mix the dough properly & best way to do that is with a kitchen aid mixer and dough hook - takes about 10-15 mins on medium speed to mix it properly.....
  • Options
    Im having ago at making bread on saturday morning 
  • Options

my mums food blog

http://www.marymade.co.uk/