Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Maritime Museum Greenwich

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
Anyone been recently?  Is it worth a visit?

Comments

• Options
    You bet ya!
  • Options
    definitely
  • Options
    We spend a couple of hours therefore before a match on a regular basis, Weegie - and it's quite superb. One of the best free 'attractions' in the whole of London (although there is a charge in the Royal Observatory).
  • Options
    Not been for about 5 years now but have been many times over the years and have always enjoyed it. Must make a point of going again soon.
  • Options
    It's very good but there are a lot of boats
  • Options
    If you are taking young kids there is a good "interactive" gallery on top floor.
  • Options
    Well worth a visit
  • Options
    It's excellent, especially the section on The Battle of Trafalgar (which includes the very coat Nelson was wearing when he died)
  • Options

I visited The Victory in Portsmouth a few years back and there's a big brass plaque on the deck which reads "Nelson fell here".

I'm not surprised............... I fell over it myself!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    National Maritime Museum.
    Just had a re-vamp. Largets new development opened this year Sammy Ofer wing.
    Superb place to visit.
  • Options
    It's excellent, especially the section on The Battle of Trafalgar (which includes the very coat Nelson was wearing when he died)
    Shame they haven't got his CAFC shirt as well  (number ten, I seem to remember?)
  • Options
    new parts of the Museum look amazing
  • Options
    Is the Naval College open? Went to a cocktail party on Cutty Sark years ago, then to the mess with 100ft bar where civvies like us couldn't't buy drinks, so all freebies. Mural in Chapel was amazing.
  • Options
    superb museum visit followed by a walk up the hill past Wolfe's statue and the meridian line/observatory, through the rose garden and then across the heath for a beer and snack by the pond next to the Princess of Wales .. make it quick before the whole area is cordoned off and the horses ruin the place during the olympics
  • Options
    Has the Cutty Sark re-opened yet? 
  • Options
    can the ship really be called the Cutty Sark any longer ? The clipper was a total write off and has been 'rebuilt' so is now really a replica C S. 
  • Options
    Re opens around April.
    Most of the timbers were saved from the fire and a large proportion of the rest of the ship, for example over a half of all the decking, had been removed and placed in storage or for restoration at the time of the fire. Most of the damage was in the centre of the ship, and my father's friend, who works for the trust, says less than 10% of the original fabric of what is after all a grade 1 listed ship, was destroyed.