Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Record players

Got me thinking when reading the Quadrophenia thread.

I have loads of vinyl that I want to transfer directly to the computer and ipod.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably cheap record player that connects to the computer and that you can actually play records on?

Remembering that I'm in Southampton please don't suggest a little back street shop in Greenwich unless they have a website.

Thanking you all in advance.

(For younger viewers vinyl are those black round things that are usually 7 of 12 inches with a little hole in the middle).

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, I can't help, thought it was gonna be about Trevor Francis, Zinedine Zidane etc.
  • Options
    I think Maplins do a USB turntable which you can also connect to your hifi.
  • Options
    I think Maplins do a USB turntable which you can also connect to your hifi.

Thanks for that.

HI-FI.  You must be as old as me (or older).  

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I have a Project Essential USB (@ around £200 was a bit expensive but was partly a present). The sound is great, looks good and I'm very happy with it. Bit fiddly to change speeds though.

I just record in Audacity on Mac. (PC Also)

I was going to go for the Ion Profile (£70/80) but decided to treat myself to something less budget. I imagine it does the job well though.

• Options

Cheers East. I've been looking on a few websites but being a technophobe it makes it difficult to choose;

I suppose I need to see what I'm buying when it's something like this.

• Options
    Whilst on this (Sorry southamptonaddick) does anyone know if there is a machine out there that can record Vinyl onto CD's ?
  • Options

I faced the same problem wasn't sure of the best way to go about it. The advice I received from asking around was that the USB turntables all gave a poor sound quality.

In the end I bought a quality CD recorder off of ebay (for a 100 quid total bargain ;-) ) & use that to record direct from my Technics deck. Great sound quality & then just load the CD onto my computer.

Of course if you don't have hi fi equipment to start with that's of no use at all ;-)

• Options
    Same thought when i started the Quad thread "ill get the album out the loft ,havnt played it in years"  then remembered i dont have anything to play it on thats why the vinyl is in the loft !
  • Options
    You can connect any turntable to a PC, you just need the right lead and programme.
    You can get turntables now that you can plug your ipod into and record the vinyl straight to that.

You can pick up a USB turntable for about £50 now.
    Search on the internet and you will find them easily enough. Zennox USB Turntable Now £29.99

I have the Pro-ject Debut MK2 Espirit.

One last thing, IF you have any records in your loft and you think its a crying shame that they are hidden away. Give them to me. I will look after them for you. Would look nice in my collection
  • Options
    You will always envy My collection Tubes......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vinyl came out of loft last weekend, nothing to play it on, been up there eleven years. Taking the albums to a shop in Bexhill tomorrow to see what they will offer. 12" and singles will be dumped.
  • Options
    Large: Please don't throw any away.
    I'll pick them up and pass straight on to CWLC: He will give them all a safe home.

• Options

Large looks you need to contact cwlc (or the other way round) and let him have the stuff you don't want.

I don't think I could ever chuck my records out. Plus my youngest son thinks some of them are worth a few quid, 12" Anarchy in the UK etc, so he gone flog them when I'm gone.

I'm definately gonna get meself a USB turntable and bore everyone with my stuff. 

• Options
    DO NOT THROW ANY AWAY. I will give any records a good home.

have you got many albums you want to sell?

message me large
  • Options
    I picked up loads of vinyl from the dump at Ruxley, old Bowie albums and lots more. They would've been crushed!

Try not to dump 'em Large, the shop may take them.

It is a bit confusing, digitising vinyl, especially when it comes to using any turntable as you may sometimes need a pre-amp I believe, but that's as techie as I go.

However much you spend, you also need the time to record them!

• Options
    DO NOT THROW ANY AWAY. I will give any records a good home.

have you got many albums you want to sell?

message me large
    Hello !?  Hello !!  Hello ??
  • Options
    Sod the shop, i might take them

Hello mog
  • Options

As MOG on another thread said he could del FOC I'm sure a trip to the south coast stopping off in Southampton on his way to Bournemouth wouldn't be a problem.

Firstly though Large what sort of music are we talking. I'm not interested in all your boyband stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    http://store.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/products/productdetail/part_number=Gyro SE/1765.0.4.3.58826.83412.0.0.0?pp=8&

A piece of engineering beauty.
    If I had the money I'd have one, something for the wife to dust.
  • Options
    I'll take any vinyls to. Love collecting them, any Bowie, Weller, The Jam, Smiths, Beatles etc laying about. Let me know!