Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

After the F.I.F.A. England Poppy Scandal -A Film to mark 11.11.11.11.

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
Not a Charlton related posting but hopefully some of you will take the time to watch this short film tomorrow on the unique 11.11.11.11. anniversary on Friday.

Tomorrow the two minute silence on Remembrance Day, that falls on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month will fall for the first time on the 11th year of the century.  At St Paulinus Church in Crayford, children from St Joseph's RC and St Paulinus CE School will join to remember an ordinary lad whose story has helped them understand the significance of those poppies that the England team will wear on their armbands on Saturday.  They will participate in a special service in the church and later perform a musical in honour of an ordinary lad whose story has captured their imagination and helped them to understand the strength of feeling that helped to convince FIFA to overturn their poppy ban. The schools will also be screening a film they have made with the help of the same team that put together the Charlton animated film: Bartram, the Blitz and Beyond.

Paid for by the Heritage Lottery Funded to mark this unique anniversary the film tells the story of Chalky White-The Crayford Swallow, who was the first soldier to be buried in his home town during WW1 and whose funeral made the front page of the local paper in 1916.  In a way he was Crayford's very own Unknown Warrior-an ordinary bloke whose funeral was attended by the whole town as by paying their respects to Chalky they could perhaps remember one of their own lost forever on one of the battlefield in Flanders.

I know this wont be everyone's thing but it would be nice to hear any comments on the children's film from those interested enough to take the 12minutes you will need to take in the story.  The link to the film is below:

http://vimeo.com/28681457

Comments

• Options
    Hi BB, just a quickfirer from Ypres where I with a tour group for the week to say what an excellent effort that is a credit to your school, as a group we walked from Locre to Messines yesterday, I feel I should go back now to look at the 2/Buffs actions in the same area, I am under the Menin Gate tomorrow for 11 and will spare a thought for Chalkey, please pass on my best regards to those responsible for this film and well done again,
  • Options
    Hi SE7-Thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment.  Its a long time since I have been out to the Western Front myself.  I went about five years ago so that I could go to Thiepval to see the memorial to my grandad's uncle Monty who was killed on the Somme in 1916. I always regret having to cancel a trip my wife organised for me to go with Charlton fan and WW1 expert Clive Harris to walk the battlefields where he died.  Good luck tomorrow and its nice to think that Chalky will be remembered in the place where he suffered his terrible wound.  We have the shell of our website up that has the story book illustrated by famous author illustrator Michael Foreman on it. 

http://ww1.crayfordhistory.co.uk/index/home/
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Your making me blush, theres no such thing as an expert! I am Clive, if you ever want to go again I am sure we can sort something out, lest we forget

Remembering Derek Woods - 19/3/88 - Penny Lane, Belfast
    Kevin Froggett - 16/9/89 - Coalisland RUC Station
    Cheero old chums

• Options
    What a fantastic piece, very moving and credit to all involved. Lest we forget.
  • Options
    Excellent!